INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confiscation of foreign plated cars?

+16
Carry Bean
slainte39
viajero
Trailrunner
gringal
cosalamx
Jim W
lunateak
cypress
CanuckBob
Ms.Thang
ComputerGuy
Rosa Venus
CheenaGringo
MexicoPete
jackak10
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Confiscation of foreign plated cars? Empty Confiscation of foreign plated cars?

Post by jackak10 Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 pm

I read a third-party report on The MexConnect board about three people in Mazatlan who have had their US or Canada plated cars confiscated because of the Permanente kerfluffle. Is there anyone here with direct knowledge of any confiscation by local police, federales, auduana, whoever?

MexConnect thread here:

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188845;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I hope that long-ass URL gets you there.

Last edited by jackak10 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding info)

jackak10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Confiscation of foreign plated cars? Empty Re: Confiscation of foreign plated cars?

Post by MexicoPete Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I think they are over reacting. We were always taught that the only people who can check our immigration status are not the police but the immigration officials.

Maybe someone like Spencer would like to step in and comment thereon.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Confiscation of foreign plated cars? Empty Re: Confiscation of foreign plated cars?

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Pete:

Believe what you would like of "Mexico life lessons" but I have read and personally seen the Federales that hang out by the airport pulling people over and checking all vehicle documents.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

MexicoPete wrote:I think they are over reacting. We were always taught that the only people who can check our immigration status are not the police but the immigration officials.

I have had a local Transito in the past insist on seeing my immigration document under the guise that it was the only way for him to confirm that my car with the ancient, expired TIP was still legal.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 pm

I am told that we are obligated to show papers proving our right to be here to everyone from transitos on up. The difference is, they are not allowed to do anything about it other than accept it as proof of ownership of imported vehicle.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 pm

I guess all of the above is possible. But I've been here since 1997 and no one has ever asked for my immigration papers, accept at the airport/border etc.

What my Mexican attorney has done was give me his/her private cell phone # and should an official ask for something I do not have or that I think, is illegal, is to phone my attorney and have the official talk to my attorney. I also carry copies of the laws with me in Spanish that the attorney can tell the official to look at.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 pm

I know that when I got stopped for my license plate, as soon as I showed my FM card, everything changed... they were much nicer to me.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm just waiting for someone's insurance company to refuse to pay their claim because their car is no longer legal since immigration status changed. Can't believe no one has tried that yet because they just loooove to find reasons not to pay claims. It is bound to happen to someone sooner or later.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 am

We have some friends that just arrived here from San Miguel yesterday with a California plated vehicle. They were pulled over and checked for immigration/vehicle documents just past the airport around 12:00 noon. He explained to the cop that he didn't have his visa card with him since he just applied for a renewal. That explantion was good enough and he was let go.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm

That link doesn't work. It just brings you to this forum. Under what heading is that on in MexConnect?
jackak10 wrote:I read a third-party report on The MexConnect board about three people in Mazatlan who have had their US or Canada plated cars confiscated because of the Permanente kerfluffle. Is there anyone here with direct knowledge of any confiscation by local police, federales, auduana, whoever?

MexConnect thread here:

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188845;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I hope that long-ass URL gets you there.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm

The link worked for me using IE 10.

If for some reason it doesn't for you. Go to the Mexconnect forums. It's located at
Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring

under the subject of

"Scarcity of Ilegal Vehicles"
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks. It sounds like there are some renegade cops in Mazatlan.
MexicoPete wrote:The link worked for me using IE 10.

If for some reason it doesn't for you. Go to the Mexconnect forums. It's located at
Forums > General > Living, Working, Retiring

under the subject of

"Scarcity of Ilegal Vehicles"

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

I've asked 3 attorneys about the above subject. And frankly I feel that things will quiet down with time, but that there could be complications.

Right now, I'm driving a very dented 2 Dr. Ford Explorer Sport I picked up in 2000 in Texas. This car is worth less than the cost of nationalizing it.

I was planning to get a newer car anyway. So maybe I should start looking a little bit harder so that should it become necessary, I could move rapidly to pick up a new RAV 4.

Sadly although the RAV 4 has XM/Sirius Radio up North be you in Canada or the USA, I don't think that's an option down here.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 am

Although you can pick up the signal for XM/Sirius in Mexico there is no agreement/treaty legally allowing service in Mexico.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 am

I don't think New car dealers offer XM/SIRIUS subscriptions in Mexico. You could buy a new or any vehicle here and have it retro'd or drive NOB have it installed and sign up.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Still, easy enough to buy one online and get it installed on the dash.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm

I have a XM radio in my house. It works great. Oh and Spencer checked with the Toyota dealer. None of the 2013 RAV4s have 4 wheel drive. I guess I will look at the Honda CR-V
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 am

MexicoPete wrote:I have a XM radio in my house. It works great. Oh and Spencer checked with the Toyota dealer. None of the 2013 RAV4s have 4 wheel drive. I guess I will look at the Honda CR-V

Pete, anywhere that you need 4WD, is a place YOU should not be.

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 am

cosalamx wrote:
MexicoPete wrote:I have a XM radio in my house. It works great. Oh and Spencer checked with the Toyota dealer. None of the 2013 RAV4s have 4 wheel drive. I guess I will look at the Honda CR-V

ROFL. When we first moved to Mexico, we wondered whether our pickup would be adequate, as opposed to one of those 4 wheel drive jobs. Then we discovered that the taxi drivers, going everywhere around and up and down the steep hills in SMA were mostly driving Nissan Sentras. IMO, you got it right, Cosalamex, unless off roading is your thing. Three years of driving a small sedan: no problems, easy parking and cheap to keep.

However, car choices involve the heart and the gut; not necessarily the head. There's something about those ads showing macho guys fording streams and climbing rutted mountain roads................. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 am

Oh man! Off road is a blast. I have a tough old 4Runner and one time a couple of friends and I took it from Las Trojes, behind Jocotepec, all the way to Ixlahuacan. Took all day and we ran across herds of cows and horses, rivers to plot a path across, gorgeous scenery, and a few off-road maniacs on quads from Guad. I probably wouldn't go back there now, tho. . .

And y'all know what a macho guy I am! lolol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

Trailrunner wrote:Oh man! Off road is a blast.
You're darn right it is.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 am

gringal wrote:
cosalamx wrote:

ROFL. When we first moved to Mexico, we wondered whether our pickup would be adequate, as opposed to one of those 4 wheel drive jobs. Then we discovered that the taxi drivers, going everywhere around and up and down the steep hills in SMA were mostly driving Nissan Sentras. IMO, you got it right, Cosalamex, unless off roading is your thing. Three years of driving a small sedan: no problems, easy parking and cheap to keep.

However, car choices involve the heart and the gut; not necessarily the head. There's something about those ads showing macho guys fording streams and climbing rutted mountain roads................. Rolling Eyes

Evidently from these comments, you folks haven't been up to the top of Juarez lately, where Pete lives. That last block, the goats can hardly make it with 4WD.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 am

So Pete needs a 4 wheel drive, and offroading is fun if your back ain't broke already.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:18 am

I had a Rav4 that did not have 4-WD. They're VERY skiddy even on flat stretches when it's rainy. Loved the car except for that but if I ever got another it would have to have 4-WD, even here. It's something about the way the weight is distributed on the frame. And I sure didn't care to offroad.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 am

Yes a four wheel drive makes things much easier the last couple of blocks to my house especially if it has recently rained
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next