INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OBAMA CARE

+6
Flamingo
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
itsme
David
Jim W
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OBAMA CARE - Page 2 Empty Re: OBAMA CARE

Post by slainte39 Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Flamingo wrote:I know this isn't what some people want to hear, but an interesting read:
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/05/24/2058231/how-california-is-debunking-the-gops-obamacare-talking-points/

Why would some people not want to hear it? It sounds like good news no matter what your first opinion was of the ACA.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sat May 25, 2013 11:26 am

Jim W wrote:
itsme wrote:Penalty right now is $600.00, this will be increased after the election to $900.00. Insurance must cover eveything including maternity, pre-natal, pediatric, orthodontic, etc. LOL, like the seniors really need that.

Ex-pats can avoid having to comply if they are permanently living out of country. This means for 330 days/year. One is allowed in the states for 35 days/year. IRS may check passport info for this? They do everything else.

itsme, have they published minimum income levels, for compliance....one spouse on SS & Medicare, the other not on either, can't possibly pay for insurance, let alone penalty. Just Wunderin?

Your home state of AZ is in a deadlock between the Governor and Legislature over expansion of AZ's medicare plan. It's boiled down to a pissing contest over who is the most rightwing. Brewer is an idiot, but realizes AZ needs to expand Medicare (which will probably help your wife qualify for a subsidy under ACA). If AZ doesn't expand Medicare, it will ALSO lose tons of federal money that goes to hospitals, etc. The AZ legislature is so far standing firm against expansion....just because it's a way to 'reject' Obama again, for any reason.

The Legislature is still in session so you can contact local representatives and urge them to get the expansion done.

Other conservative states have expanded Medicare, reluctantly because it's the SMART thing to do. AZ lags.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat May 25, 2013 11:30 am

Sideways wrote:
Jim W wrote:
itsme wrote:Penalty right now is $600.00, this will be increased after the election to $900.00. Insurance must cover eveything including maternity, pre-natal, pediatric, orthodontic, etc. LOL, like the seniors really need that.

Ex-pats can avoid having to comply if they are permanently living out of country. This means for 330 days/year. One is allowed in the states for 35 days/year. IRS may check passport info for this? They do everything else.

itsme, have they published minimum income levels, for compliance....one spouse on SS & Medicare, the other not on either, can't possibly pay for insurance, let alone penalty. Just Wunderin?

Your home state of AZ is in a deadlock between the Governor and Legislature over expansion of AZ's medicare plan. It's boiled down to a fight of who is the most rightwing. Brewer is an idiot, but realizes AZ needs to expand medicare (which will probably help your wife qualify and or get a subsidy under ACA). If AZ doesn't expand medicare, it will ALSO lose tons of federal money that goes to hospitals, etc. The AZ legislature is so far standing firm against expansion....just because it's a way to 'reject' Obama again, for any reason.

The Legislature is in session a few more weeks; NOW is the time for you and your wife to contact your representative and get the expansion done.

Thank You Sideways, will do. Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 pm

[quote="Sideways
Your home state of AZ is in a deadlock between the Governor and Legislature over expansion of AZ's medicare plan.[/quote]
They're arguing over MedicAID not Medicare. States have no voice in Medicare. In Medicaid they do. Some such as Mass. and Oregon have opted out and negotiated deals with the FED to take the Medicaid $ to help fund their state medical program.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sun May 26, 2013 8:11 am

Sorry! Forgive my brain fart; meant Medicaid but wrote Medicare.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 am

Medicare is FREE.

You pay $ 104. USD a month for Part B with a $ 147. Deductible. See below.

What Part B covers

Medicare covers services (like lab tests, surgeries, and doctor visits) and supplies (like wheelchairs and walkers) considered medically necessary to treat a disease or condition.

If you're in a Medicare Advantage Plan or other Medicare plan, you may have different rules, but your plan must give you at least the same coverage as Original Medicare. Some services may only be covered in certain settings or for patients with certain conditions.

Part B covers 2 types of services
Medically necessary services: Services or supplies that are needed to diagnose or treat your medical condition and that meet accepted standards of medical practice.
Preventive services: Health care to prevent illness (like the flu) or detect it at an early stage, when treatment is most likely to work best.
You pay nothing for most preventive services if you get the services from a health care provider who accepts assignment.

Part B covers things like:
Clinical research
Ambulance services
Durable medical equipment
Mental health
Inpatient
Outpatient
Partial hospitalization
Getting a second opinion before surgery
Limited outpatient prescription drugs

You still need a PD (Prescription Drug Plan) or better still a MAPD (Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan). It covers all costs not covered by Medicare and Part B, with a $ 0 Monthly Premium on up. I will get this in NC. The Humana Gold Plus Plan has a $ 0 Monthly Pemium.

Jim - see this: www.q1medicare.com
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Sun May 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Another angle on this that may be of interest if you or your spouse are under 65 AND have a low taxable income (e.g. from living off of investments or the like) is that (provided you choose to live in a U.S. State that has signed on to the Medicaid expansion) you may very well be eligible for Medicaid. There is no means (asset) testing for Medicaid under Obamacare.

You can use this calculator to check eligibility for either subsidies or Medicaid:

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/healthpolicy/calculator/

All of this is strong incentive to keep your taxable income low if you plan on remaining U.S. based or eventually returning there. For a couple living off of assets and spending, say 24-30K a year actual taxable income (due to very low capital gains rates) is most likely going to be in the 8-13K a year range, which means you get free Medicaid coverage until you hit age 65, at which time the normal means testing kicks in (but you'd be eligible for Medicare, of course).

It's a screwy system NOB and I think it's due for further implosion, but you might as well know how to game it if you need to.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 26, 2013 3:40 pm

coffeeguy wrote:Another angle on this that may be of interest if you or your spouse are under 65 AND have a low taxable income (e.g. from living off of investments or the like) is that (provided you choose to live in a U.S. State that has signed on to the Medicaid expansion) you may very well be eligible for Medicaid. There is no means (asset) testing for Medicaid under Obamacare.

You can use this calculator to check eligibility for either subsidies or Medicaid:

All of this is strong incentive to keep your taxable income low if you plan on remaining U.S. based or eventually returning there. For a couple living off of assets and spending, say 24-30K a year actual taxable income (due to very low capital gains rates) is most likely going to be in the 8-13K a year range, which means you get free Medicaid coverage until you hit age 65, at which time the normal means testing kicks in (but you'd be eligible for Medicare, of course).

It's a screwy system NOB and I think it's due for further implosion, but you might as well know how to game it if you need to.

"SCREWY" is an understatement coffeyguy. Older ....like us, LOL, couples are getting divorced NOB, because their combined SS disqualifies them from certain handout programs like foodstamps, medical coverages!

My golfing buddy ended up divorced after 50 years of marriage. He (and wife) owned a farm, they worked their whole life paid it off, then wife fell ill, and required attention not covered thru medicare. The guvmint position was, wife owned 50% of home, and therefore coverage would not begin until her 50% was spent on care, then she would receive coverage. So they got a divorce as the other option put him in debt and he couldn't make the payments.

I Started to call BS, as anything is possible in the good ole USA!?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Jim W wrote:
coffeeguy wrote:Another angle on this that may be of interest if you or your spouse are under 65 AND have a low taxable income (e.g. from living off of investments or the like) is that (provided you choose to live in a U.S. State that has signed on to the Medicaid expansion) you may very well be eligible for Medicaid. There is no means (asset) testing for Medicaid under Obamacare.

"SCREWY" is an understatement coffeyguy. Older ....like us, LOL, couples are getting divorced NOB, because their combined SS disqualifies them from certain handout programs like foodstamps, medical coverages!

My golfing buddy ended up divorced after 50 years of marriage. He (and wife) owned a farm, they worked their whole life paid it off, then wife fell ill, and required attention not covered thru medicare. The guvmint position was, wife owned 50% of home, and therefore coverage would not begin until her 50% was spent on care, then she would receive coverage. So they got a divorce as the other option put him in debt and he couldn't make the payments.

I Started to call BS, as anything is possible in the good ole USA!?

Think that's a whopper. The jointly held home is protected as long as there's a spouse in it, sometimes it's protected if other family members live in it.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon May 27, 2013 10:00 am

Could it be that golf was the culprit in the divorce, and not health care.
Aw no, that could never be....... lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 pm

I suspect some of this horse pucky is coming from the Tea Party meeting held about a week ago where they claimed they had important information for Expats concerning Medicare. I know this comes as a shock, but what they said wasn't quite true.

Just the facts ma'am from my legal advisor: expatriates living outside of the U.S. are EXEMPT from even being on the Comprehensive Health Bill program. No one can dictate the time you can be in the U.S. and make you do anything. You are not required to purchase Part B although if you were returning to the U.S., you should OR purchase another insurance supplement (does not have to be Medicare’s).
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon May 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Flamingo wrote:I suspect some of this horse pucky is coming from the Tea Party meeting held about a week ago where they claimed they had important information for Expats concerning Medicare. I know this comes as a shock, but what they said wasn't quite true.

Just the facts ma'am from my legal advisor: expatriates living outside of the U.S. are EXEMPT from even being on the Comprehensive Health Bill program. No one can dictate the time you can be in the U.S. and make you do anything. You are not required to purchase Part B although if you were returning to the U.S., you should OR purchase another insurance supplement (does not have to be Medicare’s).

You are never required to purchase PART B, but if you have half a brain you will, to cover what Medicare does not cover. Then you need an MAPD plan to cover the gaps in those two.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 pm

johninajijic wrote:Medicare is FREE.

You pay $ 104. USD a month for Part B with a $ 147. Deductible. See below.

What Part B covers

Medicare covers services (like lab tests, surgeries, and doctor visits) and supplies (like wheelchairs and walkers) considered medically necessary to treat a disease or condition.

If you're in a Medicare Advantage Plan or other Medicare plan, you may have different rules, but your plan must give you at least the same coverage as Original Medicare. Some services may only be covered in certain settings or for patients with certain conditions.

Part B covers 2 types of services
Medically necessary services: Services or supplies that are needed to diagnose or treat your medical condition and that meet accepted standards of medical practice.
Preventive services: Health care to prevent illness (like the flu) or detect it at an early stage, when treatment is most likely to work best.
You pay nothing for most preventive services if you get the services from a health care provider who accepts assignment.

Part B covers things like:
Clinical research
Ambulance services
Durable medical equipment
Mental health
Inpatient
Outpatient
Partial hospitalization
Getting a second opinion before surgery
Limited outpatient prescription drugs

You still need a PD (Prescription Drug Plan) or better still a MAPD (Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan). It covers all costs not covered by Medicare and Part B, with a $ 0 Monthly Premium on up. I will get this in NC. The Humana Gold Plus Plan has a $ 0 Monthly Pemium.

Jim - see this: www.q1medicare.com

Thanks John, I use Health Net and there is no monthly premium, includes Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan. I am among the lucky approaching 66 that spends less than $50.00 per year for my BP meds...Lisinopril. Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Lisinopril generic at Famacia Guadalajara: $48 Pesos.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 pm

David wrote:Lisinopril generic at Famacia Guadalajara: $48 Pesos.

David, I am down to 5mg per day, so I take approx 6 pkgs per year.....cut the 10mg in half.....less than 300 pesos per year. Beer Twisted Evil
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Que bueno!
David
David
Share Holder