INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cell phones

Go down

cell phones Empty cell phones

Post by E-raq Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:59 pm

O.K. my techie friends. I'm looking to get my very first cell phone. I know, a luddite.

Here's what I need if possible.

1. A cellphone that works all over Mexico.
2. One where you buy minutes that only run out when you've used them all, none of those crappy monthly lost minutes for me.
3. One which can connect to your answering machine so that robbers can't call to check if you're home.

If it's not too expensive that would be nice too. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to technical devices. The one and only reason we have any cool stuff is the kids who think we're both older than dirt, and so far behind the times we're just unbelievable. They're probably right, but anyhow any help would be greatly appreciated.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by hockables Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:29 pm

1. Telcel
2. I believe you can buy a large number of minutes that are good for one year...
3. You would simply use call forward from your home line to your cell phone..... or any other phone for that matter...

Welcome to the Future!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3745
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 pm

It would be great of the Techies to explore and explain Cell plan options.
Hocks, I don't know what plans are available here, I am not on a contract, and usually have to buy 100 pesos worth of cell time to reactivate minutes frozen.

Cell phone usage charges in Mexico are anything but futuristic. Not being on a plan, I call you Cell to Cell....over 7 pesos a minute.....I make the call from my land line.....less than 2 pesos per minute. I call your cell it costs you nothing, you call from your cell to my land line 4-7 pesos per minute.

When I put money on my phone, I am not buying minutes..... Basta PLEASE someone put a logical spin on Cell Charges/ programs.....maybe limit to Telcel for a starter. GRACIAS... cell phones 851398
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5152
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 73
Location : Chapala
Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by gringal Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:54 pm

The telcel office across from the parking lot entrance for the El Torito complex has a very helpful woman running things. Down around the corner from the Casino.
I just bought a cheapee there to replace my scrunched one. I like to have one when traveling. Anywhere.
Yes, I'm on the Amiga plan for 100 pesos every other month. I now have 1700 minutes accumulated. A chatty soul, obviously.

All our kids think we are fossils from the stone age. What else is new?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm

So confusing to me, I was buying 2 fer minutes last year. Bought 500 pesos got matching for a total of 1000, discovered later, not minutes, but pesos, and @ 7 pesos per minute for not contract calls, less than 150 minutes.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5152
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 73
Location : Chapala
Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by E-raq Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks to all. Now how about having calls forwarded to your cell if your landline rings. Anyone have any goodies on that deal?

Whole new world for this old lady.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by E-raq Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:18 pm

gringal wrote:The telcel office across from the parking lot entrance for the El Torito complex has a very helpful woman running things. Down around the corner from the Casino.
I just bought a cheapee there to replace my scrunched one. I like to have one when traveling. Anywhere.
Yes, I'm on the Amiga plan for 100 pesos every other month. I now have 1700 minutes accumulated. A chatty soul, obviously.

All our kids think we are fossils from the stone age. What else is new?

O.K. gringal mi amiga, have you actually built up 1700 minutes? Or did you go on a phone up everybody spree and actually use all those minutes.

How cheap is cheap?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

E-raq wrote:Thanks to all. Now how about having calls forwarded to your cell if your landline rings. Anyone have any goodies on that deal?

Whole new world for this old lady.

Raq, That's a central office feature of Telmex, not Telcel, never looked into it here, assuming call forwarding is available from Telmex, should be simple, you forward home to cell and pay for feature, plus call time to cell.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5152
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 73
Location : Chapala
Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by E-raq Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Jim W wrote:
E-raq wrote:Thanks to all. Now how about having calls forwarded to your cell if your landline rings. Anyone have any goodies on that deal?

Whole new world for this old lady.

Raq, That's a central office feature of Telmex, not Telcel, never looked into it here, assuming call forwarding is available from Telmex, should be simple, you forward home to cell and pay for feature, plus call time to cell.

Thanks Jim, I was kinda figuring we had better get the cell phone first then request the call forwarding service.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by David Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 pm

If you have a package from Telmex that includes internet and phone you will have call forwarding and voice mail. Ask the office for the instructions the have a friend translate them for you. Not much different fron NOB to use.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5003
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by David Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Jim W wrote:So confusing to me, I was buying 2 fer minutes last year. Bought 500 pesos got matching for a total of 1000, discovered later, not minutes, but pesos, and @ 7 pesos per minute for not contract calls, less than 150 minutes.


Yes you're buying Peso credit not minute because call have various costs. If you go to the Telcel store mentioned they'll set you up to call at n/c to the two people you call the most. Then they'll set up the next 10 numbers you call often so that you pay only 1.7 Pesos per minute.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5003
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm

David wrote:
Jim W wrote:So confusing to me, I was buying 2 fer minutes last year. Bought 500 pesos got matching for a total of 1000, discovered later, not minutes, but pesos, and @ 7 pesos per minute for not contract calls, less than 150 minutes.


Yes you're buying Peso credit not minute because call have various costs. If you go to the Telcel store mentioned they'll set you up to call at n/c to the two people you call the most. Then they'll set up the next 10 numbers you call often so that you pay only 1.7 Pesos per minute.

I didn't even want to get into that David, Cel programs here are frustrating at best, example....I called 5 different numbers last month, but since I did not go to Telcel, and load them in as top 10, prior to calling, paid top rate, most near 7 pesos per minute. Basta rather than 1.7 per minute.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5152
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 73
Location : Chapala
Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by David Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 pm

It is what it is. The option is there if you want to take advantage of it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5003
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 pm

All I can say is to run my Iphone here on the "pay as you play" plan it is about 1/3 of what I was paying in Vancouver. I load up 300 pesos and it lasts me a month, including data. In Vancouver I was paying $80 per month as you had to have a data package ($80 minimum) in order to run an Iphone there.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 18837
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 57
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by E-raq Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks all, got my first cell phone today. Oh Mama it has whacking big numbers I can even see them without my glasses. Got the old Amiga plan, and call forwarding from our friendly Telmex dude all for the same low low price we're already paying.

Thanks y'all one happy happy camper here!!!!!
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

cell phones Empty Re: cell phones

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum