INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto Mechanic - Highly Recommended

+11
joec
sundown
Axixic
Jim W
simpsca
CheenaGringo
little italy
CanuckBob
David
E-raq
johninajijic
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Auto Mechanic - Highly Recommended - Page 2 Empty Re: Auto Mechanic - Highly Recommended

Post by David Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Probably best to call after 9 AM.

David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Auto Mechanic - Highly Recommended - Page 2 Empty Re: Auto Mechanic - Highly Recommended

Post by Jim W Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm

David wrote:Go see Oscar at Grupo Olmesa, the "Michelin Store" on the Libramiento. Tires, alignment, front-end work, and brakes are his business. He has good equipment, he knows what he's doing, and his prices are excellent. I've been doing business with him for 7 years. He doesn't speak much english but I've not found that to be a problema.

David, I assume you are speaking of the Michelin store previously located near TIO Sams? They do great work, and they will give you a ride home! Short story, scheduled front end alignment @ Car City, went to breakfast, returned, and they hadn't started, asked for my keys, as they resisted, demanded, and left! Noticed new Michelin store on Libramiento, stopped, very friendly, English an issue, got front end alignment done.....they gave me a ride home, picked me up! 250 pesos....vs car city @ 450 pesos!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Jim - good to know. Thanks.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 pm

johninajijic wrote:
simpsca wrote:John, Where is your guy exactly please? It sounds convenient for me in SJC. I use Francisco - son mostly but dad was there the last time. I watch them put the oil in and they use the 10W40 as I ask. But your guy is much closer so will give him a try.

Coming from SJC you'll see the Pemex/OXXO on your left, go really slow, a 4 door strip mall on the left has ILLUMINA + DECORA in it, and you'll see huge gates with cars parked in front. No sign. The small gate will be open. Call first after 9:00 PM. 766 4347. I think you'll find Pablo is cheaper. Speaks great English.

Ask him any questions. He'll explain it to you.

Thanks John, I know exactly where you mean. Good directions.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 pm

JimW - Thank you for the info. Maybe I'll get my car aligned after about 8 years of not being aligned.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:02 pm

I have been screwed by Escalara more than once, but the greatest screwing was by Tito Transmission in Riveras on an engine overhaul that came apart , and a transmission overhaul that lasted less than 4,000 miles
Both have good "bedside manners" before the fact

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 pm

sundown wrote:I have been screwed by Escalara more than once, but the greatest screwing was by Tito Transmission in Riveras on an engine overhaul that came apart , and a transmission overhaul that lasted less than 4,000 miles

I agree. I used Escalera the first time, good job high priced. Second time was for an oil change at 850 pesos. You only screw me once. That's 2 oil changes anywhere else. NEVER AGAIN.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

joec wrote:
sundown wrote:I have been screwed by Escalara more than once, but the greatest screwing was by Tito Transmission in Riveras on an engine overhaul that came apart , and a transmission overhaul that lasted less than 4,000 miles

I agree. I used Escalera the first time, good job high priced. Second time was for an oil change at 850 pesos. You only screw me once. That's 2 oil changes anywhere else. NEVER AGAIN.

Joe, in Mexico you have to ask the price before you have service done - if you ask the price when it's finished you have no room for negotiations. I have to say you screwed yourself on that one.

I personally have had excellent service from Pablo - but he can be very slow! Cars pile up in his shop and sometimes no employees show up. I have also had excellent service from Escalera, asking the price first.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Merry:

I think you may have been on sabbatical when Johninajijic was reincarnated as joec?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:49 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Merry:

I think you may have been on sabbatical when Johninajijic was reincarnated as joec?

Oh interesting, then apparently when he came back in his new life he has to re-learn about asking prices first.

M.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Only joec aka Johninajijic can answer that question. OH, wait a minute, you can throw northernguy into that same mix.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Only joec aka Johninajijic can answer that question. OH, wait a minute, you can throw northernguy into that same mix.

Cheena, I think you are getting your boards mixed up - northernguy is or was banned on TOB.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm

More than the Shadow knows that he appeared here too!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm

How many usernames can a user keep straight? How do they keep them from arguing with each other? Is it like having multiple personalities?

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm

merry wrote:

Joe, in Mexico you have to ask the price before you have service done - if you ask the price when it's finished you have no room for negotiations.
That's good advice.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

viajero wrote:
merry wrote:

Joe, in Mexico you have to ask the price before you have service done - if you ask the price when it's finished you have no room for negotiations.
That's good advice.

Thanks Viajero, it's just common sense here. I ask in advance for nearly any kind of vendor. They nearly always go out of their way to give a good price in advance. If you ask afterwards, you might as well just bend over!

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 am

merry wrote:
joec wrote:

Joe, in Mexico you have to ask the price before you have service done - if you ask the price when it's finished you have no room for negotiations. I have to say you screwed yourself on that one.

I personally have had excellent service from Pablo - but he can be very slow! Cars pile up in his shop and sometimes no employees show up. I have also had excellent service from Escalera, asking the price first.

Merry

I usually NEVER have work done without asking the price, except on an oil change which "most guys" won't screw you on like Escalera.

I will continue to do business with Pablo even though he is slow. He is a much more knowledgeable mechanic than Escalera and his prices are much cheaper. Pablo does NOT screw his customers.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 am

I have no idea what John is talking about with Escalera. We use Juan Carlos all the time, won't go to anyone else. He practically rebuilt my entire car. It took him well over a month and the price was very very right. I just got it back yesterday, it looks pretty damned good, even the formerly disgusting interior. Now of course the exterior still looks pretty bad, but hey, I like it like that.

We never ask him for a quote. Don't have to.

Maybe Juan Carlos didn't like somebody's attitude.

We also never ask for quotes from our Mexican construction crew. They know us, we know them, and they NEVER overcharge. In fact I think they undercharge.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:54 am

E-raq wrote:I have no idea what John is talking about with Escalera. We use Juan Carlos all the time, won't go to anyone else. He practically rebuilt my entire car. It took him well over a month and the price was very very right. I just got it back yesterday, it looks pretty damned good, even the formerly disgusting interior. Now of course the exterior still looks pretty bad, but hey, I like it like that.

We never ask him for a quote. Don't have to.

Maybe Juan Carlos didn't like somebody's attitude.

We also never ask for quotes from our Mexican construction crew. They know us, we know them, and they NEVER overcharge. In fact I think they undercharge.

It's OK for you to disagree with "merry's" post above about asking for quotes and prices ahead of time.

I did misstate something. I don't ask for quotes from my Mexican contractor ahead of time, I just ask what it will cost. I always use Raymundo Blas who is one of the best and fairest priced contractors in Ajijic. I also use Raymundo for the condo as I'm Facilities Manager here. Raymundo Blas is Enrique Pineda's nephew. Some of you will recognize Enrique's name as the best painter in Ajijic. I used to use Chino Chavarria, but he's waaaay too expensive for me.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:19 am

John, I don't disagree with Merry, however I've been around here a lot longer than you have and speak Spanish. It's very good advice for newbies, or people who do not speak Spanish.

As for contractors we use two small family crews from SJC. I don't need to ask the price because we trust them and they trust us. Ditto for Juan Carlos. BTW the prices are a helluva lot better out here than in Ajijic.

One contractor from Joco kind sorta ripped us one time. He never gets work here anymore. He's a good guy but can't manage his crew. Cost us a bloody fortune on a second house we had for a couple of miserable years.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 am

It looks like I have a leaking rear seal on my transmission. Where is Juan Carlos located in San Juan. I just moved to SJC in Sept. Does he work on this kind of project or is there someone locally who can?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiminmexico Tue May 06, 2014 9:19 am

Bob, I agree with you wholeheartedly. And, for my money, Pablo's the guy. He does have a hoist but no alignment equipment.
kiminmexico
kiminmexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2