INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locksmith needed immediately.

+2
Twonk
Grizzy
6 posters

Go down

Locksmith needed immediately. Empty Locksmith needed immediately.

Post by Grizzy Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:40 am

I have to have seven locks re-keyed or replaced asap. Any suggestions for a reliable locksmith who can be trusted to make a house call? I can't remove all and take them in to be redone.
Any guesstimates as to cost?

Also, a long time ago on a board far away there was info about a security expert who would do a house inspection, I can't find it in a search on TOB. He was not selling just advising. If anyone recalls his info I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Locksmith needed immediately. Empty Re: Locksmith needed immediately.

Post by Twonk Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:36 am

Contact Aragon Locksmith at 765-3252. He does an excellent job.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 am

I think his name is Adelberto, at Aragon. He is the best and most reasonably priced. And comes to your place.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Twonk Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 am

His name is Heriberto.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks, Twonk. I do get confused with the "bertos".
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am

I think the security expert is not here any more. He was affiliated with Lakeside Crime when it went by that name. When I had my burglar alarm installed they guy who did it went around the whole house looking for security issues. I already had bars every where. SOSE does burglar alarms if you want to go that direction. I can no longer recommend the guy who did mine.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone. Is Berto's English basic enough? I can use my dictionary and goggle translate but am very specific about what I need done.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:49 pm

I don't know if he speaks English I speak Spanish to him.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 pm

He speaks it well enough.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:54 pm

HelperGuy wrote:He speaks it well enough.
Thanks. Does he have a location also? Either my land line or his is not commecting. I suspect it is mine. I can swing by and talk to him if I can find him.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Sure... Morelos 172.

From Ajijic direction, straight through the lights in Chapala. Corner of the next block on right, across from hardware store. (Two doors down from Farmacia on corner.)
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks again HG.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Sorry for the delay - I had to check. The security consultant is Jim Jensen. I have PM his home phone. He has up to date local knowledge too, having constructed a beautiful home here.

Keep in mind you may also need a welder if you install one of the newer triple bolt/ laser cut key sets. They are pricey at about 600 pesos each. They make a statement that you take security very seriously and they cannot be picked or bumped. Most of the locks I see around here can be picked or bumped in less than six seconds (I cannot do this myself though). The other security upgrade is to really anchor the steel window bars with a steel rods running deep in the masonry. In older homes they pop the bars off with a car jack - cheap and silent.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Sorry for the delay - I had to check. The security consultant is Jim Jensen. I have PM his home phone. He has up to date local knowledge too, having constructed a beautiful home here.

Keep in mind you may also need a welder if you install one of the newer triple bolt/ laser cut key sets. They are pricey at about 600 pesos each. They make a statement that you take security very seriously and they cannot be picked or bumped. Most of the locks I see around here can be picked or bumped in less than six seconds (I cannot do this myself though). The other security upgrade is to really anchor the steel window bars with a steel rods running deep in the masonry. In older homes they pop the bars off with a car jack - cheap and silent.
Thank you, this is exactly the kind of lock and keys I am interested in learning about. Do locksmiths normally work with a certain welder or would I need to find one?
I recall that when my last rental house was broken into the locksmith chaned the deadbolt and welded a box around it so it could not be punched out or popped off.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 pm

A good locksmith will have a welder, glazier and carpenter on call. Phillips is the biggest brand in Mexico and they make a triple bolt. Ask if the locksmith is a dealer for Phillips. He may have a special key cutter that needs codes for the patterns, but he could send it to Guadalajara. Officially, he is not supposed cut the laser or machined keys without proof of purchase - if he gets caught, they will not sell to him anymore.

I should explain that I have been interested in locks for some time as a hobby.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:33 pm

So are you telling us that folks around here can pick a Phillips lock and deadbolt and turn the pins for 720degrees
or twice around in less than six seconds?   Or are you talking about other locks?   Most lock around here are Phillips
combo with knob type angled door striker like regular door knob up north with a 720 degree deadbolt added in one unit.
I thought they looked pretty good. 

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Yes- the locksmith who installed the triple bolt, double channel lock in Puerto Vallarta said he could open a Phillips single bolt, standard key, in six seconds. Guess what enterprising young criminals learn while in U.S. incarceration, and they bring this skills back to Mexico when deported. They are more likely to bump locks and/or crowbars though. A bump key for any standard Phillips lock could be purchased for less than 100 pesos.

I apologize if my wide brush makes people angry, but most of the opportunist breakins we see in Lakeside are tracked back to construction workers and/or inside information. The thieves in the big cities are more 'professional', and take some pride and planning of their plots.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:So are you telling us that folks around here can pick a Phillips lock and deadbolt and turn the pins for 720degrees
or twice around in less than six seconds?   Or are you talking about other locks?   Most lock around here are Phillips
combo with knob type angled door striker like regular door knob up north with a 720 degree deadbolt added in one unit.

Z
This exact lock can be smashed or hammered out silently and quickly. I have been told that an iron box welded around the outside of the lock circle will prevent that.
When it happened to me in my previous rental I moved before the theory was tested.
I would prefer to upgrade locks and bolts on the doors rather than test it again.

In my most recent event I know it was at least partially an inside job, however one possibly two locks had to be compromised as I held the only key and it never left my possession or sight when anyone was working in or around the house. So they were picked and very quickly as there is no sign of other tampering and again, no one could have had keys for some of the locks.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Here is the lock you need. There are better, but this available locally:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-433118852-cerradura-sobreponer-maxima-seguridad-phillips-as-3000-_JM

This is YOUR lock, install with the owner's permission and give them a key. If you move, this lock goes with you. The best way is to install it above or below the landlord's lock, that way you have the security of two locks, if you want, and when you move you can more easily take your lock.

A good metal worker is good too, I know of a good one in Chapala (Lupe), his prices are very reasonable but he speaks no English whatsoever.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Grizzy wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:So are you telling us that folks around here can pick a Phillips lock and deadbolt and turn the pins for 720degrees

Z
This exact lock can be smashed or hammered out silently and quickly. I have been told that an iron box welded around the outside of the lock circle will prevent that.
When it happened to me in my previous rental I moved before the theory was tested.
I would prefer to upgrade locks and bolts on the doors rather than test it again.

In my most recent event I know it was at least partially an inside job, however one possibly two locks had to be compromised as I held the only key and it never left my possession or sight when anyone was working in or around the house. So they were picked and very quickly as there is no sign of other tampering and again, no one could have had keys for some of the locks.
Were they the normal Phillips locks?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Yes- the locksmith who installed the triple bolt, double channel lock in Puerto Vallarta said he could open a Phillips single bolt, standard key, in six seconds. Guess what enterprising young criminals learn while in U.S. incarceration, and they bring this skills back to Mexico when deported. They are more likely to bump locks and/or crowbars though. A bump key for any standard Phillips lock could be purchased for less than 100 pesos.

I apologize if my wide brush makes people angry, but most of the opportunist breakins we see in Lakeside are tracked back to construction workers and/or inside information. The thieves in the big cities are more 'professional', and take some pride and planning of their plots.
Why should folks be angry?   All it takes is one dishonest person.  I very much appreciate the info as I am moving into a new house that is more of a target house than my present house.

Good Info. I still think your friend is bragging about six seconds but even if it is 30 seconds I am just as screwed and what do I know about Mexican Phillips locks.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 pm

O.K. Zed - I will private email Jim's phone number is you want a security audit. As I mentioned to Grizz - he also gives self defense lessons using a night stick, but I am not sure if he teaches just anyone.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
Grizzy wrote:

Z

Were they the normal Phillips locks?

Z
Yes, the one described. 720 turn deadbolts with in my case the key component mounted flush for security. I was home when two were smashed in and heard nothing. The full report of this previous incident is on the crimereport website. I forget the latest incantation of the url but it is easy to find.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 pm

This is the link to the crime website:

http://www.lakechapalacrime.com
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down