INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad Medicine

+4
gringal
E-raq
viajero
Trailrunner
8 posters

Go down

Bad Medicine Empty Bad Medicine

Post by Trailrunner Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:41 am

I want to report these 2 experiences so people will have a heads-up regarding the medical care here at some of these clinics. I WILL NOT NAME THE CLINICS OR PATIENTS so don't ask. You will have to deduce, won't be hard. I will tell you that both of these clinics are very popular and well used by the foreign community. Neither of these happen to be Leon's or Cruz Roja.

#1 - Sometime Sat night a patient presented to clinic with jaw pain complaining he had just been stabbed in the jaw. This clinic looked it over and sewed the wound shut. Next morning this patient came to Cruz Roja complaining of increased jaw pain. Our doc took an xray and embedded in the jaw area was the distal 2 inches of a knife point as well as a jaw fracture. Pt was sent to Civil for surgery.

#2 - Wed evening a friend took an 80 year old friend of hers who had just had the second wasp sting in 5 days, and who had had a bad reaction to the first one 5 days ago, to this other clinic. Not only was she experiencing the effects of the sting but was having sharp left side chest pain. The patient was given an EKG by a 'doctor' and when she asked to have her blood pressure taken she was told that they only had one cuff and it didn't have a battery so it was not possible to have her BP taken. Pt left and a friend of hers, who is also a doc, stayed the night with her to make sure she was ok. Next day pt saw a cardiologist who determined the EKG taken was invalid due to lead placement. Pt returned to the clinic the next day to tell them she would NOT be paying their 750 peso fee.

My goal here is not to stir up a hornet's nest but to make sure everyone here knows that these clinics around here are less than good, especially at night and on weekends.

My advice, for what it's worth: If you have something serious, or potentially serious, get yourself to an ER in
Guad. If you have insurance use the ER that works for your insurance. If you have no insurance, or you have SP, go to the ER at Civil.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bad Medicine Empty Re: Bad Medicine

Post by viajero Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 am

We live in Guadalajara and are fairly close to the Hospital Militar,I've been told they're pretty good and accept civilian patients,do you know anything about them?
Thanks

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks for posting Trailrunner. Those are horrific experiences. Did clinic #2 not at least give the woman epinephrine? For anyone allergic to insect stings, or anything else for that matter, either get an epipen, from the states, they are not available here as far as I know.

http://www.epipen.com/

Or buy epinephrine from the farmacia and an insulin needle. Have your doctor, or an R.N. teach you how to use it!!! It could save your life in an emergency.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Viajero - No, I know nada about them.

E-raq - No, no epi. She was sent home and advised to take ibuprofen.

Excellent advice about making your own 'epi pen'. I miss having a handy epipen in my backpack, I'm allergic to bees.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Viajero - No, I know nada about them.

E-raq - No, no epi. She was sent home and advised to take ibuprofen.

Excellent advice about making your own 'epi pen'. I miss having a handy epipen in my backpack, I'm allergic to bees.

Well, sorry about that. The big guy had a bad reaction to wasp stings, 2, on Tuesday. I gave him antihistamines immediately, thereby avoiding anaphylactic shock, however he did have a delayed reaction which looked frighteningly similar to a stroke. SCARY. I called the pain doc for a vial of epinephrine. He says it's hard to get. Soooo, I'd be asking around at the clinics, hint hint. They do have it. My allergic reactions to date have only been to certain medications. Will post more as I get it.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:53 pm

If epinephine is a cousin of ephedrine, it may be one of the medications that was put on the "gone" list last year. Check with the doc. Sudafed, my favorite remedy for really stuffy sinuses, disappeared when they did the deed. Seems it's a major ingredient in meth.

Isn't that just ducky? Regular people who need certain medicines can't get them OTC or with great difficulty because some bastids misuse them.

Sorry to hear about your scare.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm

gringal wrote:If epinephine is a cousin of ephedrine, it may be one of the medications that was put on the "gone" list last year. Check with the doc. Sudafed, my favorite remedy for really stuffy sinuses, disappeared when they did the deed. Seems it's a major ingredient in meth.

Isn't that just ducky? Regular people who need certain medicines can't get them OTC or with great difficulty because some bastids misuse them.

Sorry to hear about your scare.

Good question, had to look it up. According to Yahoo it's a different chemical compound.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060808102853AApvUuG

You are right, ephedrine IS used in the manufacture of meth. BTW, check out the series Breaking Bad, seems this stuff can be synthesized.

Boom, it was one helluva scare, and you know the big guys, they know all. Not this time dude, buckle up and let's get y'all over to the doctor's office.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 pm

You've got to be careful using the major clinics at Lakeside.....from a cost and quality of care standpoint!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Jim W wrote:You've got to be careful using the major clinics at Lakeside.....from a cost and quality of care standpoint!

This is very true. Now Jim, having had a near death experience, the hospital did not have enough of my blood type prior to operating, however went ahead anyhow, since it was that serious. I have since rectified that with a personal Mexican Blood donor. I am A positive. My husband has the rarest of all blood types, O negative. Neither of us can be donors, due to age, and I have had dengue.

Big question for you, after another medical emergency this week, described above, does your blood bank have any O negative. We have no problem paying and would be happy donate if we could.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:34 pm

E-raq wrote:
Jim W wrote:You've got to be careful using the major clinics at Lakeside.....from a cost and quality of care standpoint!

This is very true. Now Jim, having had a near death experience, the hospital did not have enough of my blood type prior to operating, however went ahead anyhow, since it was that serious. I have since rectified that with a personal Mexican Blood donor. I am A positive. My husband has the rarest of all blood types, O negative. Neither of us can be donors, due to age, and I have had dengue.

Big question for you, after another medical emergency this week, described above, does your blood bank have any O negative. We have no problem paying and would be happy donate if we could.

How you doing Beautiful Lady? Still looking forward to a sit down lunch with you and yours Very Happy Sounds like a few issues? BIG issue.....O neg, I have a friend that will donate, and has ONEG. how many units do you need? I don't have the name or number of the only approved blood bank in GDL, but Cruz Rojo should be able to provide. Call me tomorrow, and we can find a solution. 765-3072.

Talk soon, Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Interesting little chart (at the bottom) for those interested. Shows a list of the different blood types and what type can be received.
Please keep in mind that there are many more antigens on a red blood cell than just A, B, O or RH...the blood, even if it's the same ABO and RH type as yours still has to be cross matched in advance of transfusion to avoid any transfusion reactions by those "other" antigens.
http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu/about_blood/blood_types.html

John...there are no CAPITAL GAINS taxes on your principal residence in Canada when you sell it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 pm

The following is a very telling statement from Ferret's link:

""The rarest blood type is the type that's not available when YOU need it!"

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 pm

@ Jim, we currently don't need it but had a couple of close calls recently. Will call tomorrow. Important stuff indeed.

@ferret, thanks so much. While I was in the hospital they did run some antigen tests. That's after they told me, we don't have enough. Anyhow, their probable plan was to substitute with plasma just in case. I'm going to ask my new donor, if we can test for antigens.

Man, so much to think about, and so little time in an emergency.

Stay healthy all.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 pm

The plasma would have worked fine in a pinch...keeps you from going into shock.
BTW, I'm A positive...if you're really desperate y'all are welcome to some of mine. Would that make us blood sisters? :)

You and your potential donor will just be giving up a tube of blood (red top)each. That's enough to do a cross match and screen for any potential problems before another crisis occurs. You don't need to know the actual antigens involved...not necessary and way too expensive.
Basically, a crossmatch tests the compatability of your red cells to your donor's serum (which is where the antibodies to those antigens that they don't have reside) and your donor's red cells to your serum (their red cells aren't going to help you if you have antibodies that will destroy their cells)
In other words, you don't want their serum destroying your red blood cells and you don't want your serum destroying their donated red blood cells.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 am

Just a reminder to all.....the sticky on this forum.....Blood Bank in GDL includes their telephone number. Cruz Rojo has one O Neg listed, and I know another.

Please all new Expats, contact Cruz Rojo, if you are a qualified donor. They will list your name, telephone number and blood type on their site. Thumbs up
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 pm

ferret wrote:The plasma would have worked fine in a pinch...keeps you from going into shock.
BTW, I'm A positive...if you're really desperate y'all are welcome to some of mine. Would that make us blood sisters? :)

You and your potential donor will just be giving up a tube of blood (red top)each. That's enough to do a cross match and screen for any potential problems before another crisis occurs. You don't need to know the actual antigens involved...not necessary and way too expensive.
Basically, a crossmatch tests the compatability of your red cells to your donor's serum (which is where the antibodies to those antigens that they don't have reside) and your donor's red cells to your serum (their red cells aren't going to help you if you have antibodies that will destroy their cells)
In other words, you don't want their serum destroying your red blood cells and you don't want your serum destroying their donated red blood cells.

It would indeed make us blood sisters. Many many thanks for your most generous offer. I'd reciprocate, but sadly had dengue last year. Rats! I'd love to donate.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Most of us are too old to donate. I tried to help a friend last year who lost a lot of blood - we are both A+ The hospital refused because I was 64 at the time even though their guidelines said 65 is the cut off age. What they enforce is age 60.

Type O is common in Mexico - not NOB. So it should not be difficult to find a donor among gardeners, house keepers. You may need to pay them. I know Jim W who worked tirelessly on getting the blood bank info even asked his gardener to donate on one occasion. In Guadalajara donors are often paid up to 500 pesos a pint to donate blood when needed so keep that in mind if you ask a Mexican to donate your blood type.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down