INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allergies/Hayfever

+6
Pedro
Jim W
gringal
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
bman2
10 posters

Go down

Allergies/Hayfever Empty Allergies/Hayfever

Post by bman2 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Wondering what fellow allergy sufferers experience is like living in Ajijic? I have ragweed, grass, tree pollens, dust and mold spores as the main culprits for me. I use prescription Rhinocort Aqua nasal spray once per day which has provided excellent relief...read recently about allergies caused by the Jacaranda trees blooming but not sure if that would affect me or not.
Thanks
bman2
bman2

Back to top Go down

Allergies/Hayfever Empty Re: Allergies/Hayfever

Post by CanuckBob Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:08 pm

I have the usual hayfever type allergies and at certain times of the year I need to take some Reactin (or something similar). It seems to be bad right now.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

You will probably join the ranks of allergy sufferers here too. Loratidina (Claritin) works for me and costs next to nothing.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm

When I first moved from the Big City to rural Sonoma County, I was a stuffed up, miserable mess in the blooming season. A local lady took pity and suggested I start having a spoonful of LOCAL honey per day and expect to hang in there for several months since it takes a while to work. It worked. It even works in Mexico. Beware the so-called local honey sold in some markets. Tuesday farmers' market has several people selling the real deal.
Much cheaper and better for you than pills.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:34 pm

gringal wrote:When I first moved from the Big City to rural Sonoma County, I was a stuffed up, miserable mess in the blooming season. A local lady took pity and suggested I start having a spoonful of LOCAL honey per day and expect to hang in there for several months since it takes a while to work. It worked. It even works in Mexico. Beware the so-called local honey sold in some markets. Tuesday farmers' market has several people selling the real deal.
Much cheaper and better for you than pills.

Gringal, how can you tell if it is the real deal?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:46 pm

"Roberto, owner of Lake Chapala tree service is a beekeeper. The phone number is posted in his adds and he speaks very good English. I have had some of his honey as a gift. It was very good!!" From TOB. Couple of posts come up with a search.

So: Know a beekeeper. Hit the Tuesday farmers market, where Deena Hafker sells veggies, kefir and when she has it, local honey. Several others do, too. I think the bread man at the back of the Tuesday market with the sliced breads is another.

There is a test you can run to see if what you have is real honey rather than syrup, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

This works because it eventually creates an immunity. A more scientific mind than mine can explain it further, and I hope he/she will.

Besides that, it tastes much better than pills, especially on a muffin. Whaddya got to lose? Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 pm

unfortunately, at our age, some of us have type 2 diabetes and high bp, which precludes the use of honey and antihistamines for allergies,
when i get a sudden attack, i use buckley's original mixture which unfortunately is only available in canada, guests from which are not allowed in our casa unless they have brought me some. so i have plenty. bring on them poiple trees-i is armed-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 pm

So what's in Buckley's original mixture?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, the Jacaranda is notorious for causing nose-suffering everywhere. However, with me, it is cyclical: only every four years or so. No idea why. (I too use Laratadine 10mg, no-name Equate from U.S. Walmart. Very inexpensive. That is for 24-hour coverage. For spot coverage, Equate's Dyphenhydramine 25mg is the best for me.

To test honey, a tablespoon of honey and a half-glass of water works: drop the honey in. Impure honey dissolves; pure honey sinks in a lump. Or give it a little stir: pure honey will stick to the sides of the glass; the others will dissolve. Originally got this info from a bee scientist at a bar here in Mexico. It's described along with the candle method here: http://www.wikihow.com/Verify-the-Purity-of-Honey
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:24 pm

gringal wrote:So what's in Buckley's original mixture?
potassium bicarbonate,ammonium carbonate,menthol and camphor. it tastes soooo bad that ya fergets what ails ya!
i use it fer colds to. it immediately,if not sooner, hits yer lungs and sinuses and ya cough and sneeze the crap out, that bothering ya.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 pm

This may work for some but I keep a HEPA filter running on high the majority of the time and for me it really works. It took about a week to clean out the rooms I spend most of my time in but now I can get up and breathe. Also to be out and about for a time doesn’t seem to be much of a bother. I like the sound of the “Honey” thing, makes total sense to me, now just to find the real stuff.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 am

There are meds that can be given via IM injection that can help alleviate these symptoms for more than 6-8 weeks at a time.

See your PCP for more info.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:16 am

If you want to have injections and pills........go for it. I'll stick with the honey.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm

The honey does work! That has been my experience too. I rarely have to take a Loratadina now
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 am

1 tsp of honey/day is just plain old good preventative medicine.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down