INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescription availability

+14
gringal
Smartalex
espíritu del lago
CheenaGringo
Fastfox
Dr. Sam Thelin
Grizzy
Chapalamed
lunateak
Pedro
zenwoodle
dcampbell757
CanuckBob
Poorolddad
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Prescription availability - Page 2 Empty PLM

Post by Fastfox Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Poorolddad wrote:Mexico PLM is the equivalent of the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference)
Thanks to all of you.
Below is a link to the English translation of Diccionario De Especialidades Farmaceuticis ( Mexican PLM).

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.medicamentosplm.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDiccionario%2BDe%2BEspecialidades%2BFarmac%25C3%25A9uticas%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D671

Poorolddad

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, that link takes me to multiple lines of Google Translate with no page information. I also tried just cutting and pasting in the address bar. Same result, so not sure what to do to rectify this.

Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Prescription availability - Page 2 Empty Re: Prescription availability

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Grizzy wrote:
Chapalamed wrote:
Ambien is available and called STILNOX here in Mexico.  I'll check on the rest a bit later.
Thanks! Was told otherwise, will look for it.

You may have been told Ambien is not available in Mexico. That would be true if the actual brand name "Ambien" is not sold here. However, Ambien is a trade name in the USA (and maybe other countries) for the generic substance, zolpidem. If you look at the list, zolpidem is sold in Mexico under the brand names Nitrest, Nocte, Stilnox, and Sonnox.

Your doctor may try to save you money by not putting a specific brand name on the prescription. If only the generic name is on the prescription, you have your choice. However some pharmacies will demand you have the brand name written (this is required for group I). If this happens, tell the pharmacy it is "their" (not yours) responsibility to put the brand name they sell you, or the name of the company that made it, on the back of the prescription sheet. You can tell them to look it up in their "Suplemento para Establecimientos Dedicados a la Venta y Suministro de Medicamentos y Demás Insumos para la Salud" (a book that by law they have to have) on page 155 in the current 4th edition.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:08 pm

As a 68 year old, who is lucky enough to take absolutely zero prescriptions, I am flabbergasted by the shear number of prescription medications foreigners take on a daily basis!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Fastfox wrote:First of all, thanks so much for posting that list of medications.  Very helpful.  So many of us have medical issues.  What does Mexican PLM stand for?  I did a Google search, but nothing close to the topic came up.

My question is about two specific medications, neither of which are pills:  Combivent and Symbicort.  Does anyone know if these are available.

Almost forgot to ask about this one (which is a pill)--Wellbutrin or the generic version.

1. PLM is Productos de Laboratorios Medicos, also called DEF Diccionario de Especialidades Farmaceuticas. It is like the PDR, but not as informative (lacks inactive ingredients, etc).

2. Combivent is available here as an inhaler and a solution for breathing. Symbicort is also available.

3. So is Wellbutrin as bupropion.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Prescription availability - Page 2 Empty Inhalers

Post by Fastfox Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:
Fastfox wrote:First of all, thanks so much for posting that list of medications.  Very helpful.  So many of us have medical issues.  What does Mexican PLM stand for?  I did a Google search, but nothing close to the topic came up.

My question is about two specific medications, neither of which are pills:  Combivent and Symbicort.  Does anyone know if these are available.

Almost forgot to ask about this one (which is a pill)--Wellbutrin or the generic version.

1. PLM is Productos de Laboratorios Medicos, also called DEF Diccionario de Especialidades Farmaceuticas. It is like the PDR, but not as informative (lacks inactive ingredients, etc).

2. Combivent is available here as an inhaler and a solution for breathing. Symbicort is also available.

3. So is Wellbutrin as bupropion.

Thanks so much!
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Prescription availability - Page 2 Empty Drug Solutions

Post by Fastfox Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:44 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:As a 68 year old, who is lucky enough to take absolutely zero prescriptions, I am flabbergasted by the shear number of prescription medications foreigners take on a daily basis!  

Yes. It amazes me as well. I hate to say it, but this is the American way. The drug companies will do everything to keep people on medications as it is so profitable for them. This is what all those TV ads are about.

The entire system has been so corrupted as the FDA gets all its information from the drug companies, and this is what they use to approve them. There is no unbiased third party. The FDA also gets money from the drug companies. They do not want people to learn about natural remedies and work to ensure that certain remedies never come to light, and others remain illegal. It is no longer about the welfare of the person, only the profit.

As an example, I can personally attest to this. In Peru, Coca Leaves are made into a tea to assist with the problem of getting oxygen into the blood and resolve the problem with the high altitude. This is inexpensive and quite effective for many people, yet you cannot get this tea or dried leaves in the US or Mexico. Instead, we are stuck with Symbicort at between $200 and $300 to fill the prescription.

Doctors are simply not trained to offer natural preventatives or natural remedies. I do not mean to stray off the topic, however, this seemed relevant.
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorolddad Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 pm

The money is in treating a problem, not curing it.

Does anybody know a medical mail order company that mails to Mexico?

Poorolddad
Poorolddad
Poorolddad

Humor : Yes, please

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 am

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:
Grizzy wrote:
Chapalamed wrote:
Ambien is available and called STILNOX here in Mexico.  I'll check on the rest a bit later.
Thanks! Was told otherwise, will look for it.

You may have been told Ambien is not available in Mexico. That would be true if the actual brand name "Ambien" is not sold here. However, Ambien is a trade name in the USA (and maybe other countries) for the generic substance, zolpidem. If you look at the list, zolpidem is sold in Mexico under the brand names Nitrest, Nocte, Stilnox, and Sonnox.

Your doctor may try to save you money by not putting a specific brand name on the prescription. If only the generic name is on the prescription, you have your choice. However some pharmacies will demand you have the brand name written (this is required for group I). If this happens, tell the pharmacy it is "their" (not yours) responsibility to put the brand name they sell you, or the name of the company that made it, on the back of the prescription sheet. You can tell them to look it up in their "Suplemento para Establecimientos Dedicados a la Venta y Suministro de Medicamentos y Demás Insumos para la Salud" (a book that by law they have to have) on page 155 in the current 4th edition.

I thought I did a search for the generic a few months ago but maybe not. I started taking magnesium and my chronic insomnia is gone! Yay. Thanks Dr Sam. I appreciate the info.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Prescription availability - Page 2 Empty Inhaler Prescriptions

Post by Fastfox Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Poorolddad wrote:The money is in treating a problem, not curing it.

Poorolddad

Exactly.
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Poorolddad wrote:The money is in treating a problem, not curing it.

Poorolddad

You are asking the wrong question. There is not an issue with "sending" things to México. The problem is "receiving" them. Méxican customs makes pre-1990 Soviet Union importation regulations look like free trade. They need to be sent to someone in the USA or Canada, and brought back as personal items. Spencer could elaborate on the exact laws and restrictions.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Fastfox wrote:
Poorolddad wrote:Mexico PLM is the equivalent of the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference)
Thanks to all of you.
Below is a link to the English translation of Diccionario De Especialidades Farmaceuticis ( Mexican PLM).

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.medicamentosplm.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDiccionario%2BDe%2BEspecialidades%2BFarmac%25C3%25A9uticas%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D671

Poorolddad

Thank you for responding.  Unfortunately, that link takes me to multiple lines of Google Translate with no page information.  I also tried just cutting and pasting in the address bar.  Same result, so not sure what to do to rectify this.

http://www.facmed.unam.mx/bmnd/dirijo.php?bib_vv=6

MEXICO PLM - Mexico's Physician PDR.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Maybe somebody can pin to see links!  I bookmarked them.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:19 pm

While I admit to being a bit too blunt with my comment, I just don't get why "patients" allow themselves to get hooked on mood altering or mood modification drugs. Could this be a generational thing and just an extension of what was the norm back in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's? If there is a solid medical reason and a cure - then I have no problem but all the other excuses just don't seem to work with me.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:13 pm

I tend to agree with you, Cheena. I also tend to agree with Pedro that the antidepressants, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping aids may no longer be necessary when you live here...there just isn't a whole lot around here to be depressed, anxious or sleepless about.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorolddad Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 am

"CheenaGringo" and "Smartalex": It appears that you both have been blessed with no chronic health problems, nor have had experiences in your lives (injuries, etc.) that caused you to have problems. Otherwise, you would know that not everyone was born with perfect biochemistry, and maintained it. The brain is the most complex, least understood, and hardest to directly measure part of the body, yet controls pretty much all of it. Things like, for instance blood pressure, can be directly measured, plus there are blood tests, X-rays, MRI, sonograms, and other diagnostic tools that can be used to directly determine exactly what is going on, or not going on, in other body parts. Sure there are CAT scans, X-rays and others that can measure blood flow, activity, and see aneurisms or tumors, but in term of the many chemicals in the brain, their amounts and interactions none exist that I know of.

CheenaGringo wrote:While I admit to being a bit too blunt with my comment, I just don't get why "patients" allow themselves to get hooked on mood altering or mood modification drugs.....
That maybe blunt, but is also uninformed and even more offensive, to people with chronic health problems.
In the case of people with mental health problems, to say, "I just don't get why "patients" allow themselves to get hooked..." on doctor prescribed medications is exactly the same as saying in the case of people with blood pressure problems, "I just don't get why "patients" allow themselves to get hooked..." on doctor prescribed medications.
There are people who, incorrectly, consider blood pressure problems, for instance, to be a "real" health problem, but mental health problems to not be "real".
Those people, to be blunt, are biased, bigoted and uninformed.

CheenaGringo wrote:... Could this be a generational thing and just an extension of what was the norm back in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's?...
Well, that isn't blunt at all. You seem to be, in the form of a question, equating recreational drug use with doctor prescribed medications. Again, bluntly, biased, bigoted and uninformed.

CheenaGringo wrote:...If there is a solid medical reason and a cure - then I have no problem but all the other excuses just don't seem to work with me.
Here, again rather than bluntly, you are implying that doctors will prescribe medications without a "solid medical reason". Maybe your doctors will do that, I'm sure some do, but I've never met or been treated by a doctor with that low of medical ethics. And as far as "a cure", many people are treated for blood pressure, heart, kidney, liver, thyroid and other chronic health problems for which there is no known cure, only treatment.

And as far as you having a problem with it, or whether it works for you, I won't even comment.

Smartalex wrote:I tend to agree with you, Cheena. I also tend to agree with Pedro that the antidepressants, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping aids may no longer be necessary when you live here...
Perhaps you should inform the people at Veteran's Health Care. Many of my fellow Vietnam Era Veterans, Iraq Veterans, and Afghanistan Veterans could benefit from your information. If something as simple as a geographical change will solve their mental health problems, it would be great! However if I were to guess, my guess would be that changes you mention are, at best, anecdotal, rather than anything else. But, that is only my guess and I could be wrong.
Of course you did say, "may no longer be necessary", what if they are still necessary, but unavailable? I would be up that well known creek. That is why I am asking the questions I am. My life experiences have taught me to make informed decisions. When I was younger there were times I leaped before looking, resulting in me being in that creek, not just up it.

There have been a couple Doctors who have commented in this forum thread and I thank you both greatly. If you could and would, please comment on what I've said in this posting, because if I am wrong, I really need to know that. Thank you again.

poorolddad
Poorolddad
Poorolddad

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:41 am

I hope I am not out of line saying this but I'll say it anyway.  IMO Vets don't get much respect on the forum's. Not from what I've read. There are great Dr's in Mexico. I would rely upon a couple of trusted and tried doctors. Debating touchy subjects can and usually goes downhill quickly during forum discussion. 

Espiritu
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalamed Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Poorolddad,

I am saddened that a simple question about the availability of certain medications that you seek in Mexico has come under scrutiny and what seems to be some misguided sense of self-righteousness.  Dealing with patients with chronic pain etc weighs heavy on the hearts and minds of most "HEALERS" (Doctors, Chiropractors, Psychiatrists, Therapists etc.). Doing this kind of work is not easy and can take years off ones life.  

I had a cousin commit suicide a couple of years ago due to the high degree of pain he was experiencing and was only 2 days away from a surgery before his insurance in Chicago deemed it an "experimental" surgery and would not cover it at Christ hospital.

Pain in large part has a psychological and biochemical component. Just as our DNA is not the same, our tolerance to certain states is not as well.  It really takes a special kind of person to understand this and be able to help another human cope with these issues.

I tried to provide some information and guidance to your simple questions and not to fuel any debates or have anybody judge you for the medications you chose to take in order to function as best you can.  

I wish you the best of luck and if you have any further simple and specific medical questions, you can email me at info@chapalamed.com  

Best wishes and I wish you all the best of health.
Chapalamed
Chapalamed
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorolddad Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 am

Fastfox wrote:
Thanks to all of you.

Poorolddad

Thank you for responding.  Unfortunately, that link takes me to multiple lines of Google Translate with no page information.  I also tried just cutting and pasting in the address bar.  Same result, so not sure what to do to rectify this.

Fastfox, I am sorry it took me this long to get back to you, but you know how it is, life keeps interrupting things you want to do.

To get an English translation of the Diccionario De Especialidades Farmaceuticis ( Mexican PLM), try this:

Go to Google and enter: medicamentosplm.com
For me, the first thing on the search results screen is "Diccionario de Especialidades Farmacéuticas 2013"
Click on "Translate this page"
That should take you to the PLM main page. It will still be in Spanish, don't worry.
In the top right corner you will see three click-able buttons;
Anterior [Previous]
Siguiente [Following]
Imprimir  [Print]

Along the left side you will see a menu of options;
Inicio [Initiation]
Laboratorios [Laboratories]
Marcas [Brands]
Terapeutico ATC [Therapeutic]
Indicaciones [Indications]
Sustancias Activas [Active Ingredients]
Fotografias de Productos [Product pictures]
Medicamentos Controlados [Controlled Drugs]
Contactanos [Contact Us]
Aviso de Privacidad [Privacy Policy]
Terminos y Condiciones [Terms and Conditions]

When you click on any of the menu options, for instance "Indicaciones [Indications]", the results are in English.

I hope that helps, heck, I hope it works for you. Please let me know one way, or the other.

poorolddad
Poorolddad
Poorolddad

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 am

Pedro wrote:maybe if you mentioned the drugs, you could get more help. some of us are on a ton of 'em. most of the stough here require no RX by the way.
santiago put me on a great combo pill fer my pal arthur itis who likes to visit my l5/s1. it's not available in the excited states or canucklehead land and requires a RX here.

Over the counter: Wobenzyn does a good job for my friend's Arthur Itis. Enzyme that's been around over 50 years. Also thickens hair, so you might look fuzzier, too.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Prescription availability - Page 2 Empty Inhaler Prescriptions

Post by Fastfox Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:56 am

Poorolddad wrote:
Fastfox wrote:
Thanks to all of you.

Poorolddad

Fastfox, I am sorry it took me this long to get back to you, but you know how it is, life keeps interrupting things you want to do.

To get an English translation of the Diccionario De Especialidades Farmaceuticis ( Mexican PLM), try this:

Go to Google and enter: medicamentosplm.com
For me, the first thing on the search results screen is "Diccionario de Especialidades Farmacéuticas 2013"
Click on "Translate this page"
That should take you to the PLM main page. It will still be in Spanish, don't worry.
In the top right corner you will see three click-able buttons;
Anterior [Previous]
Siguiente [Following]
Imprimir  [Print]

Along the left side you will see a menu of options;
Inicio [Initiation]
Laboratorios [Laboratories]
Marcas [Brands]
Terapeutico ATC [Therapeutic]
Indicaciones [Indications]
Sustancias Activas [Active Ingredients]
Fotografias de Productos [Product pictures]
Medicamentos Controlados [Controlled Drugs]
Contactanos [Contact Us]
Aviso de Privacidad [Privacy Policy]
Terminos y Condiciones [Terms and Conditions]

When you click on any of the menu options, for instance "Indicaciones [Indications]", the results are in English.

I hope that helps, heck, I hope it works for you. Please let me know one way, or the other.

poorolddad

Thank you for going to all that trouble. I was able to view the pages in English.
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorolddad Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Well maybe others will benefit.
Poorolddad
Poorolddad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry00 Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 am

Deleted

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorolddad Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:20 am

A problem found everywhere.
Poorolddad
Poorolddad

Back to top Go down

Post by GarrettB Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:17 am

MEXICAN PLM google search yielded a number of unrelated postings from software to political parties. Thoughts?

GarrettB

Back to top Go down

Post by blabbyabbey Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:58 am

Poorolddad wrote:Here's a couple I seem to have the most trouble with, Phenelzine Sulfate (brand name: Nardil). It is an MAOI anti-depressant. The other is Clonazepam (trade name: Rivotril). It is anti-anxiety medication.

There are others for BP, like Lisinopril, Clonidine, etc., I don't think will be any problem.

Poorolddad

What a coincidence, just yesterday my Dr. gave me a prescription for Clonazepam 0.5mg. tabs box of 30. Have not gotten it yet. Not sure if there are different strengths.

blabbyabbey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:58 am

Stilnox is pretty pricey. Plan to spend about $100 USD a month for it if you use a tablet a night.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2