INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta

+10
Ms.Thang
gringal
seisdedos
E-raq
hockables
Zedinmexico
sparks
johninajijic
CanuckBob
SunFan
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta Empty The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta

Post by SunFan Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am

Meeting friends in Nuevo Vallarta in a couple of weeks.

Any advice about the drive from Lakeside?

How long? Road conditions? Sites of interest along the way? Tolls? Other sage advice?

Thanks

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta Empty Re: The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 am

Easy drive that takes about 5 1/2 hours. You can take the toll roads most of the way. The last part (MX 200) is slow going. You could stop at Tequila or Magdalena on the way.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am

BTW.....you take the MEX15D to MEX68D to MEX200.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 am

The toll road is excellent. You can drive 75 mph with ease and you'll have people passing at 90 + mph. The part Bob is talking about from Compostela on to Nuevo Vallarta. It is a two lane road thru the jungle, one lane each way, just drive carefully.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 am

No tolls on highway 70 and it comes out just south of Nuevo. Typical 2 lane in Mexico but not as much traffic as highway 80. Talpa, Mascota and San Sebastian along the way

The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta DSC00006

http://sparks-mexico.com/Assorted/jalisco/Mascota/index.html
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54 am

sparks - And what about the curvy mountain roads the rest of the way from Mascota and time for entire journey?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 am

Lots of curves for sure but safer in my opinion than the Compostela to Nuevo section. Might take a little longer ... but there are places you will want to stop
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am

CanuckBob wrote:Easy drive that takes about 5 1/2 hours. You can take the toll roads most of the way. The last part (MX 200) is slow going. You could stop at Tequila or Magdalena on the way.

And don't panic if you have a humongous Scania or Volvo bus on your butt for much of MX 200.
Let them pass but the first time it is a little intimidating. They haul on the curves. Don't drive
MX200 at night also was the advice given me multiple times from multiple sources. Not a bad
road if you are use to curvy mountain roads. If you are not it is very doable but you won't like
it much but you will get there. Just pay attention and get out of the way of the locals and buses.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Easy drive that takes about 5 1/2 hours. You can take the toll roads most of the way. The last part (MX 200) is slow going. You could stop at Tequila or Magdalena on the way.

And don't panic if you have a humongous Scania or Volvo bus on your butt for much of MX 200.
Let them pass but the first time it is a little intimidating. They haul on the curves. Don't drive
MX200 at night also was the advice given me multiple times from multiple sources. Not a bad
road if you are use to curvy mountain roads. If you are not it is very doable but you won't like
it much but you will get there. Just pay attention and get out of the way of the locals and buses.

Z

From Guad to Mx200 Exit.... it's like Nascar on the Toll Road... little bump, a little nudge, being passed at 100mph...
once yer off The Toll Road thru The Coastal Mountains... it's more like Le Mans... running up to 100mph and slowing down to 5mph for the Hair Pin Turns... The Buses make for a friendly distraction!!

Zed... Never been passed by a Bus in my Life....

Good Luck.... and Have Fun!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm

sparks wrote:No tolls on highway 70 and it comes out just south of Nuevo. Typical 2 lane in Mexico but not as much traffic as highway 80. Talpa, Mascota and San Sebastian along the way

The Drive to Nuevo Vallarta DSC00006

http://sparks-mexico.com/Assorted/jalisco/Mascota/index.html

I have driven this route too. It is actually shorter KM's but takes the exact same time because it is much slower going. This route is beautiful and scenic but not for those that just want to "peddle to the metal" all the way. You have to pay far more attention.......

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Good grief, my opinion FWIW take an executive bus. It's not worth all the Xanax and Pepto Bismol you'll need to take after the drive. Another possible alternative, is to fly.
Number one son is visiting us in November then having a guy's only vacation in Mazatlán at a friend's condo. The flight from here to there 229 CAD.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm

E-raq wrote:Good grief, my opinion FWIW take an executive bus. It's not worth all the Xanax and Pepto Bismol you'll need to take after the drive. Another possible alternative, is to fly.
Number one son is visiting us in November then having a guy's only vacation in Mazatlán at a friend's condo. The flight from here to there 229 CAD.

We took executive buses for 8 years with travel agencies and finally we're going on our own, thank God. Fed up with buses. I drove there 10 years ago without a problem. Xanax and Pepto Bismol?? For what.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:43 pm

johninajijic wrote: I drove there 10 years ago without a problem. Xanax and Pepto Bismol?? For what.

For those who don't possess your nerves of steel.

P.S. You WILL be attending the swarm, won't you?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Hmmmmm, something smells fishy here.

quote JIA:

We took executive buses for 8 years with travel agencies and finally we're going on our own, thank God. Fed up with buses. I drove there 10 years ago without a problem. Xanax and Pepto Bismol?? For what.

johninajijic
Local Celebrity

Finally going on our own, and I drove there 10 years ago, do not compute.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:52 pm

E-raq wrote:Hmmmmm, something smells fishy here.

quote JIA:

johninajijic
Local Celebrity

"Compute"??? Next thing, you'll want logic. Never satisfied.

After one car trip to Sayulita, we learned to appreciate a good Mexican bus. Sit back, read a book, sleep and arrive, ready for a good time.
However, that 5 l/2 hours to PV doesn't make a lot of sense when you can make it to a closer beach in much less time, on a bus or on your own. On your own is easier now, too, with the new toll roads.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:06 pm

gringal - What closer beach?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

gringal wrote:
E-raq wrote:Hmmmmm, something smells fishy here.

quote JIA:

johninajijic
Local Celebrity

"Compute"??? Next thing, you'll want logic. Never satisfied.

After one car trip to Sayulita, we learned to appreciate a good Mexican bus. Sit back, read a book, sleep and arrive, ready for a good time.
However, that 5 l/2 hours to PV doesn't make a lot of sense when you can make it to a closer beach in much less time, on a bus or on your own. On your own is easier now, too, with the new toll roads.

Bingo. Barra de Navidad, Manzanillo, Cuyatlan, and more, great roads and 3.5 hours on a good day.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Besides that, there are some interesting stops you can make along the way, should you be so inclined. There used to be the endless backup near the bridge, but I hear that's finished now, so it should be less than 4 hours, going like a bat out of hades.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Ah, Cuyatlan...the ugliest beach I have ever seen in my entire life. Black, superfine sand , trash everywhere and just a whole lot of ugly in general.
If you google Cuyitlan you will undoubtably see something about the famous "green wave". If you ask a local about the "ola Verde" they will have no idea what you are talking about.
But if you want a real Mexican experience, go for it. And if you forget your swimsuit, no problemo...when we were there everyone was aswimin in their underwear.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Amazing to me how much one certain person has to say about this drive without having made the drive himself in 10 years. But there is hope on the horizon since he will be a current expert after this year's drive.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm

gringal wrote:Besides that, there are some interesting stops you can make along the way, should you be so inclined. There used to be the endless backup near the bridge, but I hear that's finished now, so it should be less than 4 hours, going like a bat out of hades.

Sadly due to the heat and a couple of other issues, our plans to travel up from Manzanillo to Barra, Melaque etc, were thwarted, however, I did manage to stop off at one of the little fruit stands and pick up three humongous bags of Flor de Sal, the ultimate in salt, at 90 pesos a bag. A serious bargoon in anyone's lingo. Check out fleur de sel, same thing, in any gourmet shop.

Also apparently Ciudad Guzman has a really interesting plaza, that's about all, but nice for a quick stop. Apparently the volcanic action destroyed many cathedrals, so they just kept on building more. I'd love to see it.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:40 pm

E-raq wrote:
Bingo. Barra de Navidad, Manzanillo, Cuyatlan, and more, great roads and 3.5 hours on a good day.

Ms Thang wrote:Ah, Cuyatlan...the ugliest beach I have ever seen in my entire life. Black, superfine sand , trash everywhere and just a whole lot of ugly in general.
If you google Cuyitlan you will undoubtably see something about the famous "green wave". If you ask a local about the "ola Verde" they will have no idea what you are talking about.
But if you want a real Mexican experience, go for it. And if you forget your swimsuit, no problemo...when we were there everyone was aswimin in their underwear.

Cuyutlán, ladies.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:Ah, Cuyatlan...the ugliest beach I have ever seen in my entire life. Black, superfine sand , trash everywhere and just a whole lot of ugly in general.

That Cayutlan beach has black rocks so hot most of the time that it's good practice for "firewalkers".
Doesn't look like a good place for swimmin' with or without suit, either. But: those are awesome waves, and I love the sight and sound. Just hoping we don't have a tsunami, redux, while we're there. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:47 pm

seisdedos wrote:
E-raq wrote:

Ms Thang wrote:Ah, Cuyatlan...the ugliest beach I have ever seen in my entire life. Black, superfine sand , trash everywhere and just a whole lot of ugly in general.

Cuyutlán, ladies.

Yeah dude we know, just being lazy today, and haven't got on those high test cheaters. The 3.75 ones.

Here ya go, Cuyatlán. Happy now?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 pm

E-raq wrote:
seisdedos wrote:
E-raq wrote:

Cuyutlán, ladies.

Yeah dude we know, just being lazy today, and haven't got on those high test cheaters. The 3.75 ones.

Here ya go, Cuyatlán. Happy now?

Yeah, right. Blame it on your goggles.

I'm always happy, sweet cheeks.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down