INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corn Bread

+10
viajero
joec
brigitte
Zedinmexico
sundown
CheenaGringo
Rolly
Ms.Thang
E-raq
hound dog
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Corn Bread Empty Corn Bread

Post by hound dog Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Dawg is posting this as that lame rye bread thread has been on there so long, Moses hisseeff must have posted it. Nobody on Planet Earth eats rye bread except Jewish refugees from Queens whereas we protestant Christian trailer park denizens from Muskogee consume copious amounts of corn bread between excursions into Hooterville to seek out outlets for fatback and collards.

Here is the best possible recipe for cornbread dressing to make your Christmas feast enjoyable, especially after having consumed at least a liter of estra dry sherry as Grandma used to do back in the 60s. Grandma used to pass out in the dressing about half through the meal and steal any that was left over. An admirable old lady who would have fit in perfectly at Lakeside.

SOUTH ALABAMA VIA AJAIJC CORNBREAD DRESSING FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER TO ACCOMPANY TURKEY OR POSSUM
One package of Marie Callendar´s yellow cornmeal mix baked according to instructions
Fry up chopped onions, celery and chicken livers in lots of butter
Defrost some of that deliicious chicken broth from your freezer or use a commercial product
Throw in some stale white bread or, even better, stale sweet bread to the mix
Throw the cornbread, stale sweet white bread, a can or so of chopped mushrooms wth the juice, the chicken broth and the butter sauteed oninos, celery and chicken livers and make a mush which then must be baked to the consistency of a turkey dressing.

Consume more sherry and even whisky or Havana Club Rum Añejo or Herradura Blanco Tequila while this stuff cooks in your oven.

Don´t forget to roast the turkey or possum.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Corn Bread Empty Re: Corn Bread

Post by E-raq Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks Dawg, to both of you, have a happy Mayan celebration down there in San Cristobal and environs. We'll be holding the fort here. Essentially spitting in the eye of those who stated the end of the world was coming. Hahaha.

Cheers,
raq
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:55 pm

I am doubting the authenticity of this recipe, everyone knows that cornbread (and certainly dressing) is never sweet...are you trying to trick us, Dawg?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Sweet cornbread is common where I grew up in Texas.
And I love rye bread.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:55 pm

We find Marie Callendar's to be somewhat on the sweet side.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Johnnycake with maple syrup is exceptionally popular especially in Algonquin park.

Lotsa butter, salted too.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Ah, yes...but there is no sugar in a johnnycake...what ever you put on it is quite another thing.
Secretly, I like sweet cornbread, but that don't make it proper.
I wonder how Mexican customs feels about corn meal? They don't mind if you are driving but I am not sure about flying. I would hate to give up a good 5 pounds in my return flight luggage for something that is going to get taken away from me.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Raised on Cornbread & do not recognize these recipes
Don't forget the big iron skillet

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Just for the record, Dawg´s cornbread dressing is not really meant to reflect my South Alabama heritage where serving sweet corn bread dressing would be unthinkable. They not only make lousy , dry, unsweetened corn bread down there but also (gasp!) coat seafood with corn meal, fry it and serve it with hush puppies or greasy corn meal balls. I lived in California most of my life and married a French woman so no more corn pone, grits and fried okra for this boy.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:36 am

E-raq wrote:Johnnycake with maple syrup is exceptionally popular especially in Algonquin park.

Lotsa butter, salted too.

New England Johnnycake is sweeted with black molases
but it is very different than Johnnycake everywhere else but it
is sweet. I think many different recipes for Johnnycake and corn
bread depending on where you are.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 am

and his sweet wife will not eat turkey dressing which in my opinion is a big waste of time. Just stuff the thing with chestnuts and forget it. Actually I do not care for turkey either so we usually do not have it for Christmas and the Dawg has to make his own.... Very Happy

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 am

brigitte wrote:and his sweet wife will not eat turkey dressing which in my opinion is a big waste of time. Just stuff the thing with chestnuts and forget it. Actually I do not care for turkey either so we usually do not have it for Christmas and the Dawg has to make his own.... Very Happy

I'm not fond of turkey either, however a nice buttery bread stuffing is good, and almost worth eating turkey just to get that and the gravy.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 am

hound dog wrote:Dawg is posting this as that lame rye bread thread has been on there so long, Moses hisseeff must have posted it. Nobody on Planet Earth eats rye bread except Jewish refugees from Queens whereas we protestant Christian trailer park denizens from Muskogee consume copious amounts of corn bread between excursions into Hooterville to seek out outlets for fatback and collards.

Here is the best possible recipe for cornbread dressing to make your Christmas feast enjoyable, especially after having consumed at least a liter of estra dry sherry as Grandma used to do back in the 60s. Grandma used to pass out in the dressing about half through the meal and steal any that was left over. An admirable old lady who would have fit in perfectly at Lakeside.

SOUTH ALABAMA VIA AJAIJC CORNBREAD DRESSING FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER TO ACCOMPANY TURKEY OR POSSUM
One package of Marie Callendar´s yellow cornmeal mix baked according to instructions
Fry up chopped onions, celery and chicken livers in lots of butter
Defrost some of that deliicious chicken broth from your freezer or use a commercial product
Throw in some stale white bread or, even better, stale sweet bread to the mix
Throw the cornbread, stale sweet white bread, a can or so of chopped mushrooms wth the juice, the chicken broth and the butter sauteed oninos, celery and chicken livers and make a mush which then must be baked to the consistency of a turkey dressing.

Consume more sherry and even whisky or Havana Club Rum Añejo or Herradura Blanco Tequila while this stuff cooks in your oven.

Don´t forget to roast the turkey or possum.

Yuk!!! Yuk!!! Yuk!!!

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 pm

hound dog wrote:Just for the record, Dawg´s cornbread dressing is not really meant to reflect my South Alabama heritage where serving sweet corn bread dressing would be unthinkable. They not only make lousy , dry, unsweetened corn bread down there but also (gasp!) coat seafood with corn meal, fry it and serve it with hush puppies or greasy corn meal balls. I lived in California most of my life and married a French woman so no more corn pone, grits and fried okra for this boy.

It appears that California and fancy French women have corrupted the Dawg.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

It appears that California and fancy French women have corrupted the Dawg.[/quote]

Without question, Ms. Thang, except for that fancy part. As she wrote earlier, she won´t touch my cornbread dressing but, bear in mind, French people think corn and ground corn are for feeding hogs and goats and unfit for human consumption - sweetened or unsweetened. Corn bread is an unknown concept. What the hell do they know.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:00 pm

hound dog wrote: French people think corn and ground corn are for feeding hogs and goats and unfit for human consumption - sweetened or unsweetened.
But they love their snails,go figure.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 pm

snails are cheap you find them by the side of the road after a good rain and we have plenty of those.Just cover the taste with lots of butter, garlic and parsley and you can eat just about anything. Think of it maybe that is what I should plaster on the corn bread....

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:33 pm

hound dog wrote:It appears that California and fancy French women have corrupted the Dawg.

Without question, Ms. Thang, except for that fancy part. As she wrote earlier, she won´t touch my cornbread dressing but, bear in mind, French people think corn and ground corn are for feeding hogs and goats and unfit for human consumption - sweetened or unsweetened. Corn bread is an unknown concept. What the hell do they know. [/quote]

The Brits are the same. The big guy cannot be enticed into eating anything made of corn.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 pm

But the Brits will eat winkles...with salt, pepper and malt vinegar. Had them on Blackpool pier and found them quite tasty.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Oh lordy I am almost afraid to ask what a winkle is...but what is it?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 pm

It's a small sea snail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_periwinkle
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:35 am

Let's segue to oysters. It's oyster time - colder water equals great oysters. Made oyster stuffing last year. YUM, YUM, YUM. Just query Mr/Ms Google. Making it again, just add gravy and forget about the bird, if you so desire. Gravy is both a beverage and a major food group. Swanson's Organic chicken broth works a charm. Oyster stuffing made with corn bread could prove interesting.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 am

raw oysters are even better and no need for a stove...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:29 am

hound dog wrote:

......... French people think corn and ground corn are for feeding hogs and goats and unfit for human consumption - sweetened or unsweetened. Corn bread is an unknown concept. What the hell do they know.

Exactly. What the hell do they know if they feed corn to goats? Unless they want dead goats.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:34 am

well that was ny husband interprtation we feed corn and overipe bananas to cattle . No idea what they feed the pigs either, just know about the cattle.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next