INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nice story about Boys home near lakeside

5 posters

Go down

Nice story about Boys home near lakeside  Empty Nice story about Boys home near lakeside

Post by simpsca Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 am

I found this link on another chat group and it's worth a read. I've seen this school on the hill on the right when you go to Guad. the Jocotopec way almost at the junction of the main carraterra into Guad. http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/3903-mexico-s-boys-town-villa-de-los-ni%C3%B1os
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Nice story about Boys home near lakeside  Empty Re: Nice story about Boys home near lakeside

Post by Carry Bean Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 am

I think that's the place that a very nice woman (can't remember her name) does a lot of baking & sells her goods at the Monday Market. She does it to benefit this home. She also had a table at Can-AM & her baked goods are outstanding.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Nice story about Boys home near lakeside  Empty Re: Nice story about Boys home near lakeside

Post by quiltbugj Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 am

Wonderful. One of the things we are really looking forward to is volunteering.
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:39 pm

This is truly awesome. By the way, isn't there a girl's school near Joco that maybe somewhat similar? I don't know the selection process or how it's funded. Could be just a posh finishing school for all I know.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

I understand there is a similar school near Jocotopec similar to the boys school. But due to the age of my brain, don't remember where I read about it.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 pm

The Jaltepec Institute is a girls business school where the students learn all aspects of hotel and restaurant management, accounting, nutrition, English skills, computer skills, personal grooming and hygiene etc. It is a 2 year residential program and the results are amazing. The students compete in business expo's all over Mexico and often win. I sponsor a student at the Institute. Jaltepec Institute holds various open houses and fundraising dinners over the year and they also run a retreat/conference centre attached to the school that is fully booked about 3 years in advance. The students run all aspects of the retreat as part of their studies, including food prep, housekeeping, laundry, etc.
It is an amazing asset and has a great history. I will post the next open house tour date if anyone is interested in visiting. The grounds of the school are breathtaking and the programs are wonderful.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:13 am

I'm very interested
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanks Grizzy for your response re the girl's school. My question remains. How do they fund ? We would prefer to support organizations that have immediate needs, and we sort of know who they are, on both sides of the Lake, who REALLY need the $. These are situations where a directed $100 goes way further than a shotgunned $100 at a multinational thingy. On living there, we would be hands on on whatever voluntary level we could provide. Being Buddhist, a philosophy, I have NO time for organized religions. They get no $ from us. On the other hand, we can provide $, love, hugs and kisses and support, creed less. Meantime, all my rels are Anglicans (Church of England,, Episcopalians, whatever). Blah, blah.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Grizzy, please keep us in mind re the next tour date. May not be there. Always interested. Thx.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:21 am

Here is an article in the Ojo del Lago about the girls school Doesn't say how it is funded. I have seen them have fund raisers - dinners promoted by people from NOB. http://chapala.com/elojo/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1561%3Ajaltepec-where-dreams-come-true-&catid=110%3Aapril-2012&Itemid=145

And this page has a link for tax deductible donations - http://www.culturalmimiahuapan.org.mx/ways.htm
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 am

They are funded by donations and I believe they receive a small amount from the Jalisco gov't due to being an accredited technical institute but that is a guess on my part.
There is a lot of misinformation about the school because of it's origins.
A group of wealthy Guadalajaran businessmen deeded the property to the school decades ago and stipulated that Opus Dei oversee the books. This makes for a lot of wrong information on the streets I have learned. They are not an Opus Dei institution, and all money raised goes to the school itself. But I have had people tell me to "be careful up there" thinking they are out of the movies I guess. *shrug* They do not push the OD agenda to the students. There are chapels on site and Mexico being predominately Catholic I would assume that masses are held for the girls.
I like their focus on making girls/women self sufficient and I like the success stories I have seen from the graduates of the school, more so in a country that is a century behind in women's rights.

The students accepted must raise the money for the first semester and are financed for the balance of the program by donations/scholarships. They must maintain a certain grade point to stay enrolled and live onsite. Families are encouraged to visit on Sundays and special events are held for families and sponsors over the school year. The students do all the cooking, laundry, housekeeping etc for not only the school itself but the retreat next door while studying.

They have obtained charitable tax status in the US, or it is very imminent (I am not from the US so didn't pay much attention).
I will post info on the next tour/fund raiser. They also have a website with info on it. I need more coffee to find and post a link here :)
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 am

I hear the food is just wonderful at the fund raisers.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down