INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Technical Cell Phone question

+2
David
joyfull
6 posters

Go down

Technical Cell Phone question Empty Technical Cell Phone question

Post by joyfull Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I would like to get a smart phone that is unlocked so I can use it both in the U.S. and here in Mexico by changing the sim card. My question is this.... Is it possible to get a phone where I can use it like my iPad and have internet where there is WiFi. I don't want to pay for a data plan. So many places have free WiFi now.

Any suggestions as to what a good phone would be? Am hoping to find a phone on Amazon, Craigslist, eBay, etc. going to the States lat this month.

I am so not techy smash comp
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Technical Cell Phone question Empty Re: Technical Cell Phone question

Post by David Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:47 pm

All possible, get any of them they're all good.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 am

David is right hard to buy bad hardware these days. Look at the features and
decide what is imortant to you. Longer battery life important? look for that.
Fits in front pocket look for that.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 am

I would get an Iphone. You can connect to any wifi and surf the net however when you purchase minutes here it includes free data time.

If you get an older Iphone (3GS or older) I can unlock it for you. A lot of people toss these older phones when they get an upgrade so ask around. I scrounged up 4 of them before I left Vancouver.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 am

CanuckBob wrote:I would get an Iphone. You can connect to any wifi and surf the net however when you purchase minutes here it includes free data time.

If you get an older Iphone (3GS or older) I can unlock it for you. A lot of people toss these older phones when they get an upgrade so ask around. I scrounged up 4 of them before I left Vancouver.

Hi Bob...do you have an extra one to sell? If not I will look for one when in Seattle later this month. Appreciate the offer to unlock it and may take you up on it.

Joni
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:44 am

Ditto on the iPhones. Apple.com offers older refurbished models of their devices fairly cheap, and they're still great. I've always bought refurbished Apple products and never had a problem. Also Google "used iPhones" - there are companies that offer to buy used devices and resell (I have no experience with these.Forr traveling in the states, you can also buy a temporary short-term contract with AT&T for use in the north - sort of "roaming lite". Check out Telcel's website on this.

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:27 pm

joyfull wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:I would get an Iphone. You can connect to any wifi and surf the net however when you purchase minutes here it includes free data time.

Hi Bob...do you have an extra one to sell? If not I will look for one when in Seattle later this month. Appreciate the offer to unlock it and may take you up on it.

Joni

No, sorry I don't. I already gave one to a friend, one to mi esposa, one to me and one to keep as back-up......

When you are NOB just start asking all your friends kids. They always have old ones kicking around......jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
joyfull wrote:

Joni

No, sorry I don't. I already gave one to a friend, one to mi esposa, one to me and one to keep as back-up......

When you are NOB just start asking all your friends kids. They always have old ones kicking around......jajaja.
good idea Bob. Just asked my 23 yr old daughter in Seattle. She is due for an upgrade next month so I will get her current iPhone 4. Of course I now have to pay $200 for her upgrade Very Happy

Last edited by joyfull on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 pm

My geekie / nonprofessional opinion: Verizon Motorola Razr/ Razr Max (just say no to apple (yesterday)). I don’t know if links are allowed but do a Google search for “verizon razr CDMA GMS” and look at verizon’s site. The phone will allow you to do global roaming on verizon or get a local SIM card.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

joyfull wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:
joyfull wrote:

Joni

good idea Bob. Just asked my 23 yr old daughter in Seattle. She is due for an upgrade next month so I will get her current iPhone 4. Of course I now have to pay $200 for her upgrade Very Happy

Be careful, the Iphone 4's are not "unlockable" at this point. That is why in my post above I said an Iphone 3G or older. You may be able to get your daughter to call her service provider and get them to "unlock it" as long as she is the original owner of it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Will certainly be checking on that Bob
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:53 am

Or you take the 4 and find someone there with a 3G on the same network as your daughter and trade them. That would be an upgrade for them and you would have an unlockable phone.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 am

CanuckBob wrote:Or you take the 4 and find someone there with a 3G on the same network as your daughter and trade them. That would be an upgrade for them and you would have an unlockable phone.
AT&T told her they would unlock her iPhone4 when when she upgrades next month. As I am learning more about it my concern is whether it will work here with. TelCel sim card
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 am

If it is unlocked it will work no problem. You just drop the TelCel sim card in, load it up with minutes and you are good to go. The sim card costs about $150 pesos ($12.00). Nice score on that IPhone 4!!! I had one given to me when I was in Vancouver a few months ago however the provider wouldn't unlock it as the guy that gave it to me wasn't the original owner. I just use it as an IPod until a hacker unlock becomes available.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down