INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a packet and why don't I have very many

+6
Pedro
Zedinmexico
zenwoodle
espíritu del lago
Lady Otter Latté
Ms.Thang
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is a packet and why don't I have very many Empty What is a packet and why don't I have very many

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:44 pm

I usually only look at these sent and recieved numbers when the Internet is down but I have noticed that sometimes they are in the thousands. When the Internet is down, like now, I only have like 32 and 5.

Sometimes the numbers stay low and the pages load very slowly or not at all. When this happens at length I call telecable and they tell me that they are going to send a commando and usually that miraculously fixes the problem. It happens a lot and sometimes it resolves itself.

By the way when you call Telecable to report this sort of problem the standard response is " there is a falla en su Zona" . If you insist they will send you a commando, whatever that is.

I googled this but I could not make sence of it. I did gather that part of it is something that my server controls and part is my activity and that sometimes servers are stupid about the number of packets allowed.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What is a packet and why don't I have very many Empty Re: What is a packet and why don't I have very many

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 pm

I KNOW you are speaking English but have NO idea what any of those words mean. Well, individually I know what they mean, but the way you have grouped them together makes no sense to me. I await more information from our Techie Overlords.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

What is a packet and why don't I have very many Empty Re: What is a packet and why don't I have very many

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:10 pm

See now that is exactly how I felt when I googled this...it registered as English but that's about all.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:29 pm

LET ME GOOGLE THAT FOR YOU

http://www.theshulers.com/whitepapers/internet_whitepaper/#stack
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:33 pm

I think I need to just forget about packets.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks, but "See now that is exactly how I felt when I googled this..."
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Packets are the "envelopes" in which data is passed around in the telecommunications universe. They are like an envelope in that they have a destination and return address along with a lot of other stuff.
Trust me... you really do not want to know anything more than that. Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:56 pm

I do trust you, Zen, and shall go back to reading about string theory. scratch 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Lol
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:13 pm

I gave up on reading and listened instead.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57603527-1/mama-mia-physics-themed-bohemian-rhapsody-rocks/
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Ok, Thanks Zen. Packets are envelopes of information...Now I know what they are . Simple. Thats all I need to know about that...

But why dont I have any? Well...5. I have 5 right now´.. 5 recieved ones. But you cant do anything with just 5.

In fact, I need to recieve at least 300 or 400 to do anything at all.

Are other people using all of the envelopes? Did I run out of envelopes? Did the machine that sends the envelopes break? Is there a simple answer to why I do not have any envelopes?

Lady O has clearly lost intrest in packets...

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Do I have packets? If I do how come I do not know it? If I don´t, what does it mean? Who/what tells you about the packets and why are they/it not talking to me? Have I done something wrong? I like string theory better. No one even expects me to understand it and not understanding has no impact on my life. But, these packets sound important--and personal? Or am I being overly sensitive?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Do I have packets? If I do how come I do not know it? If I don´t, what does it mean? Who/what tells you about the packets and why are they/it not talking to me? Have I done something wrong? I like string theory better. No one even expects me to understand it and not understanding has no impact on my life. But, these packets sound important--and personal?  Or am I being overly sensitive?
As Zen says it is an envelope with info in it. You can resend a packet for example if one got lost and your computer never got it so it tells the other computer to resend THAT packet and Voila. A whole file is made up of many many packets. It is an organizational thing that helps files get to where they are suppose to be without losing any data or changing any data. Next week we will talk about error correction and what it means to you. :-)

As far as string theory goes there are a few people around here who truly understand it. Most people don't including myself. Never could get through that Stephen Hawkins Universe book. Not enough physics and math is my problem.
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Where are the envelopes? What information? Is this something my computer does by itself or do I have to tell it? What information and to whom does it go? How does Ms. Thang even know how many packets there are or are not? Seriously. I still do not get it.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Funny thread..Surte
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Maybe mordita is in order. .. bytes and bits..
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Ms. Thang and I were hoping so! Beer 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Where are the envelopes? What information? Is this something my computer does by itself or do I have to tell it? What information and to whom does it go? How does Ms. Thang even know how many packets there are or are not? Seriously. I still do not get it.
Stop trying to think of it as something physical like an envelope.  It is a virtual envelope with information in it. You don't need to know how it works
just assume it does. All this goes on behind the scenes as they say.  So a physical envelope uses the post office to mail right?  Now the virtual envelope uses the Internet to get the virtual mail to you on your computer and packets are a small part of how this works.

Better??

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:52 pm

don't let anybody sell ya little packets of white powder
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm

So, anything my computer sends out, it sends in packets of info not individual bits and it is of no concern to me? It makes me no never mind as we used to say. So, why is Ms. Thang worried about her packets?
Gotcha Pedro. No white powder in little packets.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Ms. Thang is worried about her packets because she has none, or only a few and without lots of packets (here it gets tecnical) you can't do stuff. Internet stuff. Anyone who is not worried about their packets must have plenty. Packets , in this regard , are more like money than envelopes.
No one knows where they come from or who is responsible for sending them so there is no one to blame when they do not arrive.

I can see how many packets I have , or don't have, by right clicking on the little computer icon on the bottom right of my screen. Then click on "status" and you will see how many packets you have.

Packets do seem to be quite personal but not physical. It's a tricky relationship.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Okay, you asked, and here is one (of many) answers.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question525.htm

Enjoy. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:01 pm

byte me?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 pm

My posts seem to be disappearing on me, but I'll try again. But straightforward.

The signal you get to your computer is a network connection to the Internet. That signal is broken up into little tiny chunks. These chunks all check each other to make sure the information is going to you and not somewhere else. They also check to make sure ALL the info is going to you.

If anything goes wrong with getting you your Internet, these chunks will fix it so you do. The chunks are called packets.

There are gazillions of them. If the Internet signal was just one long signal, it would never get to you, because it breaks... a lot.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Zen: Praise the lord and pass the peas, I UNDERSTOOD that! Now, I know how much I really do not care.

Pedro: lol! 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next