INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US

+18
Chapalamed
hound dog
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
ferret
gringal
viajero
Chapala Payaso
Ms Mac
simpsca
hockables
CheenaGringo
gringomojado
jrm30655
little italy
Rolly
Jim W
joec
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US Empty FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US

Post by joec Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Some of you may or may not have heard that the Flu is running rampant throughout the US, far more serious than in other years. In Boston, MA alone there are 700 reported cases where normally at this time there would be 70 cases. 18 people have died. It is in EVERY State in the US. Hospitals cannot handle everyone and some are turning people away. You should be cautious if you are expecting a visitor from the US.

I don't know if it's spread into Canada yet, but most likely it has since it travels easily on planes.

They are urging people to still get Flu shots, so if you haven't got yours get it, especially if you have any kind of health condition.

Wash your hands often in HOT soapy water. It kills germs.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US Empty Re: FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm

US has already delivered 95% of available vaccine.......and now it is in short supply.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US Empty Re: FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US

Post by Rolly Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 pm

joec wrote: Wash your hands often in HOT soapy water. It kills germs.
Frequent hand washing is always a good idea. It is also useful to understand what it really does.

Water hot enough to kill the flu virus would scald your hands. Soap is not an antiviral agent.
So washing your hands in hot soapy water is not going to kill the virus, but it will wash away any that may be clinging to your hands.

Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:53 pm

joec wrote:Some of you may or may not have heard that the Flu is running rampant throughout the US, far more serious than in other years. In Boston, MA alone there are 700 reported cases where normally at this time there would be 70 cases. 18 people have died. It is in EVERY State in the US. Hospitals cannot handle everyone and some are turning people away. You should be cautious if you are expecting a visitor from the US.

I don't know if it's spread into Canada yet, but most likely it has since it travels easily on planes.

They are urging people to still get Flu shots, so if you haven't got yours get it, especially if you have any kind of health condition.

Wash your hands often in HOT soapy water. It kills germs.

Just an FYI. have you ever noticed when purchasing bottle, cans, etc. those finger prints on the items? a couple of years ago I did notice. Since, every can, bottle, etc. when returning from the Grocery store, or those who have given me gifts of wine, I make up a sudsy water base of dish washing soap and wipe down those items. No I am not a clean freak as I have a dog and cat (just can't seem to get them to wash their paws, especially when the cat uses her litter box. I also wipe down handles on doors, kitchen nobs with disinfecting wipes.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:06 pm

The guy who runs the complex says he thinks he has the flu. I told him if he got within sight, I'd shoot him. He said if he felt this bad tomorrow he wanted to borrow my gun to shoot himself.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Rolly wrote:
Frequent hand washing is always a good idea. It is also useful to understand what it really does.

Water hot enough to kill the flu virus would scald your hands. Soap is not an antiviral agent.
So washing your hands in hot soapy water is not going to kill the virus, but it will wash away any that may be clinging to your hands.

Best thing is avoid people. Inhabitants of remote areas such as many Canadians and Alaskans don't get flu, if they don't have contact with "town". Remote tribes in tropical areas don't either. The healthiest are strict hermits.

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

One can choose to live life in a "bubble" but even that option isn't free of problems:
[img]FLU is Running Rampant throughout the US 02290810[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

gringomojado wrote:
Rolly wrote:

Best thing is avoid people. Inhabitants of remote areas such as many Canadians and Alaskans don't get flu, if they don't have contact with "town". Remote tribes in tropical areas don't either. The healthiest are strict hermits.

gm

U should be OK then.... keep up the good work!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 am

I was recently in the hospital and first day home I was sick with one of the worst stomach and intestinal flus I've every had. Nurses in hospital wearing masks said there are bad bugs in the hospital. So stay out of the hospital if you can.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 am

Yes, hospitals are the worst.

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 am

One of the biggest problems for hospitals throughout the world is the shear number of contact surfaces where germs and bacteria can multiply. A new hospital opened in Paris where as many of the contact surfaces as possible were made from copper rather than the more typical stainless steel, aluminum or plastic. These would include bed rails, cart tops, sinks, plumbing fixtures, door knobs & push plates, etc.

Why? Because copper is a natural element and has natural antimicrobial qualities that inhibits the growth of germs and bacteria. This hospital is a working case study designed to confirm previous studies and may set new design concepts for hospitals.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

Would the wearing of copper bracelets help repel the flu virus?

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:56 am

CP:

The benefits of copper bracelets have been rumored for many years but I haven't read where combating the flu was one of them. Maybe dentures of copper or a copper face mask? HA!

I failed to mention in my above post that a company in the Carolinas is working on bed sheets with copper oxide woven into the fabric. Maybe that same fabric would be appropriate would be beneficial in surgical masks?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am

Chapala Payaso wrote:Would the wearing of copper bracelets help repel the flu virus?
Only if they're embedded with quartz crystals.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Wear a garlic necklace. Eat lotsa garlic. This will ensure that contact with flu-bearing Others will keep their distance. Wear a copper bustier for good measure.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 pm

One of the things that they also discovered in a Hospital environment, is to make sure that the water from the tap does NOT make direct contact with the drain. Way too much crud splashes up from the drain when the stream of water goes directly into it.
Also lever taps, that you can turn on and off with your wrist, rather than the round ones that you grip to turn off, are also bacterial deterrents...easier on the hands too.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:40 pm

"Wear a garlic necklace. Eat lotsa garlic. This will ensure that contact with flu-bearing Others will keep their distance. Wear a copper bustier for good measure." gringal

Thanks for the LOL Very Happy
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:"Wear a garlic necklace. Eat lotsa garlic. This will ensure that contact with flu-bearing Others will keep their distance. Wear a copper bustier for good measure." gringal

Thanks for the LOL Very Happy

But seriously folks: Many of us are in the vulnerable category. It's a good time to get your flu shot (unless you're dead set against such things), stay out of large crowds, avoid flying if you can and hide. The flu epidemic following WWI resulted in more deaths than the war itself. We're all gonna die sometime, but preferably LATER.
Shocked

Have a healthy New Year. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Chapala Payaso wrote:Would the wearing of copper bracelets help repel the flu virus?

Don't know....but might be great for upscale S&M addicts. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 pm

"....but might be great for upscale S&M addicts."

... but only if it included the copper bustier. Very Happy
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:"....but might be great for upscale S&M addicts."

... but only if it included the copper bustier. Very Happy

How about a copper cup?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Ms Mac wrote:Yes, hospitals are the worst.

Lots of sick people in hospitals! Ya never see a sick hermit do you?
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I haven´t ben able to uncover any information as to whether Lakeside has a serious flu problem as of yet but I´ll get a flu shot anyway as a precaution. I hope it´s not too late.

When I searched Google for flu problems in Mexico I started reading about past flu pandemics including the scare in Mexico of a few years ago and that was freaky. Remember the masks at the airport and other precautions? According to one of the articles I read on the subject, Hispanics are more likely to contract the virus than non-Hispanics because, in general, they, as a group, are less inclined to seek vaccinations for protection. I don´t know that that is true but I do think that I´ll avoid crowds for now no matter their ethnicity or geographical origin and keep in mind lots of folks are coming down here right now from the cold north where this flu strain has proven widespread and very dangerous. Good luck on that flight from NOB. Try not to breathe or eat anything for the duration of the flight and maybe wear a mask.

Smokealot

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 pm

At the very least, it will keep people at a safe distance. Very Happy

Last edited by Ms Mac on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : delete)

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:10 pm

gringomojado wrote:
Ms Mac wrote:Yes, hospitals are the worst.

Lots of sick people in hospitals! Ya never see a sick hermit do you?
gm
Not unless you visit them in their cave.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next