INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used Car

+6
Flamingo
johninajijic
Big Daddy Mexico
CanuckBob
Jim W
SunsetKid
10 posters

Go down

Used Car Empty Used Car

Post by SunsetKid Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Where is a safe place to buy a good used vehicle in this area?
SunsetKid
SunsetKid
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Bill Maher/Chevy Chase/Life in general

Back to top Go down

Used Car Empty Re: Used Car

Post by Jim W Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm

You might check S & S Auto.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:31 pm

You could also try Mark Turford.

His cell number is 333-398-9045
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Safe and good don't usually exist with used vehicles. Especially in Mexico.

You have to do your due diligence or pay a lot of money.

We have purchased a few used vehicles and found that every vehicle needs to have a vehicle inspection done before you give them any money.

We have purchased our vehicles at the Tianguis in Guadalajara. We would find something we like, take a test drive with the guy selling it, then get him to bring it out to our mechanic, we used Car City. They are great, costs only $300 pesos and they give you a list of what needs to be done.

We did this 3 times till we found a used vehicle that was 10 years old, it had 83,000 km on it. Car City said it needed $6,000 pesos in work. Air conditioning, front brakes, a a couple of other small things.

We negotiated the price, looked at all the up to date papers and then did a search on line to see if there was any outstanding tickets. And then gave them their money. Only took 3 hours and we got a great vehicle. And then when Car City did the work, it actually came in less than their original estimate.

I do advise using Spencer the lawyer to double check the paper work.

Good Luck, it is actually a fun experience. There are hundreds of vehicles to look at each week.

Big Daddy
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Big Daddy - That's a helluva lot of work, don't you think. And vehicles are more expensive here. Wouldn't someone be better off by going to Texas and buying a vehicle there. The trip cost would be expensive bit you could bring back stuff you cannot get here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Do have Spencer look at the paperwork to be sure it is complete and that the taxes and fees are current BEFORE buying the car. No matter who you buy the car from, a little due diligence can save you a big headache.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:06 pm

johninajijic wrote:Big Daddy - That's a helluva lot of work, don't you think. And vehicles are more expensive here. Wouldn't someone be better off by going to Texas and buying a vehicle there. The trip cost would be expensive bit you could bring back stuff you cannot get here.

That's your opinion.

If you know what you are doing, vehicles can cost much less here, sometimes.

It is not a lot of work, actually we saved a lot of money and didn't have to go to the US. I am a Canadian living full time in Mexico. Why would I want to go to the US when I can support the Mexican economy.

Our family had a fun couple of days at the Tianguis looking for a vehicle.

We would definitely do it again. Our first vehicle we bought at a Tianguis in PV now has 180,000 miles on it and still running good.

Big Daddy
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 pm

johninajijic wrote:Big Daddy - That's a helluva lot of work, don't you think. And vehicles are more expensive here. Wouldn't someone be better off by going to Texas and buying a vehicle there. The trip cost would be expensive bit you could bring back stuff you cannot get here.

But then you can never sell the vehicle in Mexico and become a target for the transitos with the foreign plates (IMO)........especially if one regularily travels beyond the Guadalajara/Lakeside area. I have been pulled over twice with foreign plates and never with Mexican plates however I did get a photo radar ticket.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 am

CanuckBob wrote:

But then you can never sell the vehicle in Mexico and become a target for the transitos with the foreign plates (IMO)........especially if one regularily travels beyond the Guadalajara/Lakeside area. I have been pulled over twice with foreign plates and never with Mexican plates however I did get a photo radar ticket.

I've been here for 11 years and only pulled over twice for going thru a fake red light for mordida, once in GDL for going the wrong way on a one way street, my fault with US plates. Everyone says Mexican plates make a difference, but the mordida I paid in 11 years is less than half your extra insurance for one year. Mexican insurance is much more expensive on a MXN plated car.

You can go to the border to sell your car and transfer title.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 am

johninajijic wrote: Mexican insurance is much more expensive on a MXN plated car.

Is it, Johnny? Have you ever paid insurance on a MX plated vehicle? This has been discussed recently and as happens quite often, your opinion is wrong.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57 am

My insurance on my 2001 Montana with absolutely everything (collision, theft, fire, vandalism, legal, medical) was only $380usd/year with ANA. Can't be a whole lot cheaper than that.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:20 pm

2007 Micra Jalisco plated full coverage about $400US/year.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:19 pm

seisdedos wrote:
johninajijic wrote: Mexican insurance is much more expensive on a MXN plated car.

Is it, Johnny? Have you ever paid insurance on a MX plated vehicle? This has been discussed recently and as happens quite often, your opinion is wrong.

His opinion may be OK, but his FACTS are almost always wrong.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:15 pm

David wrote:
seisdedos wrote:

His opinion may be OK, but his FACTS are almost always wrong.

So now you're telling me I'm wrong and that the insurance agents here don't know what they're talking about when they tell me it costs MORE to insure a Mexican Plated car?

David, I guess now you're a new insurance agent. I've heard this from more than one reliable agent.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm

What you didn't hear is the coverage on a Mexican plated car is far better than the "Tourist Policy" that is written on a NOB car. Understanble since we know your're not a listener but rather a "transmit only." I have both an Mexican plated and an NOB car. How about you?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:31 pm

David wrote:What you didn't hear is the coverage on a Mexican plated car is far better than the "Tourist Policy" that is written on a NOB car. Understanble since we know your're not a listener but rather a "transmit only." I have both an Mexican plated and an NOB car. How about you?

Tell me how it's better. I have fire, theft, collision.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Really difficult to do an "apples-to-apples" comparison of Mexican plated vs. NOB plated vehicle coverage.

I just priced new insurance policies for both our Jalisco plated car and our NOB plated truck I am bringing in for an upcoming trip. There is a wide range of prices and coverage available which can significantly affect the price you pay. The tourist policies are calculated based on the duration of the policy, the value you want your vehicle covered at and the deductible package. A policy that has deductibles as a percentage of value are typically less than a policy with fixed deductables. They also can include a lot of different extras that would not be applicable for a Mexican plated car such as flying you home (to US or Canada) if your vehicle is destroyed or stolen, etc.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum