INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawaii

+9
viajero
lilikoi
brigitte
hkrause
confused
manymoonsago
sparks
Trailrunner
kipissippi
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hawaii Empty Hawaii

Post by kipissippi Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Anyone here ever live on the Big Island?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Hawaii Empty Re: Hawaii

Post by Trailrunner Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 pm

No, but I was born and raised on Oahu. Why?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Trail is the Boss ... but I've been to them all. Got money ... they are all very pretty
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat May 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Trailrunner wrote:No, but I was born and raised on Oahu. Why?

We were watching a property show featuring the Big Island and it looked liked it was getting pretty competitive retirement wise. Some decently priced properties.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 am

My perspective comes from being part of an old Hawaiian (by bloodline) family. The Big Island is gorgeous, so incredibly varied, and deeply spiritual in the old ways. But, caveat emptor: Kilauea is responsible for significant air pollution (volcanic ash). In many areas, outsiders are not as welcome as the tourist and realty industries would have you think. Land titles throughout Hawaii are often clouded because of legal complications arising from the manner in which the government was overthrown back in the 1890's.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by confused Sun May 05, 2013 5:12 am

I lived there for 2.5 years, back in the 80s. There are many parts of the island where realestate is cheap. There is 1/2 of the island where it rains and rains all the times. The bugs are HUGE! Spiders the size of the palm of your hand. The other side of the island is dry and you can get snow on the highest elevations. You can drive around the island in a day, easily. Meat and fish are not too expensive, and a lot of fruit grows there.... but you need to know where to get it. Otherwise groceries are really, really expensive. The salt water is hard on cars. There is an active volcano and I have seen entire towns wiped out by lava. Like anywhere, you need to go and rent before buying to see if you fit in. Lots of personal property crime. Absolutely beautiful, though. And great food.

confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 am

Yep. What they said!
The only thing I'd add is, there have been many slick land scams selling "property" sight unseen to people far away. Because of Kilauea (and Kilauea Iki?) new land is being formed daily by the lava flows and these lava beds are what are being sold as "good deals". Which is fine, if you don't want a road into your house, a yard or garden, or underground plumbing and utilities. . .
Kip, check with ExHawaiian on TOB as, she has returned to the Big Island from here and can give you good insight. The first thing she wrote back was "Hilo is expensive!"
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sun May 05, 2013 9:16 am

Would recommend you get involved in some discussion forums there for realistic input from real folks. Try this place:

http://www.konaforum.com/

They have separate sections for talking about real estate, and another about relocating to Hawaii. Lots of good info!

If you go there, even to visit for a bit, good idea to get a Safeway discount card, which can help quite a bit with the cost of groceries. We did that on one of the other islands... I assume it's the same on the BI.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 am

BTW, a real estate guy who seems to be pretty well respected by locals is Robert Ferrari. Check his website and get a copy of his "West Hawaii" newsletter for some good info:

http://www.ferraripacificrealty.com/default.aspx
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks guys!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am

Which part of the big Island are you interested in? The Hilo side or the Kona side? They are two different worlds.

There is nothing inexpensive about either side although Hilo used to be somewhat cheaper but very wet had lots of very religious people who loved sticking their noses in your life, just what you need!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 am

Hal used to live on the Kona coast... eons ago...but he liked that side best.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 pm

hkrause wrote:Would recommend you get involved in some discussion forums there for realistic input from real folks. Try this place:

http://www.konaforum.com/

They have separate sections for talking about real estate, and another about relocating to Hawaii. Lots of good info!

If you go there, even to visit for a bit, good idea to get a Safeway discount card, which can help quite a bit with the cost of groceries. We did that on one of the other islands... I assume it's the same on the BI.

Heather

Thanks Heather.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lilikoi Fri May 10, 2013 2:39 am

I lived on the Big Island in 2001-2002. First, I lived in Kona. Definitely more expensive than the Hilo Side. We did an incredible amount of long-term housesitting which sometimes allowed us to get paid a little. Some of it was work trade, but kept our expenses down so that we didn't have to go into our savings. That was a good way in which we got in on it so we could discover what and where we wanted to buy. My son bought in Hawaiian acres, people call it "the acres". In the years mentioned land was cheap. The building permits can be complicated and cumbersome. We bought in a strictor section of the Hilo side, but never built due to the restrictions you have to deal with in those kind of communities. A few years later we quadrupled the money reselling the land.
Many people state that Hawaii is expensive. I never had so much free fruit in my life, the farm markets were good, and we always bought fish directly off the boats on the side of the road. We supplemented that with the many health food stores. Yes, the food chain stores are the most expensive. But we rarely shopped there.
We bought a very new Wrangler jeep for only 5K when we first arrived. When people bail from the island, they usually don't ship their vehicles, so if you keep eyes open, you can usually find good deals.
It was a fabulous time, my X still lives there, he'll never leave and I don't blame him. If you want to get in on the less expensive options, it is Hilo side off grid do-it-yourself, and keep the food supply natural.

Last edited by lilikoi on Fri May 10, 2013 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
lilikoi
lilikoi

Humor : Radical

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks, but after checking all of the available info... having as many critters as we do makes it pretty much undoable.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am

Kip, ever since I've "C.com met" you you were coming to Mexico, and that was 10 years ago. What happened? Where are you now? Are you moving to Hawaii now?

Yes, they have rabies quarantine for 180 days. I once had to do it with one of my dogs way back then, it was HELL!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 am

Kip has horses as well, a little more difficult and costly to move than chihuahuas and cats.

We have a French saying that says that the most enjoyable part of a brothel is the stairs...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 am

brigitte wrote:

We have a French saying that says that the most enjoyable part of a brothel is the stairs...
What does that allude to Brigitte?the anticipation?

Last edited by viajero on Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 am

Yes and then reality hits you when you get there...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Kip, ever since I've "C.com met" you you were coming to Mexico, and that was 10 years ago. What happened? Where are you now? Are you moving to Hawaii now?

Yes, they have rabies quarantine for 180 days. I once had to do it with one of my dogs way back then, it was HELL!

Yup...that was the plan. If we'd had a house in town and no big critters... we may have made it. Our cash is tied up in our 50 ac horse farm. Until it sells and this area is looking better all the time...Hal can't retire. Originally I though I could sell it with projects started and an explanation of how they were to be completed to look WOW! Very Happy Wrong. I know now that the majority of people cannot visualize .... and most of them aren't dumb like me and take on huge projects. Most of the projects are completed.. or almost. I'm hoping another 60 days will do it. No sense in advertising when things aren't perfect... in this price range people don't want projects. So back to the grind stone. Beer
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Our critters are our family. The logical thing to do would be to cut down on the number. So much for logic. We love them all. 15 horses (most of which I was their for their births) 7 dogs... four of which were born here and three were rescued from dire situations... and I could never abandon them. The cats would probably be OK with someone else... but we love them.

So.... moving this mess to Mexico would be a nightmare. Looks like it will be Florida...that's just a 12 hour drive..four trips... horse farms are cheap and the fruit and seafood is great. Still there's the damned humidity, but with any luck we can find decent house sitters so we can stay in Mexico for longer periods of time. Maybe when we're older....
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Kip, I can't figure out why you want to leave where you are. It sounds like an ideal life. I'd LOVE to have a 50 acre horse farm. Why do you want to move?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 pm

If it is any consolation, we took a number of American President Lines ocean liners with a stop in Hawaii returning to or from the Orient and never had a passenger fall overboard to my knowledge!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofburros Sat May 11, 2013 8:45 am

Trailrunner wrote:Kip, ever since I've "C.com met" you you were coming to Mexico, and that was 10 years ago. What happened? Where are you now? Are you moving to Hawaii now?

Just so you know, Hawai'i has had a 5 day quarantine programme for years now....

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

motherofburros

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat May 11, 2013 8:58 am

That is excellent news! Thanks for posting. And, for the record, it was 120 days not 180 as stated. It was awful for both of us.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next