INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic

+7
Zedinmexico
ferret
little italy
joec
David
ComputerGuy
hound dog
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic Empty New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Now, I really like the croissants and also the sweet cornbread at Super Lake. While the croissants at WalMart are good for Mexico, the croissants at Super Lake are excellent and even on a par witth croissants one might purchase in Paris.

Dawg just arrived at home from the newly opened Pasteleria French Bistrot in West Ajijic in that same strip mall where one can find the excellent Tabarka seafood restaurant which has always been good since opening a couple of years ago but is now outstanding. The Pasteleria French Bistrot is owned by one, Monsieur Patrice Bonnafous (a great and charming name if I must say so) and, I believe, run by Monsieur Bannafous and members of his family or friends. A most amiable group of folks. Dawg came home with a napolean, almond and chocolate tarts and a coffee eclaire. Dawg also picked up a bottle of Herradura Blanco down the road to compliment the meal. Breakfast of champions.

This pasteleria will also be preparing and serving both sweet and savory crepes but I have yet to try those. I am a crepe freak so Tubs will be back to try the crepes in short order. As we used to say in Alabama, "Yáll get on down there y´hear."

This town has changed immensely over the past 12 years I´ve been here. I no longer have to fly to Paris for crepes or croissants. Thank you, jesus.

A great addition to the local culinary scene. Finally a French pasteleria and not another two bit Italian joint. Praise the Lord.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic Empty Re: New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Y'all forgot to tell us if'n they was any good, or even as good as SL's.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic Empty Re: New French Pasteleria in West Ajijic

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Y'all forgot to tell us if'n they was any good, or even as good as SL's.

The tequila was great. Better than anything SL has to sell although next door Paz Liquors could deliver equally good spirits. The coffee eclaire was OK. Not sublime as in France. I´ll report back on the other goodies I bought there when I have consumed same. Despite my large self, it takes me time to convert these things from pastries into energy and waste products. They look mighty fine but so do cheese grits until you bite into them.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:14 pm

You're from the North, right?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm

HelperGuy wrote:You're from the North, right?

How dare you impugn my integrity by suggesting my provenance from some harsh, cold northern hellhole. Had I been born any farther south in the United States I´d have drowned in the Gulf of Mexico, a fate some would have welcomed but that is neither here nor there. I survived for over 70 years so far although tomorrow is uncertain.

Dawg, at one time lived in Bayou La Batre of Forrest Gump fame and I would agree that life is like a box of chocolates and you never know what you are going to get. One thing I am sure of. I got the hell out of Bayou La Batre and found my way to San Francisco. That was a fine move. Traded corn bread and fried fish for sourdough bread and garlic infused scallops Thank you Jesus.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:55 pm

I once put my feet into Forrest Gump's shoes outside of the Bubba Gump's on the Wharf in San Fransisco, and had my photo taken therewith. Then promptly went inside and ate a bucket 'o shrimp, overpriced thought it was.

I unfortunately grew up with only shrimp (way north of you) never crawdaddys, crayfish, prawns ner whatever, but I do know the difference between a shrimp and a scampi, which the rest of uncivilization seems to not.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

The ONLY difference is the words.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 am

[quote="HelperGuy"]I once put my feet into Forrest Gump's shoes outside of the Bubba Gump's on the Wharf in San Fransisco, and had my photo taken therewith. Then promptly went inside and ate a bucket 'o shrimp, overpriced thought it was.

I unfortunately grew up with only shrimp (way north of you) never crawdaddys, crayfish, prawns ner whatever, but I do know the difference between a shrimp and a scampi, which the rest of uncivilization seems to not.[/quote]

Now, down on Mobile Bay, shrimp are known as "cucarachas del mar", crawdads are known as "mudbugs", shrimp are known simply as "shrimp" and the word "prawn" is a largely foreign term to Mobilians. Probably, "scampi" are what the French refer to as "langoustine" (which can be those little critters or a full sized lobster if memory serves me as it sometimes does) but to the best of my knowlege, langoustines are not harvested in Mobile Bay or along the Alabama Coast but I couid be wrong about that.

What we do have along the Gulf Coast of the U.S. is fresh picked crab meat and by that I mean never frozen since the act of freezing picked crab meat ruins its texture and taste or, at least makes the meat less desirable. I have never seen fresh picked crab meat anywhere in Jalisco including along the coastline although I haven´t been to the Jalisco coast in years but visit coastlines in Southern Mexico since that is where we live in the winter. The best seafood we have found in Mexico has been along the Oaxaca Coast, especially on the Pacific side of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec but also, sometimes on the sea fronting the Yucatan Peninsula.

I hate to admit this, but I think the best seafood on earth is harvested in the cold waters of the North Atlantic and, when we go to France to visit family, I love to eat the seafood there. Your opinion may differ. To each his/her own.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 am

I'll certain agree that the seafood in France is exceptional. The north Pacific is equally good.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:42 am

David wrote:I'll certain agree that the seafood in France is exceptional. The north Pacific is equally good.

As is the East Coast: Maine, NH, Mass and Rhode Island where some of the freshest seafood is available.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 am

East coast US seafood is damned good. Too bad it's been overfished and doesn't have the variety it used to.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:47 am

David wrote:The ONLY difference is the words.
Like I said...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 am

Now, down on Mobile Bay, shrimp are known as "cucarachas del mar", crawdads are known as "mudbugs", shrimp are known simply as "shrimp" and the word "prawn" is a largely foreign term to Mobilians. Probably, "scampi" are what the French refer to as "langoustine" (which can be those little critters or a full sized lobster if memory serves me as it sometimes does) but to the best of my knowlege, langoustines are not harvested in Mobile Bay or along the Alabama Coast but I couid be wrong about that.

You are definitely smarter than your picture makes you look, espesh about the scampi.

I would actually use the American right to the 2nd amendment to get some real, fresh crab here... .
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

David wrote:East coast US seafood is damned good. Too bad it's been overfished and doesn't have the variety it used to.

You are correct David. You seem to know a lot about the East Coast. Many, many years ago when I went into outer Boston Harbor fishing with my Dad, there were way too many trawlers scooping up the fish. Back then when we caught Pollock or Shark, we would throw it back. We would only take Haddock and Cod.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:04 pm

"New fresh Pasteleria in West Ajijic"

FISH, grits

I give up are we talking about the Pasteleria or fish and grits??? duh I'm slow

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Whatever you prefer. Here, a topic heading is a suggestion... like stop signs in Mexico.

For rule sticklers and judgmental posters, there is The Other Board.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Whatever you prefer. Here, a topic heading is a suggestion... like stop signs in Mexico.

For rule sticklers and judgmental posters, there is The Other Board.

I am so sorry of the comment I made which was erased. You are correct in your statement above. I am not a rule stickler. Please please give me another chance, I beg of you. You have so much useful information as all on this board. I am slow and dumb, but will learn from all of you. Yes you were correct in stating that Forrest Gump in SF was overpriced. I lived in Aptos Ca and did vist their the FG many times, guess I had more money than sense. Have you visited many places in the bay area?

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:43 pm

For Dawg,
If you haven't finished those pastries yet then you have more willpower than I do.
Care to comment on the quality?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Just finished a fine fine sunday morning pastries and coffee and all I can say is
wonderful. Best cup of normal coffee served in Ajijic. Dawg and his saintly wife
are 100% correct. SUPPORT THIS PLACE!! This is the real thing!!! I agree with
Dawg you don't have to go to Paris anymore for Pastries. Will go back and eat
there. Closed Monday open 9 to 3pm sunday 10 to 3pm.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

little italy wrote:"New fresh Pasteleria in West Ajijic"
FISH, grits

When I first married my Parisenne wife, we argued about the quality of the seafood from the Gulf vs.the North Atlantic even though I had lived in France for about a year when in my early 20s. I had been a bachelor while living in Paris, Marseilles, Nice and some other places in France and couldn´t afford anything above neighborhood bistro status in those days so had to marry into a French family and earn a bit more money to really experience great French seafood and, like Julia Child, my eyes were opened . Not that Gulf seafood cannot be great and not that there is not great seafood in the U.S. as there definitely is but when you go into a restaurant along the sea in France with bins of live fish and shellfish under the kitchen and the chef catches the seafood, guts it (leaving the head on as is commonly done in France)and cooks it to your specific order you have entered another world and, I might add, in my experience, the French would never ever destroy the flavor of fresh fish or shellfish by frying it in cornmeal batter. AAARGHHHH!

So here´s an idea for dinner for those confused by my blending in comments about fried fish and grits with French pastries keeping in mind that this ain´t France and there is nothing we can do about that but the weather is to die for here and Mexico also has some excellent food which you can enjoy al fresco just about all year around whereas, in France, you could freeze you ass off in winter:

It is very difficult if not impossible to find a great margarita in France or any top-of-the-line tequila to drink neat so we always fly with a stash of this fine spirit; blanco only, when we head for Paris from Mexico City. (HINT: Never take your tequila stash through the dreaded United States with its dictatorial TSA but, rather, always fly non-stop from DF to Paris.) We always take Herradura Blanco which is hugely popular among the tequila deprived French. We trade them for some fine cognac, calvados or supurb wines so everybody wins.

Serve tequila drinks all around as aperitifs with the preparation as preferred by those you are serving. Serve the freshest fish or shellfish from the Atlantic or Meditteranean but preferably sauteed in butter, garlic, wine, that sort of thing served on a bed of simple white rice. Here in Ajijic, buy your fresh (Pacific) fish (or frozen shellfish) at Pescaderia Pacifico in West Ajijic which is a recently opened branch of Pescaderia Pacifico in the famous Mercado del Mar in Zapopan where they have been in business wholesaling and retailing seafood for over 30 years.

The French have salad served at the end off the meal but, what the hell, do what you like to do. Serve some green beans parboiled to al dente and then sauteed and browned slightly in butter, garlic and slivered almonds or pine nuts.

End the meal with a Napolean or eclairs or one of the other pastries as featured by the Ajijic pasteleria and bistro to which this thread is dedicated.

As for the cheese grits; put them in the refrigerator where they will congeal and, the next morning remove the congealed grits, cut them into serving slices , dip them in egg batter and fry the resultant congealed grits cakes in bacon grease which will be your breakfast. If you are not feeling all that well from the night before, take the Herradura Blanco Tequila from the place where you have hidden it to thwart any theft by presumptuous guests staying overnight, drink one shot glass of tequila in one swallow, coat the cheese grit cake you are having for breakfast in Tabasco sauce to taste and repeat this procedure until you are satiated and/or passed out.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 pm

[quote="Zedinmexico"]Just finished a fine fine sunday morning pastries and coffee and all I can say is
wonderful. Best cup of normal coffee served in Ajijic. Dawg and his saintly wife
are 100% correct. SUPPORT THIS PLACE!! This is the real thing!!! I agree with
Dawg you don't have to go to Paris anymore for Pastries. Will go back and eat
there. Closed Monday open 9 to 3pm sunday 10 to 3pm.

Z[/quote]

Glad you liked it Zed. I mean, going to Paris is fun but that 12 hour flight from DF plus getting to DF from Guadalajara seems a bit excessive for a napolean. I haven´t tried the coffee there and normally it is my duty to prepare the coffee at home but as my darlin´(saintly?) wife is in Palenque, Toniná and points south this week, perhaps a continental breakfast with a fine cup of coffee is in order. I´ll sit there pretending I´m on Blvd. St. Germain only to crash back to earth upon my exit. However, it will be a fine 80F here in Ajijic instead of a January 35F in Paris. Everything in life is a trade off. The food in this town has certainly improved since 2001. Not a bad place to retire vs. Paris.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 pm

hound dog wrote:
little italy wrote:"New fresh Pasteleria in West Ajijic"
FISH, grits

When I first married my Parisenne wife, we argued about the quality of the seafood from the Gulf vs.the North Atlantic even though I had lived in France for about a year when in my early 20s. I had been a bachelor while living in Paris, Marseilles, Nice and some other places in France and couldn´t afford anything above neighborhood bistro status in those days so had to marry into a French family and earn a bit more money to really experience great French seafood and, like Julia Child, my eyes were opened . Not that Gulf seafood cannot be great and not that there is not great seafood in the U.S. as there definitely is but when you go into a restaurant along the sea in France with bins of live fish and shellfish under the kitchen and the chef catches the seafood, guts it (leaving the head on as is commonly done in France)and cooks it to your specific order you have entered another world and, I might add, in my experience, the French would never ever destroy the flavor of fresh fish or shellfish by frying it in cornmeal batter. AAARGHHHH!

So here´s an idea for dinner for those confused by my blending in comments about fried fish and grits with French pastries keeping in mind that this ain´t France and there is nothing we can do about that but the weather is to die for here and Mexico also has some excellent food which you can enjoy al fresco just about all year around whereas, in France, you could freeze you ass off in winter:

It is very difficult if not impossible to find a great margarita in France or any top-of-the-line tequila to drink neat so we always fly with a stash of this fine spirit; blanco only, when we head for Paris from Mexico City. (HINT: Never take your tequila stash through the dreaded United States with its dictatorial TSA but, rather, always fly non-stop from DF to Paris.) We always take Herradura Blanco which is hugely popular among the tequila deprived French. We trade them for some fine cognac, calvados or supurb wines so everybody wins.

Serve tequila drinks all around as aperitifs with the preparation as preferred by those you are serving. Serve the freshest fish or shellfish from the Atlantic or Meditteranean but preferably sauteed in butter, garlic, wine, that sort of thing served on a bed of simple white rice. Here in Ajijic, buy your fresh (Pacific) fish (or frozen shellfish) at Pescaderia Pacifico in West Ajijic which is a recently opened branch of Pescaderia Pacifico in the famous Mercado del Mar in Zapopan where they have been in business wholesaling and retailing seafood for over 30 years.

The French have salad served at the end off the meal but, what the hell, do what you like to do. Serve some green beans parboiled to al dente and then sauteed and browned slightly in butter, garlic and slivered almonds or pine nuts.

End the meal with a Napolean or eclairs or one of the other pastries as featured by the Ajijic pasteleria and bistro to which this thread is dedicated.

As for the cheese grits; put them in the refrigerator where they will congeal and, the next morning remove the congealed grits, cut them into serving slices , dip them in egg batter and fry the resultant congealed grits cakes in bacon grease which will be your breakfast. If you are not feeling all that well from the night before, take the Herradura Blanco Tequila from the place where you have hidden it to thwart any theft by presumptuous guests staying overnight, drink one shot glass of tequila in one swallow, coat the cheese grit cake you are having for breakfast in Tabasco sauce to taste and repeat this procedure until you are satiated and/or passed out.
All true, except I don know nuttin' 'bout grits. However, my comment: can anyone actually afford pine nuts anymore?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Grits (AKA Hominy Grits) = (normally) bleached finely ground corn used usually as a cereal the primary purpose of which is to add texture and flavor to the gravies or fats (such as butter or cheese) or meat/vegetable/egg stews placed thereupon and mixed therein. Grits without the requisite flavoring agents are of zero interest even to Jed Clampett.

Think of polenta or cous-cous. These grains need a savory addition to be of interest and without those additions are bland and lacking in interest. But, given the right savory addition of fats or stews, whether Italian or Algerian or Moroccan or Alabamian, these grains become sublime treats.

Too bad you missed that in life. you won´t find grits easily in Mexico so try polenta or (if you live in the right place) cous-cous.

As for pine nuts, we bring ours over from France after a visit there where they are expensive but within reason.

Things change with local supply and demand. We buy limes here for a song but the last time we were in France, limes were one Euro each. That´s about $1.35USD per lime.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by DonPito Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 pm

When will those Frenchies start makin' moonpies?

DonPito
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Polenta, couscous, pine nuts, what wonderful treats these are.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next