INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan?

+10
Ezzie
Jim W
MexicoPete
ComputerGuy
Rolly
gringal
Ms.Thang
brigitte
Twonk
gringoman
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? Empty Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan?

Post by gringoman Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:00 am

Recently moved into a new rental property which has the $999 plan. Was told by Telmex that I could not downgrade to the $599 plan. They only allow upgrades! Anyone tried downgrading plans with any success?

gringoman

Back to top Go down

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? Empty Re: Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan?

Post by Twonk Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 am

Yes, we downgraded about 3 months ago from the 599 to the 399 plan, and didn't lose any speed either!

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? Empty Re: Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan?

Post by brigitte Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 am

Yes we did without problems.
Tell then to terminate the contract and start a new one. If the original contract is not in your name it maybe the problem but you should be able to do it.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:21 am

We also downgraded from the highest speed to the lowest speed. I don't notice a difference either.
Interesting they would allow an upgrade on a contract not in your name, but not a downgrade!
Did you try to do it online, by phone or in person?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:51 am

The mystery of the day is why nobody I know got any better speed when they upgraded. Some upgrade, si?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Telmex will be happy to sell you a high speed service without telling you that the actual speed you will get depends on how far you are from the Telmex building where the internet equipment is located.

The length and physical condition of the phone line limit the speed it will pass. A very general rule says you must be within about 5 km of the equipment building to benefit from a high speed connection.

Few people actually get a speed better than the basic 3 meg, lowest cost service.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:32 pm

I had 10Mbits for awhile with the $999 plan, and lost it after three months (previous location in Riberas last year). It settled at 5Mbits, so I downgraded to the $599 plan.

Last November I moved, kept the same number, had new phone wiring put it (no charge by TelMex when they came to hook up the phone), and am maintaining 5Mbits.

Now something I help computer customers with is setting them up with the $999 plan, making sure they get at least 5Mbits, then calling in to downgrade them to the $599 plan so they keep the speed they are getting. No one has ever been refused... the OP musta been talking to someone with a quota. In their agreement for their plans, they state quite clearly you can go up or down anytime, no charge.

With the use of DSL extenders here, I think one would have to live pretty far away from the concrete slabs before noticing a drop due to distance.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Sadly Mike, some people I know who belong to the LCS computer club have done as you suggested and when they downgraded from the $999 package to the $599 package, their speeds have been decreased to much less than 5.

I'm lucky and since last May, my $599 package has been giving me great results (Oh I live 1.2 Km from Telmex)

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? 2659153648
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Pete, I assume the DSL signal is coming from the Central Office? I'm guessing their CO is in Riberas? I don't think Telmex has 2 @ Lakeside, correct?

I think the biggest problem at Lakeside is that the outside plant serving most communities around the Lake has not been properly installed or not upgraded over the past 30 years. Since most developments are within 5km from central office, all should receive relatively good DSL sevice.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Jim: What I understand is that one must be close to his DSLAM card. That is where his DSL (Telmex) telephone line connects him to the internet. Shown below is a definition thereof:
A digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM, often pronounced dee-slam) is a network device, often located in the telephone exchanges of the telecommunications operators. It connects multiple customer digital subscriber line (DSL) interfaces to a high-speed digital communications channel using multiplexing techniques

Sadly I don't know where the DSLAM cards are located. I believe mine is 1.2 Km away at the Ajijic Telmex office. I understand they are also located in other areas like perhaps San Antonio, Chapala, Joco etc. I wish I could be more detailed in my answer.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 pm

It is also my understanding that a central office can't offer DSL, unless required services are available @ that location, which may be the reason, Riberas provides DSL, and the Ajijic office does not, or maybe both do.

Rolly is correct, 5km for distribution, and in fairness to all, we all are located within 5 km from Telmex Central Office. The main reason our service varies, is the delivery system, Outside Plant, also know as Ariel wires pole to pole, underground or otherwise! Slim has spent nothing for decades to upgrade and improve the distribution network, and many fracs, the older ones, experience voice static issues during the rainy season....compounds DSL issues!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:23 pm

The other thing to note is that you need to know the distance to the DSLAM in true "wire" distance. Depending on the routing of the phone lines and trunk cables, it is possible your "line length" may be much greater than the LOS distance. The Telmex guys should have a piece of test equipment that can measure this for you.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:35 pm

gringoman wrote:Recently moved into a new rental property which has the $999 plan. Was told by Telmex that I could not downgrade to the $599 plan. They only allow upgrades! Anyone tried downgrading plans with any success?

Call your rental agent. She will get this downgraded, no problema.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:29 pm

I have the 599 plan as well. I've been considering downgrading it as I've heard I won't lose any speed and the extra money would be very helpful. I should also say that I've been having some problems recently with telmex when using a VPN. I get good speed without it, but whenever I engage my VPN my speed drops to almost nothing. At first I thought it was Telmex. I spent a couple hours on the phone with a tech going through my computer and we finally figured it was the VPN. I then talked to my VPN and they informed me that it was in fact my ISP, because they tend to, and I'm quoting 'overcrowd their international network'. Now I've gone from using my VPN at all times, to just using it when I absolutely have to, which sucks, because part of my reason for having it was general security. Not sure what to do.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Tony_In_Mexico wrote:I have the 599 plan as well. I've been considering downgrading it as I've heard I won't lose any speed and the extra money would be very helpful. I should also say that I've been having some problems recently with telmex when using a VPN. I get good speed without it, but whenever I engage my VPN my speed drops to almost nothing. At first I thought it was Telmex. I spent a couple hours on the phone with a tech going through my computer and we finally figured it was the VPN. I then talked to my VPN and they informed me that it was in fact my ISP, because they tend to, and I'm quoting 'overcrowd their international network'. Now I've gone from using my VPN at all times, to just using it when I absolutely have to, which sucks, because part of my reason for having it was general security. Not sure what to do.
It's the VPN service. Experiment with someone else, if you can.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Jim: What I understand is that one must be close to his DSLAM card. That is where his DSL (Telmex) telephone line connects him to the internet. Shown below is a definition thereof:
A digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM, often pronounced dee-slam) is a network device, often located in the telephone exchanges of the telecommunications operators. It connects multiple customer digital subscriber line (DSL) interfaces to a high-speed digital communications channel using multiplexing techniques

Sadly I don't know where the DSLAM cards are located. I believe mine is 1.2 Km away at the Ajijic Telmex office. I understand they are also located in other areas like perhaps San Antonio, Chapala, Joco etc. I wish I could be more detailed in my answer.
The concrete slab/cabinet/node in your neighbourhood, that house the telephone cards, also houses the cards that aggregate the subcriber lines; these are also often extenders, and while the terminology may be mind-boggling to some, you can be assured that most of us here are not that far from one. Thus you signal will generally be good (assuming no other technicalities).
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Sadly Mike, some people I know who belong to the LCS computer club have done as you suggested and when they downgraded from the $999 package to the $599 package, their speeds have been decreased to much less than 5.

I'm lucky and since last May, my $599 package has been giving me great results (Oh I live 1.2 Km from Telmex)

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? 2659153648
Yes, I'm sure it happens. All I know is when contacting TelMex to do this, one must insist that one retains the service one is currently getting. They cannot argue that the speed may go down because your line is not physically capable of getting it. It is already getting it.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:27 pm

With DSL, I beleive your voice and data flow over the same line into your home. Since all the proper cards,etc. are installed, your bad dsl speed/service is a result of bad connections between your home and the telmex providing location. In the case of Chapala Haciendas for example....they are the oldest frac @ Lakeside, and Telmex has spent NADA to upgrade or solve voice issues, let alone dsl, in over a decade! Telmex must uprade delivery system, point to point!

Ya gotta keep complaining, weekly.....kinda like the jimmy do list! I have static issues on voice calls now, ist time in 7 years, and it ain't even rainin yet! My ist call every Monday morning is to Telmex! Dead Horse
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringoman Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks everyone. Went to Telmex today. Downgraded. Took 5 minutes.

gringoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:45 pm

gringoman wrote:Thanks everyone. Went to Telmex today. Downgraded. Took 5 minutes.

Is it possible to do that over the phone, for those of us who would find it difficult to get to Telmex?

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Yes, it is. Dial 01-800-123-2222, and keep punching "1" until a real person comes on the line.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm guessing many of you are motivated to downgrade your Telmex package, because they are not giving you the speed you thought you would get. Rather you are presently getting the speed you would get if you paid at one level lower. And you figure, why not downgrade to the package that gives you the speed you are getting. Well guess what? many who were paying for 10 Megs which costs $999 per month but were only getting 5 Megs thought if they downgraded their package to $599 that they would continue to get the same speed, the speed they thought was promised to them.

Guess what? Once they started paying for the "Hasta" 5 Meg package, they started getting less than 3 megs, not the 5 they were getting.

So before downgrading, remember to check your speed several times using say www.speedtest.net Now if you are lucky, after the downgrade when you check your speed, you will be getting what you are now paying for. Sadly quite a few folks at the LCS computer club who were say paying $999 and not getting 10 but 5 Megs down discovered that when they downgraded to the $599 up to 5 Meg internet speed, that there speed was also reduced to say not the "Hasta" 5 but to 2 or 3 megs down. Now Telmex couldn't say they couldn't get 5 megs there and even though the client argued, he was not given the 5 he was getting and is now paying for.

Not everyone has bad luck. I live very close to the Ajijic Telmex office and pay for the middle package ($599 Pesos) and get:
Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? 2665208142

I feel very lucky to get more than the speed promised. I wish you all luck getting the speed you are paying for. Oh remember the speed says "hasta" say 5 megs. The trouble is that HASTA in English translates to "UP TO" say 5 Megs; not that you will be getting the 5 Megs.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by chelseagirls Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm

I shudder to think what we would get if we downgraded! I'm on the 999 peso plan now Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? 374777

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? 2665332992

chelseagirls

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Has anyone downgraded a Telmex plan? 2665346883

I am paying 599 Blackeye
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Gosh with the above speeds I would drop to $599 and with Jim to the lowest speeds and see what I would get. I didn't realize those paying $999 & $599 were getting speeds that slow. So maybe, I should have posted check with someone like Mike (helperguy) before downgrading.

Sorry about being so wrong. :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next