INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Email money transfers

+11
hockables
CheenaGringo
slainte39
cane
brigitte
lucky
DonPito
Grizzy
ferret
sparks
ComputerGuy
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Email money transfers - Page 2 Empty Re: Email money transfers

Post by merry Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Yep, showed them the paper with the number... I know the politeness of which you speak; I don't think it's that.

DANG, HelperGuy! Then it's time to pull out the big guns!

I just don't know what they are in this case.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:08 pm

If it's any consolation... one day many years ago, I had money wired to me in Spain. It was sent to the capital, Madrid. However, I was on the Costa del Sol.

They sent it by SNAIL MAIL from Madrid... we didn't even know the term snail mail in those days... it took almost a month for the money to make it by Spanish Post the several hundred miles. We were truly out of money, food, etc. like the hackers often claim.

I do hope this is not the case for you, it would take a long time to check all those 18,000 locations.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeah, it's not like it's a "major award" or anything...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Maybe they are holding out for a payment of 1lb of good salted butter?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Elita Guzman Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Guys, once you have the code number (I forgot what's it called) to pick up your money, you can also go to Elektra, if there's one in Chapala or Ajijic, that's the main WU agency. It's easier than going to Banamex or Farmacia Guadalajara.

Surte
Elita Guzman
Elita Guzman

Humor : Depends :)

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Do you think Elektra might not send me to Banamex, too?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 pm

HelperGuy, here are their Terms & Conditions, they are loaded with "Except for Mexico" exceptions:

http://www.westernunion.com/us/terms-conditions

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Elita Guzman Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm

They won't, it has happened to me a few times, it also depends on the amount of money, that's why it's better if you go to Elektra, to the Banco Azteca windows, just make sure you have the right number, the amount you're getting and the sender's name... Very Happy
Elita Guzman
Elita Guzman

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 pm

I know it's no consolation but this happens with bank transfers to Mexico as well. The money gets "lost" for a few weeks. I think that Western Union is making money on your money.
Hopefully it will show up soon.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 am

HelperGuy wrote:Do you think Elektra might not send me to Banamex, too?

I suggested Banca Azteca 49 posts and 2 threads ago....but alas...somebody had their mind on "BUTTER".
If you don't pickup the W.U....we can't buy the butter. Email money transfers - Page 2 477249

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:32 am

The website at www.westernunion.com.mx (button to change the language to English in the upper right hand corner) has all the information about pickup locations, pickup requirements, limits at the varoius locations, etc. It even has a "check transfer status" feature so you can tell if your transfer is ready or if (perish the thought) it's already been picked up, i.e. stolen.
I personally will NEVER deal with Western Union again because of an incident in which the money transfer that I was sending was stolen, most likely by the agent at the receiving end. WU was most unhelpful and I eventually gave up pursuing the issue. I do not fault them for the dishonest agent - any company will have a few bad apples - but I do hold them responsible for their absolute refusal to investigate or follow up. Since then I have used Moneygram for international transfers when bank-to-bank isn't possible.
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 am

Helper Guy: i told my friend in the US that i had not been able to get the money and he spent a lot of time on the phone with Western Union in the US on thursday, 28 february. my friend had sent me $1000US. not all that much, but maybe too much for a local pick up here in jocotepec, even at the bank. anyhow, western union told my friend that somewhere along the line (don't know if that was after he called or previously) they had split the $1000US payout into two $500US payouts and gave him two new access numbers.

he checked the original number and it shows as having been picked up, but he thinks that WU did that in order to clear that original transaction and allow WU to make the two $500US payouts. so i'll go back to Banamex and/or Banca Azteca here in joco to check on the two new numbers to see if the money is there.

i'll keep you posted!

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 am

I don't understand. Why in the world would anyone use WU in this day and age? It's the most expensive way to send money and surly rife with this kind of bs. Why aren't you guys using PayPal? Or electronic bank transfers?

Hope you all get your money.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:51 am

slainte39 wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:Do you think Elektra might not send me to Banamex, too?
I suggested Banca Azteca 49 posts and 2 threads ago....but alas...somebody had their mind on "BUTTER". If you don't pickup the W.U....we can't buy the butter. Email money transfers - Page 2 477249
I know you did, and of the choices I had then, I went to one WU office and they sent me to Banamex, saying that was the only place I could go. Having tried to get in there, and really hating long lineups and waits, I am now willing (based on the other poster's actual experience) to go to Elektra, which is just near Banamex... and if I get lucky, great, I will buy you a pound of butter. If not, then I will bitch-slap your posts around, because I will end up back at Banamex.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Elita Guzman Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 am

HelperGuy, I really hope you get your money at Elektra, and if you're getting money wired from the U.S., you or your friend might want to try wiring via Internet, my cousin from Las Vegas was a Western Union frequent customer, as he wires money to his family down here, now he uses this other system and he says it's very safe and a lot cheaper than Western Union. I'll ask him more about it and let you know in a couple of days Very Happy
Elita Guzman
Elita Guzman

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 am

Traveller wrote:The website at www.westernunion.com.mx (button to change the language to English in the upper right hand corner) has all the information about pickup locations, pickup requirements, limits at the varoius locations, etc. It even has a "check transfer status" feature so you can tell if your transfer is ready or if (perish the thought) it's already been picked up, i.e. stolen.
Absolutely hilarious, but thanks for the link. I get an error every time I put in the sender's name and/or transfer number. On the "find an agent" page, after putting in the country, YOU have to know the address! What??

Under "receiving in Mexico", we find interesting facts like: "Mexico will not payout money on proof of lost ID". Again, what??
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 am

Elita Guzman wrote:HelperGuy, I really hope you get your money at Elektra, and if you're getting money wired from the U.S., you or your friend might want to try wiring via Internet, my cousin from Las Vegas was a Western Union frequent customer, as he wires money to his family down here, now he uses this other system and he says it's very safe and a lot cheaper than Western Union. I'll ask him more about it and let you know in a couple of days Very Happy
Thanks so much. A guy with a shop in Riberas was telling me yesterday he and his friends use WU all the time to send money home from California and it's always a nightmare picking it up. I'd be really interested in this wiring system.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am

Trailrunner wrote:I don't understand. Why in the world would anyone use WU in this day and age? It's the most expensive way to send money and surly rife with this kind of bs. Why aren't you guys using PayPal? Or electronic bank transfers? Hope you all get your money.
My friend is brilliant at many things, but not this kind of thing. When he went to his bank with my instructions for electronic funds transfer/email funds transfer, apparently they had no idea what he was talking about, and recommended WU. At least they didn't offer the old-school "wiring" the money, which costs at least $50 a pop. The thought of setting up a PayPal account for him and going through all that? Uh-uh.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am

lucky wrote:Helper Guy: i told my friend in the US that i had not been able to get the money and he spent a lot of time on the phone with Western Union in the US on thursday, 28 february. my friend had sent me $1000US. not all that much, but maybe too much for a local pick up here in jocotepec, even at the bank. anyhow, western union told my friend that somewhere along the line (don't know if that was after he called or previously) they had split the $1000US payout into two $500US payouts and gave him two new access numbers.

he checked the original number and it shows as having been picked up, but he thinks that WU did that in order to clear that original transaction and allow WU to make the two $500US payouts. so i'll go back to Banamex and/or Banca Azteca here in joco to check on the two new numbers to see if the money is there.

i'll keep you posted!
Holy crap. Good luck.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am

HelperGuy wrote:Absolutely hilarious, but thanks for the link. I get an error every time I put in the sender's name and/or transfer number. On the "find an agent" page, after putting in the country, YOU have to know the address! What??
You are supposed to put in YOUR address and the site gives you a list of nearby agents. Theoretically. That said, this morning I can't seem to access the lovely list I found last night. I should've copied it when I had the chance.
Their whole customer service process, either online or over the phone, seems more designed to confuse than to enlighten. Good luck!
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:52 am

Ah ha! Not enough caffeine in me this morning........ that's even more hilarious. thanks.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2