INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organic, a word I've always had a problem with...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Organic, a word I've always had a problem with... - Page 2 Empty Re: Organic, a word I've always had a problem with...

Post by ferret Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:21 pm

It better be an organic carrot!...or you'll not only be able to see better at night...you'll glow in the dark.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Organic, a word I've always had a problem with... - Page 2 Empty Re: Organic, a word I've always had a problem with...

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I miss organic milk. It tasted better & it's one thing organic my niece, who is a medical professional only feeds her kids including 2 daughters after seeing way too many little girls developing much earlier than usual which she puts down to the hormones in the regular milk.

Hormone free milk is easy to get in US.
Many dairies don't use growth hormones.
If you use low temperature pasturization (sp)
you can have your taste and safety also.
High temperature pasturization (sp) ruins the
taste but it is quick which is why agrabusiness
likes it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/2011/07/18/mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

This article should be read whether you are pro or against.organic. As with everything there are tradeoffs.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:37 pm

I smoke, I drink, I eat red meat, and whenever I feel like exercising I lie down until the feeling goes away.

So I am the absolutely WORST person to give health advice.

But I gave up milk a LONG time ago. Same with honey. Makes no sense to me to consume pre-digested food. Neither of those foods was evolved as a food for humans.

Just my personal opinion, I don't expect anyone to buy in to my point of view.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

No milk eh? Does that mean you don't eat ice cream, yogurt, butter or cheese?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 am

ferret wrote:No milk eh? Does that mean you don't eat ice cream, yogurt, butter or cheese?

It isn't a religious decision so I do indulge occasionally but dairy is not part of my regular diet.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 am

Axixic wrote:
ferret wrote:No milk eh? Does that mean you don't eat ice cream, yogurt, butter or cheese?

It isn't a religious decision so I do indulge occasionally but dairy is not part of my regular diet.

Nevermind milk. Have you had a chance to try Romeo and Julietta's Italian Gelato yet? Located in the same row as Angelica's, about a block east of Superlake. Oh YUM!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 am

Not yet, but I will put that on my "to do" list.

I was only in Italy once and just for a few days but one of my fond memories of that time is stopping (frequently) for gelato from the street vendors. Pistachio was my favourite.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:11 am

Axixic wrote:

Actually I hadn’t thought much about not eating dairy products and it’s certainly isn’t a conscious decision but we rarely eat dairy. We love the cream sauces, cheeses and all but on a day to day bases we eat very little of it.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:56 am

Axixic wrote:I smoke, I drink, I eat red meat, and whenever I feel like exercising I lie down until the feeling goes away.

But I gave up milk a LONG time ago. Same with honey. Makes no sense to me to consume pre-digested food. Neither of those foods was evolved as a food for humans.

Till the feeling goes away.....lol...I liked that one....

How bout butter with yer Lobster, sour creme on the baked potatoe?
Creme in the coffee?
Dairy is all around you.... almost have to deliberatetly avoid it like one of them Veggie Fellers....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:09 pm

The results after Axixic achieves his no dairy goal:
[img]Organic, a word I've always had a problem with... - Page 2 927-8r10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm

At first, your comment about not eating pre-digested food sounded worth pursuing, from a strictly intellectual, logical point of view. But I realized that people have been eating honey and drinking milk for thousands of years, and neither of these foods has ever caused any grief... except for those who are lactose intolerant, and that intolerance is a result of other influences... it's not the milk itself. "Pre-digested" from bees is perhaps misleading... not because it isn't, but because it suggests to the human mind that that's just not right. However, in the case of honey, the bee is just an organic machine.

When I cook a carrot down to softness, as far as I'm concerned, that's a pre-digestion, too... it loses most of its relevance as food. But it sure tastes good. On the other hand, I used to tell my Mom I wouldn't eat any animal organs... but that was just to prevent her from cooking liver.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:20 pm

HelperGuy wrote:At first, your comment about not eating pre-digested food sounded worth pursuing, from a strictly intellectual, logical point of view. But I realized that people have been eating honey and drinking milk for thousands of years, and neither of these foods has ever caused any grief... except for those who are lactose intolerant, and that intolerance is a result of other influences... it's not the milk itself. "Pre-digested" from bees is perhaps misleading... not because it isn't, but because it suggests to the human mind that that's just not right. However, in the case of honey, the bee is just an organic machine.

When I cook a carrot down to softness, as far as I'm concerned, that's a pre-digestion, too... it loses most of its relevance as food. But it sure tastes good. On the other hand, I used to tell my Mom I wouldn't eat any animal organs... but that was just to prevent her from cooking liver.

Not trying to be a smartass.... cause it just comes naturally....;)
Carrots actually release more nutrients after cooking ... they are rather unique that way!!
Beer The wife is ( almost ) a Chef
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Okay, okay... most veggies, then...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Axixic wrote:I smoke, I drink, I eat red meat, and whenever I feel like exercising I lie down until the feeling goes away.

Ditto, I do the same regardless of advice to the contrary. However, although I drink no milk, I love cheese and butter, also contrary to advice given by the medical community. So, the big question is who's gonna live longer? Those who enjoy themselves or the follow the doctor crowd?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:22 pm

HelperGuy wrote:When I cook a carrot down to softness, as far as I'm concerned, that's a pre-digestion, too... it loses most of its relevance as food. But it sure tastes good.

Not that I have a clue what I am talking about but I don't think you can equate cooking with digesting. If the processes were even similar I would expect cooking to reduce the caloric value of food, which I don't believe it does.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:The results after Axixic achieves his no dairy goal:
Organic, a word I've always had a problem with... - Page 2 927-8r10

Neil,

That is the most negative post I have ever seen you make!
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rella Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:55 pm

OK......I need my cheese and....SALTED butter........will I be able to find this down there???

Please say yes.

Rella

Humor : definitely

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Salted butter very expensive here, and only available in a couple of stores, unless you use Mexican salted butter. Two imported varieties currently run 42 pesos for 400 grams, and up.

Many of us find Mexican butter to taste rancid. We are working on the manager of a local CostCo to bring in Kirkland salted butter; seems like that could take a while.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Lurpac (the Danish salted and unsalted butter) is in Walmart, Superlake, El Torito and a few other stores as well.
Anchor (the New Zealand salted and unsalted butter) is available in the same places.
Cheese...what kind? Monterrey Jack, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Monterrey Jack with Jalapenos, Brie, Camembert, Blue, Goat...they're all here...in both Walmart and Superlake. A choice of crackers to put them on? Superlake.
Yes these things are expensive but, IMHO, there is no substitution for real butter and really good cheese.
AND, if you want to be truly decadent...try making a grilled cheese with old cheddar and raisin bread from the Tuesday market. I'm gonna have to limit those to once every couple of weeks. Divine.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Expensive is a relative term. There is no substitute, as Ferret said, for the real deal. My personal preference is Anchor salted. I don't give a rats what it costs, can't live without it. Any shortage, which occasionally happens, is cause for extreme household panic, and a shopping trip to all known previous locations. BTW this used to be 18 pesos, but things change, and so must we. We usually pay about 30 pesos for half a pound. Known locations, Mega Mercado, Superlake, el Torito. If all else fails, buy the huge anchor unsalted in Costco, and whip it up with sea salt to taste. There are recipes on the net.

Geez, that raisin bread grilled cheese sound delicious. Gotta try that asap.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:24 pm

I've been finding both the salted and unsalted versions of the Lurpak at (gasp) Walmart. No problem.
The best butter is the salted homedone butter sold by the lady who sometimes has samples on Saturdays at Superlake.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks Gringal...I've been waiting for a recommendation for the Marlowe's homemade butter. I'll try it soon.
E-raq...you can freeze butter. We always have a minimum of 6 in the freezer to draw down from...I HATE those unexpected shortages that occur occasionally and can last for an unknown period of time.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Relative to me, it's still expensive. And I still keep buying it. But I have surplanted all my cooking butter needs with unsalted from CostCo. I save the good stuff for toast and the like. Anchor used to be available at all the same stores as Lurpak, but I have only seen it SuperLake for months now. When they do get it in, it is an amazingly well-priced 28 pesos... but I noticed on the last batch that August 2012 is the expiry date on all packages: same as the previous bunch I bought two months before that.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

@gringal, at first I kind of liked Marlowes, and this is just a personal thing, but I found the texture not to be to our liking. Other than that it's pretty good, and the tubs are very useful.

@ferret, Ditto for me, we always always always keep ahead a minimum of six packages of Anchor, salted. Usually not in the freezer, so will stock up again, another 6 for the freezer. Thanks.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum