INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo

5 posters

Go down

Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo Empty Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo

Post by Pescador Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Any suggestions or tips from persons who have done this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo Empty Re: Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo

Post by brigitte Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 am

It is a good road from Uruapan. Not particularly safe territory.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

brigitte wrote:It is a good road from Uruapan. Not particularly safe territory.

brigitte,

Could you give a little more info on the "Not particularly safe territory".

Thanks,

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 pm

When we stayed at the beach in Troncones near Zihuatanejo we heard reports of assaults on the coastal road.
I met someone who was stopped on the main cuota and got stopped. Two guys were going to burn their car but some large vehicule came so they changed their mind and burnt that vehicule instead.
It is Familia territory (around Nueva Italia) and things happen. There were lots of Federales on the highway when we went down because of some ambush at one of the booths.
No one bothered us but we were a little nervous when about 100 Federales in various well armed pick ups passed us and stopped in front of us at one of the booths, to put their bullet proof jackets . We waited a little to give them time to be way in front if us..
The costal road can be a little lonely ..
Had a great time at Troncones so since nothing happened it was worth going but we will not go back.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Can you tell us when you had that experience, brigitte?

I ask because I have a soft spot in my heart for Zihuatanejo, though haven't been in probably ten years. Previous trips were when I flew in from the US. But now that I live here, I know how easy it would be to get there by driving, etc.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 pm

April 2011 if my memory is correct.
There were problems in that area then and I am sure it is like everywhere else , it has its up and down. It is a question of checking out the papers before going.
The traffic with the trucks tends to go to Lazaro Cardenas and once your go south on the coast, the road is much lonelier. The road does not have a good reputation for safety but I am sure you can hear from many people that they did it and did not have any problems.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:53 am

Since we like Michoacan and pretty much go there every time we make a Mexico trip, I pay fairly close attention to the Mexican media reports out of Michoacan. Brigitte's assessment of the current security situation aligns with what I have read recently. Off and on, the triangle comprised of Apatzingan, Nueva Italia and Uruapan has been a hub of activity for the La Familia Cartel and the offshoot Knights Templar Cartel. Lazaro Cardenas, being the port where drugs and illicit chemicals are imported has also experienced spikes of violence. There has been a heavy presence of both Military and extra Federale forces throughout the State and for right now, their efforts have the cartels relatively under control and in a weakened state.

We have never driven the highway to Lazaro Cardenas or the coast highway, so I defer to the opinions expressed by Brigitte regarding the actual highway safety.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks Brigitte and CheenaGringo.

Brigitte can you remember how long the driving time was from Ajijic to Zihuat?

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Pescador:

I am guessing that Brigitte is probably away from the keyboard. Since I was curious, I looked at this route from a couple of different sources:
1) Our GPS says 364 miles with a driving time of 6 hours 47 minutes.
2) Google Maps says 333 miles with a driving time of 6 hours 45 minutes

While both chose essentially the same route, I personally have a problem with the routing. They are suggesting HWY 37 down through Cheran and Paracho and then into Uruapan. There are major problems in the Cheran area due to a dispute over illegal logging. As far as I know, the town still has barricades set up both entering and exiting town. It is my understanding that neither the Military or the State Police will enter this area. One could go through Patzcuaro adding about 30 miles and another half hour or through Morelia adding about 70 miles and a good hour to the trip.

Having made the drive, Brigitte may have some other ideas?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:18 pm

CheenaGringo,

Thank very much for taking the time to check on this for me, very much appreciated. Maybe better staying on the cuota road to Morelia then back down to 37.

CheenaGringo wrote:Pescador:

I am guessing that Brigitte is probably away from the keyboard. Since I was curious, I looked at this route from a couple of different sources:
1) Our GPS says 364 miles with a driving time of 6 hours 47 minutes.
2) Google Maps says 333 miles with a driving time of 6 hours 45 minutes

While both chose essentially the same route, I personally have a problem with the routing. They are suggesting HWY 37 down through Cheran and Paracho and then into Uruapan. There are major problems in the Cheran area due to a dispute over illegal logging. As far as I know, the town still has barricades set up both entering and exiting town. It is my understanding that neither the Military or the State Police will enter this area. One could go through Patzcuaro adding about 30 miles and another half hour or through Morelia adding about 70 miles and a good hour to the trip.

Having made the drive, Brigitte may have some other ideas?

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Pescador:

I have no idea if you have any experience driving in Morelia but IMO, it is one of the worst places to drive through we have experienced in Mexico. It seems that each time we are forced to take a varying route because of construction and if one hits at the wrong time of day, it almost doubles the amount of time and aggravation. Our personal preference would be to take the Panindicuaro exit off Mexico 15D and follow the following route to Patzcuaro:
[img]Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo Patz10[/img]
If you were to consider making this into a two day drive, I might recommend the following Patzcuaro hotel: http://mesondesanantonio.com/Main.htm
Super spot and an easy walk to Lupita's Restaurante, which we consider the best restaurant in Patzcuaro: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/RESTAURANTLUPITASPATZCUAROMICHOACAN?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSxsaPOt8LpCw#slideshow/5649343728605090450

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:34 pm

We went to Troncones and stayed there the first few days and took trip to Zihuatanejo and other places on the coast. It took us around 6 as the road was really deserted coming back. We went to Zamora, Paracho Uruapan did a detour via Nueva Italia to check out the place then straight down 37 to the coast.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Lots of GOOD info here, very much appreciated.

CheenaGringo wrote:Pescador:

I have no idea if you have any experience driving in Morelia but IMO, it is one of the worst places to drive through we have experienced in Mexico. It seems that each time we are forced to take a varying route because of construction and if one hits at the wrong time of day, it almost doubles the amount of time and aggravation. Our personal preference would be to take the Panindicuaro exit off Mexico 15D and follow the following route to Patzcuaro:
[img]Driving from Ajijic to Zihuatanejo Patz10[/img]
If you were to consider making this into a two day drive, I might recommend the following Patzcuaro hotel: http://mesondesanantonio.com/Main.htm
Super spot and an easy walk to Lupita's Restaurante, which we consider the best restaurant in Patzcuaro: https://picasaweb.google.com/118146709599975173363/RESTAURANTLUPITASPATZCUAROMICHOACAN?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSxsaPOt8LpCw#slideshow/5649343728605090450

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated.

brigitte wrote:We went to Troncones and stayed there the first few days and took trip to Zihuatanejo and other places on the coast. It took us around 6 as the road was really deserted coming back. We went to Zamora, Paracho Uruapan did a detour via Nueva Italia to check out the place then straight down 37 to the coast.

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 pm

The road between Zacapu and Quiroga is gorgeous, also, especially this time of year. (So long as you don't mind the eleven pueblos, etc., with all their incumbent topes.)

If I were trying to make the drive in one day, I'd probably stick to the cuotas all the way, going through Morelia (which is a breeze, unless it isn't). Otherwise, I'd overnight somewhere along the way if I was in a "what's the rush?" kind of mood.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldergeek Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 pm

The route suggested by CheenaGringo is a good one. It's exactly four hours from Ajijic to Pátzcuaro by this route, then about three and a half hours to Zihua on the cuota and the coast highway. That's assuming that you maintain a pretty good speed on the cuotas.
Eldergeek
Eldergeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 am

We haven't been to Patzcuaro in 3 or 4 years. We used to get off the Cuota at Churintzio (37), then down to (15) to Zacapu, Quiroga, Patzcuaro. Is it worth the extra toll booth fee (148 Pesos) to exit at Panindcuaro?

Thanks,
P

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 am

Having never driven that route, I don't have an opinion. I do remember plenty of topes once one hooks up with 15 and heads toward Zacapu. Not that the other route doesn't have plenty!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down