INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pemex Scam

+10
cypress
hockables
Playaboy
Lady Otter Latté
Flamingo
gringomojado
JayBear
simpsca
Intercasa
Kiri
14 posters

Go down

Pemex Scam Empty Pemex Scam

Post by Kiri Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 am

Pemex Scam

I was filling up my usual 200 pesos "green" at the Pemex on the main highway to Guad yesterday. The attendant placed the hose into the car and programmed 200 into the pump. In a very short time he came to collect his money. I looked at the pump display and noticed that the display was flashing (not normal) and that the amount of liters "seemed" low based on some mental arithmetic; only about 16 liters. I also noticed that the fuel gauge did not move at all after I started the engine. I left the pump hoping the gauge would register movement in the sender unit to show the fill, but the fuel gauge did not move. I suspected that my fuel gauge might be faulty. I immediately went back to the pump and asked the attendant the exact cost for a liter of gas, and confirmed what was seen on the pump. The attendant seemed somewhat nervous.  I drove off on the highway and decided to return to Pemex on the next "Retorno", since something was "wrong".

I approached the attendant and told him that I suspected that the pump must be faulty, since it did not dispense any gasoline. He called his "boss". I explained the situation to the "boss" and also mentioned that there should be over 17 liters of gas based on the price per liter, not the 16 plus shown on the display. He suggested that I wait 5 minutes, as he would check the security camera and correlate the time stamps to the pump delivery. About 10 minutes later he came back and confirmed my suspicions, I did not receive any gasoline. He had me pull up to the pump and had me watch him place the 200 pesos of gasoline into the tank. He then watched my fuel gauge move as I started the car. I told him what I thought had happened. The hose from the "green" side of the pump was placed into the tank, however the attendant programmed the 200 pesos to the "red" side of the pump. Thus the flashing display when the hose was not moved from the pump! He shook my hand and I thanked him and drove off with my 200 pesos of gasoline.

The moral of the story is to confirm how many liters of gasoline you expect to receive based on the price paid, and watch and listen very carefully.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Pemex Scam Empty Re: Pemex Scam

Post by Intercasa Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 am

Where was this?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

Intercasa wrote:Where was this?
The Pemex just as you turn off the Libermento ramp to get on the main highway to Guad.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am

There was a problem at the Pemex in west Ajijic two days ago.  I asked for 200 pesos of Magna, the attendant showed me the flashing display on the pump which was out of order and said he would get it from the other side.  He brought a nozle around from the other side and I couldn't see the amount.  I paid him the 200 pesos I asked for but my fuel gage did register about where it should have.  I could have been shorted a little.  But I wonder what is going on at Pemex - they are the only gasoline company we gave. 

Anyone who knows a station that is not having problems please post where it is.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 am

I use the Pemex in west Ajijic (the one with the Oxxo) and I have never had a problem in the 2 years I've used them. I go fairly often, as I like to get 200 p. at a time and that gives me the opportunity to get the windshield cleaned. Since I tip for this, they recognize me and are always very nice.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 am

Once there I spent 120 pesos to fill my moto, it was new so I thought tank was super big but was a scam.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Besides not patronizing PEMEX the only advice I can give is fill "fullear" the tank "LLeno" every time and watch the gage peg. They have been scamming for years. The PEMEX station by "Chente" Fernandez' place used to be honest.
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 pm

If you get out of the car and appear to we watching the whole operation, they are less likely to try to pull this scam. A big pain I know.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Now that you mention it, Flamingo, I have noticed people standing at the back of their cars watching the gas pump gauge.
I do watch my gauge in the car when I start up and have never noticed anything less than what I expected for where the gauge was and how many pesos I put in. I use the Pemex on the liberimento near Walmart.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 pm

How do you not patronize Pemex if you have a car.  They are the only gas company in Mexico.  People must be accusing them of cheating.  This week when I got gas the attendant showed me he zeroed out the prior total and gave me a printed receipt.  I didn't even know they could do that.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:26 pm

I had a problem with a Pemex shorting me fuel.  I filed a complaint with Profeco (?).  The attendent advised me to always order my fuel in 20 liter increments.  She told me to never order fuel by the peso or ask them to fill it up.  That is where they can play games with the pumps.  When Profeco checks the fuel dispensers for accuracy they use 20 liter containers.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 pm

u should hand them fellas one of those phoney 500 pesos...
don't get mad....................get even.......................snork
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 pm

simpsca wrote:How do you not patronize Pemex if you have a car.  They are the only gas company in Mexico.  People must be accusing them of cheating.  This week when I got gas the attendant showed me he zeroed out the prior total and gave me a printed receipt.  I didn't even know they could do that.
I fill my bike's tires at the "Pinchazo". Heck with the PEMEX monopoly, but hey the oil companies crew you anywhere!
Now, we have to install wind turbines.
Still though, if you get the tank filled and (groan) get out as said, you avoid problems. Heck you are gonna need the gas anyway!

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh, if you tip the attendant even though you don't need water and air, and they get to know you, they will be less likely to crew you!

gm

PS
They crew nationals as well as "gringos" so no need to think discrimination!
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I like to go to the Pemex.... snork
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 am

Nothing you say indicates it was a scam. I filled up there the same day and the hose/pump on my side wasn't working so he brought the hose from the other side. So I did the obvious and walked over to the other side and watched the meter and I got the correct amount. I don't know why people don't fill up rather than asking for a specific amount. I know within a few liters how much my tank will take from reading my car's guage. 

simpsca wrote:There was a problem at the Pemex in west Ajijic two days ago.  I asked for 200 pesos of Magna, the attendant showed me the flashing display on the pump which was out of order and said he would get it from the other side.  He brought a nozle around from the other side and I couldn't see the amount.  I paid him the 200 pesos I asked for but my fuel gage did register about where it should have.  I could have been shorted a little.  But I wonder what is going on at Pemex - they are the only gasoline company we gave. 

Anyone who knows a station that is not having problems please post where it is.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 am

cypress wrote: I don't know why people don't fill up rather than asking for a specific amount. I know within a few liters how much my tank will take from reading my car's guage. 

I usually fill up but sometimes people buy according to the amount of money they are carrying.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Some people who don't fill up but ask for a specific amount tell me they do this because they are less likely to get scammed. I could never make sense of that.

slainte39 wrote:
cypress wrote: I don't know why people don't fill up rather than asking for a specific amount. I know within a few liters how much my tank will take from reading my car's guage. 

I usually fill up but sometimes people buy according to the amount of money they are carrying.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

I have been scamed, normally @ Pemex entering Tepic.  Usually asked for fillup, went to restroom, returned, and the meter showed 200 pesos, I said again please fill up.   After this happened on 3 consecutive trips, I paid attention, saw the pump showed 200 pesos, realized they pumped in NADA, yet my fishing group ended up paying more getting to Tepic, than we did travelling from there to the Lake and returning to GDL.  My stupidity, and we haven't purchased gas there in 4 years.Blackeye
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:28 pm

In Guadalajara it's fairly easy to spot the stations aren't giving "litros de a litro" they're the ones with few or no customers.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:07 pm

i have 2 tanks on the truck and ask for 200x2 and get it. i know how much they hold roughly and can see it when i look at the gauges after fill. the moto holds 3 1/2 gals and has gone up to about 80p for a fill of premium[7 years ago it was about 50]. that i watch because i don't want a spill. i always tip and as far as i can tell i ain't never been scammed
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 pm

cypress wrote:Some people who don't fill up but ask for a specific amount tell me they do this because they are less likely to get scammed. I could never make sense of that.

I agree with you there....if you fill at about the same reading on your guage everytime, you will get a feel for how many litros it should be.
Always take time to count your change.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down