INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents

+3
Rosa Venus
Lady Otter Latté
CheenaGringo
7 posters

Go down

A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents Empty A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I dislike the term "newbies" primarily because it has been used in almost a derogatory way to describe or categorize either part time residents or newer full time residents, so I won't be using that term.

There are some forum members who fought the battle of trying to find things ten, twenty or even thirty years ago and while things have improved, shopping in Mexico is still very different from what you knew NOB! If you have never lived in a foreign country, one of the best habits that will make your life easier - is to get in the habit of observing virtually everything in every store that you visit and filing that info into your memory bank for future reference. It isn't necessarily about what you might be looking for today but rather what you may need in the future. Americans don't tend to shop this way because they are spoiled because they can find most anything at the store of their choice. Not so in Mexico! When I read this and other forums with repeated questions about where to find a given item (one which the person asking the question has probably walked by 10+ times without their brain engaged), I have to wonder in what bubble these long time residents have been living in? Wouldn't it be far easier to actually pay attention and not have to ask questions about something you should know the answer to?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents Empty Re: A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Cheena, it takes a while to begin paying attention to where you can find things--also to buying them when you see them because they may not be there the next time. But, also, at winter holiday time, people begin looking for things they may be using just at this time of the year--and that also may be in stock only this time of year. Have mercy also on those of us with poor memories. Sometimes I know I saw something somewhere but can not recall where.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents Empty Re: A Hopefully Polite Suggestion for Newer Residents

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:19 pm

CheenaGringo doesn't live in Mexico but he's an expert on how and where everyone should live in Mexico, not to mention how we should behave.

CheenaGringo, your attitude is really getting old. You used to post helpful information on traveling throughout Mexico, on several forums. That seems to be your area of expertise these days since you're a visitor. Why don't you go back to that? It would be welcome.

flag waver
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Be patient Rosa, he's in one of his "know all/little bitchy"  moods...when he gets that most of us aren't crazy about this usually hidden side ..he'll go back to being helpful.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Cheena lived in Mexico for several years and visits often. He's got a lot of knowlege to share.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 pm

David:

Thanks for the endorsement but I really blew my post and did a very poor job of explaining what was on my mind!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Been there. Done that. Understand.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 am

CheenaGringo wrote:David:

Thanks for the endorsement but I really blew my post and did a very poor job of explaining what was on my mind!
I thought you did a very good job and I agree with your OP.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 am

Cheena, i too agree with what you had to say. i have a friend who has lived here in Joco for 25+ years. i have lived here for 5+ years. And yet my friend is occasionally amazed that i know where to buy such-and-such that she did not realize was available here. And we have a mutual friend who has lived here for 8+ years and she knows more than both of us combined!

So it's not always how long you've been here, but what you've looked for and/or seen and/or read about and remembered, as you say.

As a recent example, my 8+ years friend and i decided that we wanted to do a turkey and dressing and cranberry sauce dinner this year. Oh, sure, we knew we could probably find everything we wanted/needed at Superlake and/or El Torito, but by doing a search on this forum, i found recommendations for buying a turkey at Puritan Poultry. That didn't surprise me, but what DID surprise me when we went there, was that they had all the other things we were looking for, too.....stuffing mix, two kinds of cranberry sauce, turkey gravy, etc., etc. One-stop shopping for the most part.

So thanks to all of you who are willing to share your findings and/or experiences online!

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down