INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POTS AND PANS

+10
viajero
Chapalagringa
joec
seisdedos
CheenaGringo
E-raq
sundown
Rosa Venus
ComputerGuy
gringal
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

POTS AND PANS Empty POTS AND PANS

Post by gringal Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Never mind the backstory (which actually was out of old time comedy), but our teflon lined "making oatmeal" pot has been burned out, so off we went looking at Walmart for a replacement. The only one that filled the bill was a 4 cup pot for which they want $280 pesos!!
Is it just me, or is that exorbitant? We didn't buy it.
Any suggestions about where to buy a quality cooking pot......not a whole set........in Lakeside?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

POTS AND PANS Empty Re: POTS AND PANS

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I had to bring pots down from Canada, where at WalMart they are, as you know, pretty inexpensive. These are stainless with copper-clad bottoms covered in (I think) aluminum.

For years nothing was available here except in sets, and poorly designed sets at that. Then WalMart started carrying a Teflon-type brand in several sizes, which work for most things, but cannot be counted on if you "make a mistake". Trouble with WalMart, as usual, you never know what kind of inventory they will have at any given time.

Currently in Guadalajara, Mega is selling a pretty good brand name "with points" kind of thing, but I do not remember the variety of sizes. I know that Sears and Liverpool have really, really expensive sets and rarely stand-alones.

But one more potential place is Gabriela at the so-called "discount" Farmacia Expres. She sells an odd selection of very good quality utensils and some pots and pans.

With the Fiestas on, there are a few people that carry an incredible amount of stuff, two of them right on the careterra in Ajijic. Last year, I needed a glass lid for one of my pots, and ended up buying a Teflon "wok" from one of them, just to get the lid. I paid 240 pesos and was happy to get the damn lid.

There's that store in Chapala on the main drag just up from the plaza; sometimes he has individual items like that. And finally, near the "customer service" (term used loosely) desk in WalMart, I think there still is a display of some company's high-end pots and pans. But they look pricey.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Believe it or not.......

I have been looking for a good quality stock pot for a while. Haven't been willing to drive to Guadalajara (yet), just looking locally. Lots of cheap, lightweight junk available. No thanks. Today I took a stroll through the itinerant vendors that are set up during the always remarkable San Andres Fiesta. On Marcos Castellanos, just south of the carretera on the west side of the street, there is a guy with a lot of kitchen stuff. He has all the junk too, but he also had a set of pots stacked up, in the back, toward the left. They looked a bit more serious. Had black handles, if I recall. All sizes. I asked to look at one. It was NICE. He said, "Commercial grade". And I said, "yep". Wasn't cheap at 850 pesos, but that was a 15 liter pot. And that may have been his "opening price". Wasn't willing to buy it or negotiate today, but I may go back. Don't know if he has non-stick stuff or not. Worth a shot anyway. Good luck.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 pm

In Guadalajara on Ave La Paz (a few blocks off Calzada Independicia) is a
many stores that supply restaurants.

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks, all. Where is the discount Farmacia Express, por favor?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Farmacia Express is in San Antonio/Riberas, on the carretera, southside, in between the OXXO and Hole in One. (Closer to OXXO, part of that strip, I think?)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:47 pm

At the Monday tianguis in Chapala is a guy who sells lots of big pots, if anyone is looking for those. I bought a fantastic aluminum pot, absolutely huge, for spaghetti sauces and soups, for maybe 750 pesos two years ago. Really good quality. But I also find for stocks and liquids, the typical Mexican porcelain coated blue/speckled pots are great (the kind of stuff our camping tins and mugs were made of in the "olden days").
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:Farmacia Express is in San Antonio/Riberas, on the carretera, southside, in between the OXXO and Hole in One. (Closer to OXXO, part of that strip, I think?)

Thanks. We'll try that before resorting to a trip to Guadalajara.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm

HelperGuy wrote:At the Monday tianguis in Chapala is a guy who sells lots of big pots, if anyone is looking for those. I bought a fantastic aluminum pot, absolutely huge, for spaghetti sauces and soups, for maybe 750 pesos two years ago. Really good quality. But I also find for stocks and liquids, the typical Mexican porcelain coated blue/speckled pots are great (the kind of stuff our camping tins and mugs were made of in the "olden days").

Those speckled ones are just great for making candles as well. Just sayin'.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

So, what, you drill a hole in the bottom, put a string in the hole, fill with hot wax and when it cools turn the pot over to light up?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Helper Guy:

You chose the right profession! Good thing you didn't decide to become a candlemaker.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:34 pm

HelperGuy wrote:So, what, you drill a hole in the bottom, put a string in the hole, fill with hot wax and when it cools turn the pot over to light up?

Did I ever tell you how cheap I was? I hate wasting perfectly good candles.

I melt old candles in the speckled blue pot, sometimes the color combos are unusual.

The using my handy dandy wick spool, I wind a bit around a bamboo skewer. Attach a wick holder, metal to the bottom and drop it into a metal candle mold sprayed with pam.

I then pour the melted candle remnants into the mold, sit around and watch it solidify. Very good meditating activity. Then presto in a matter of mere hours out comes a brand new baby candle.

Sometimes they are quite large. Beer

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 pm

The porcelain coated steel pots and pans are known as acero vitrificado or perhaps more commonly as peltre and would work fine for oatmeal.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks, all who have responded. We're still using the burned pot, and the oatmeal tasted fine...........so maybe we'll just put the whole thing off till the next trip to the Big City.
Maybe I'm cheap, but paying over $800 pesos for a little one quart pot seems like madness. #$% Walmart, anyway.

My spouse is picky picky about his oaties; has to have a pot that holds the heat after he turns off the burner according to his "special" method.........and who am I to blow against the wind? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 am

gringal wrote:Thanks, all who have responded. We're still using the burned pot, and the oatmeal tasted fine...........so maybe we'll just put the whole thing off till the next trip to the Big City.
Maybe I'm cheap, but paying over $800 pesos for a little one quart pot seems like madness. #$% Walmart, anyway.

My spouse is picky picky about his oaties; has to have a pot that holds the heat after he turns off the burner according to his "special" method.........and who am I to blow against the wind? Rolling Eyes

It IS madness. It would be cheaper at Liverpool. I don't bother chasing around or going to Wally World for their crappy pans, I look once in Costco, then go to Liverpool for QUALITY and the widest selection.

I bought a huge 13 inch quality T FAL hard coated teflon pan in Liverpool for 420 pesos several years ago. It was priced no higher than Wally World.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 am

I'd agree with John here. Alternatively Seis suggested those speckled porcelain ones. I do think they'd work really well and cost a fraction of a trip to Guadalajara.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Costco has a 5 qt casserole pot for $680 pesos, i think it was. A certain someone is getting one for their birthday. Stainless steel bottom that won't warp. There's a thin layer of copper somewhere in the middle, not enough for polishing, i don't think, but keeps the heat in. Great for making broths or frying...multi-purpose. I haven't had very good luck finding individual stainless steel pots apart from a set. I like the thick bottoms and not a fan of teflon. I choose cast iron for non stick.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:17 pm

El Palacio de Hierro, Liverpool or Fabricas de Francias are the places to look. What i really like about Fabricas and Liverpool is they're the same store, often give up to 20% back in electronic $$. Make a purchase at full price but put that 20% back on another item the same visit...it's great!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:23 pm

I saw a meat thermometer at Liverpool the other day for 380 pesos,price NoB 5 bucks.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:21 pm

viajero wrote:I saw a meat thermometer at Liverpool the other day for 380 pesos,price NoB 5 bucks.

Probably wouldn't be much price difference in SL, but at least Liverpool carries quality.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Have a question, what type of pan did your parents use when they cooked your Oatmeal? can't remember what my Mother used to cook my four brothers and myself Oatmeal, but was good nevertheless.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:53 pm

It hardly matters, Little Italy. Any old pan will work, and my dear departed mom was such a bad cook that I remember the oatmeal as kind of watery and hard to choke down. Even with butter in the middle and brown sugar.

A Scottish friend told my husband the magic method and even though I'm no fan of oatmeal, it's pretty good that way, especially with dried blueberries or cranberries. Gotta use the slow cooking oats; not the instant kind.
Betsy's way: same amount of water as oatmeal; add salt and toss in blueberries; bring to full rolling boil; add oats; bring back to boil, put the lid on and shut off the heat. Wait 20 minutes.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

You are so right about "any old pan will work" as with any cooking. It's the cook not the pan.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:08 pm

gringal wrote:It hardly matters, Little Italy. Any old pan will work, and my dear departed mom was such a bad cook that I remember the oatmeal as kind of watery and hard to choke down. Even with butter in the middle and brown sugar.

A Scottish friend told my husband the magic method and even though I'm no fan of oatmeal, it's pretty good that way, especially with dried blueberries or cranberries. Gotta use the slow cooking oats; not the instant kind.
Betsy's way: same amount of water as oatmeal; add salt and toss in blueberries; bring to full rolling boil; add oats; bring back to boil, put the lid on and shut off the heat. Wait 20 minutes.

Ohhh yes butter and brown sugar. There is no other way.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am

I am with John on this one. I love T Fal/Tefal. I started buying it when we lived in Singapore and have used it around the world. It doesn't look special, but the French know how to make pots and pans.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next