INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TOWER vs. LAPTOP

+10
Axixic
ferret
juanrey
Rolly
CheenaGringo
CanuckBob
sparks
Charliej
papa chango
Jim W
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

TOWER vs. LAPTOP - Page 2 Empty Re: TOWER vs. LAPTOP

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

HelperGuy wrote:My only problem with AIOs is the repair difficulties. Most of them are designed like towers used to: almost impossible to get parts replaced unless you are factory-trained.

My last six computers including an early Compaq Centrino equipped tablet that is ancient never broke. I don't buy cheap ones if that is the difference. I have a manual that tells you how to take it apart and replace pieces and add cards and memory. I replace hard drives before
they fail usually with an upgrade and that's about it maint wise. Buy a better computer than the bottom end ones.
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 am

Ok my $.02, if you will... First, you need to decide what "you" want to use it for. Second, you need to be comparing apples to apples. Comparing an older tower to a newer laptop is not a fare comparison. Only after you have done these two things will you be able to decide what works best for you. When comparing computers, you need to be comparing computers of the same age. Even comparing computers that are only 1 year apart is not a good comparison. As someone already pointed out, towers will always cost less than laptops. So if money is you #1 concern than I would recommend a tower. If mobility is your #1 concern than a smart phone would be the choice. But obviously there are any number of choices in between... If you have the extra money, don't need the processing power of a tower (most are in this boat), and like the maneuverability option. Than a laptop would probably be my recommendation. I personally have (for my personal use) two towers, two laptops, one netbook, a tablet, and two smart phones (only one smart phone is active on cellular). What one I use, depends on what I need to do.
Jim W, it sounds like your best option for your situation would ba a laptop (basic E-mail and web surfing etc.) you might also look into the netbooks if you are not in need of a CD/DVD on your device.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 am

Rolly wrote: I went the laptop route for several reasons, not the least of which is it can come into México duty free.
Rolly, would you be so kind as to elaborate on this for me? I asked a question a while ago but it got no response. I am curious what constitutes a computer that you have to pay duty on. I.E. smart phone, laptop, netbook, smart TV’s, etc. Can you also give references? Not that I don’t trust you and your expertise, just fact checking. And what if my TV is my computer monitor. Does duty need to be paid on that? Also, do you know if I have an empty case, spare mother board, power supply, etc. all older than three years. Would duty need to be paid on that? Thanks in advance.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon May 06, 2013 1:10 pm

If you are someone who likes to tinker with computers and change the hardware then by all means yes, keep the desktop. It is cheaper to upgrade RAM, Hard drive and even CPU. Most modern applications require more RAM than anything else.

We prefer portability. We have 2 laptops and 2 tablets and 2 smartphones.

In our home portability wins hands down.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm

tictoc wrote:
Rolly wrote: I went the laptop route for several reasons, not the least of which is it can come into México duty free.
Rolly, would you be so kind as to elaborate on this for me? I asked a question a while ago but it got no response. I am curious what constitutes a computer that you have to pay duty on. I.E. smart phone, laptop, netbook, smart TV’s, etc. Can you also give references? Not that I don’t trust you and your expertise, just fact checking. And what if my TV is my computer monitor. Does duty need to be paid on that? Also, do you know if I have an empty case, spare mother board, power supply, etc. all older than three years. Would duty need to be paid on that? Thanks in advance.
I've brought in quite a few. As long as your stuff looks like your personal gear, no one will hassle you. It's when you appear to be "importing" goods for resale that the problem arises. I brought in a small trailer and a roofrack full of stuff; the whole back seat of the Impala was taken up by my Sony HiDef tube TV... weighed 200 pounds (now at Carlos's Consignment). I had stereo gear, receivers and tuners, several sets of speakers of different sizes, my Canon digital camera, a Sony video cam, a laptop and two tower computers... plus all kinds of household stuff.

Aduana took a quick look, knew it was personal stuff, and sent me on my way. If I were to bring in say, two new boxed laptops or 20 paperbacks with the same title, that would raise a little more interest.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 pm

I use a laptop for travel. I dislike the smaller, crowded keys, though I am glad to have it. I have a Google Nexus 7 that I rarely use, because I'm not into apps, and typing emails on a virtual keyboard slays me.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2