INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

+20
hound dog
seisdedos
Parker
CheenaGringo
David
ferret
E-raq
Big Daddy Mexico
Battlecat
ComputerGuy
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
Flamingo
Guiness
arturo cuatro ojos
gringal
CanuckBob
borderreiver
johninajijic
Grizzy
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 4 Empty Re: New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

Post by Trailrunner Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 am

LOL that would be the deciding factor!

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 4 Empty Re: New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey

Post by seisdedos Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:39 am

In my observations, it is usually the very young that put ketchup on their pizzas in Mexico.

One thing I have observed here in Italy is that they have far too many rules and restrictions concerning the cuisine here. Especially pasta and coffee.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by northernguy Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 am

seisdedos wrote:In my observations, it is usually the very young that put ketchup on their pizzas in Mexico.

One thing I have observed here in Italy is that they have far too many rules and restrictions concerning the cuisine here. Especially pasta and coffee.

What area are you in? Do they serve thin crust or thicker crust or does that depend on region?

northernguy

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:08 am

northernguy wrote:

What area are you in? Do they serve thin crust or thicker crust or does that depend on region?

We have been from the very north, Sudtirol, to as far south as Rome (which is considered southern Italy) and almost all has been thin crust. The thick cust we have found to be available at bakeries that also sell pizza. But at all of the restaurants and pizzerias we have dined at, thin crust seems to be the norm.

There is a very good restaurant near my daughter's home in Milan whose owners are from Rome and the food they serve is from that region. Their pizza is thin.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 am

I have a question about the Junky Monkey's pizza crust. I have heard many comments on how good their Pizza. I have also heard that thier crust taste that of a tortilla. Any comments on this? thanks

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 am

Did not taste like tortilla to me; tasted like a mildly-sweet/salty proper pizza crust.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by northernguy Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 am

little italy wrote:I have a question about the Junky Monkey's pizza crust. I have heard many comments on how good their Pizza. I have also heard that thier crust taste that of a tortilla. Any comments on this? thanks

I cannot answer that for JM coz I've never been there. But I do know that a few places don't make pizza crust like it's supposed to be made. To name two, Pepe's and Alessandro's in Riberas.

northernguy

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 am

northernguy wrote:
little italy wrote:I have a question about the Junky Monkey's pizza crust. I have heard many comments on how good their Pizza. I have also heard that thier crust taste that of a tortilla. Any comments on this? thanks

I cannot answer that for JM coz I've never been there. But I do know that a few places don't make pizza crust like it's supposed to be made. To name two, Pepe's and Alessandro's in Riberas.

Aw c'mon John........go get some of the new place's pizza and THEN tell us what you think of it. We already know which aren't right. There's been a lot of input on TOB and it sounds like they'll make the crust your way...thin or thick.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Exactly how is pizza crust supposed to made? Between one place and the next the crust has varied here in Italy. From paper thin to a focaccia type dough.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:19 pm

"Exactly how is pizza crust supposed to made?"

Seems to me that is a matter of personal preference? I live with a self proclaimed "pizza critic" but we do not agree on crusts.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Probably starts with where you grew up and had your first pizzas, although lots of people who discovered thin crusts later in life now prefer them. "Gourmet" pizza places always offer thin crusts; that may have something to do with it. I prefer mine medium. An example to compare: Monkey's and SuperLake's are too thin for me... although I happily scarf them down anyway.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:49 pm

For a quick pizza fix at home we use pita bread/pan arabe with our own toppings,not gourmet but not too bad either.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Anything that works as a "delivery mechanism", is what I say. To me, it's all about what's on top. I just wish I could get my oven hot enough to do a crust justice.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Anything that works as a "delivery mechanism", is what I say. To me, it's all about what's on top. I just wish I could get my oven hot enough to do a crust justice.

HG, Have you tried a Pizza Stone? You can them in ceramic or earthenware. They mimic the effects of cooking in a masonary oven. My wife uses an eartenware 16 inch and it works great for either thin or thick crust. In a pinch a couple layers of unglazed lead free tile works. Beer Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Yes, in fact I ordered one from Amazon a couple of years ago. It does help (as long as I put cornmeal on it before cooking), but it doesn't help enough.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Could be your oven? Our oven wasn't holding temp.....going up and down like a yo-yo. We bought a new oven and a good oven thermo., problem solved. You are right don't forget the cornmeal.....LOL
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 pm

SOME pizza stones can be used on a BBQ. It takes a bit of trial and error to get a handle on cooking by this method but the results can be worth it. If you are using a wood pizza paddle, may sure the flames are turned off. Better yet, use a metal pizza spatula.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:01 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:SOME pizza stones can be used on a BBQ. It takes a bit of trial and error to get a handle on cooking by this method but the results can be worth it. If you are using a wood pizza paddle, may sure the flames are turned off. Better yet, use a metal pizza spatula.

Come on CG.....it's alot of work to make the dough, do the rest of the prep work.....etc. not to mention the frustration of failure. Ask my wife....LOL Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Jim:

The learning curve isn't all that difficult! Kathy doesn't do anything different to her dough other than to give the exposed edges a light coat of extra virgin olive oil. I have cooked/baked them in both our Weber Kettle and our Jenn-Air Gas and they can be similar to the flavor achieved in a wood fired pizza oven. For the gas grill, I make up a foil packet of wood pellets and add the pizza right when the packets begin to smoke. I have found that baking on the grill is less about time and more about visually determining when done.

Here is an example of one: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sky-Grilling-Products-RSGP205GPS/dp/B001V7K7X6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348097916&sr=8-3&keywords=BBQ+pizza+stone

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:17 pm

CG.....You are probably correct, however, wife has perfected in oven Blackeye , I thank you for input. PEACE MY FRIEND! flag waver
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Jim:

There is a story about my "poor man's solution" to a pizza oven. Kathy has wanted a real wood fired pizza oven for years but the situation hasn't been right to go through the process and expense of having one built. I decided that to keep peace in the family, I would learn how to do a pizza on the BBQ.

When we were in Oaxaca, we went out for dinner at Il Fornaro and that stated the conversations all over again:
[img]New Pizza place open - The Junky Monkey - Page 4 Dscn3612[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4