INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tianguis paver project in Ajijic

+11
Zedinmexico
Lady Otter Latté
slainte39
gringal
BRLAhere
Rosa Venus
Pedro
David
gvprod
papa chango
JayBear
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

tianguis paver project in Ajijic Empty tianguis paver project in Ajijic

Post by JayBear Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:09 am

The Ajijic Delegado Advisory Committee is well aware that the entire community - vendors,elderly, previously injured, handicapped, etc. are all awaiting news about when the Tianguis Paver Project will begin. A meeting has been set with the Presidente of Chapala for 10 a.m. on January 16 to determine just that. Representing Ajijic will be Delegado Hector Espana, businessman Angel Del Gadillo, and committee chair Harry Bublin

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

tianguis paver project in Ajijic Empty Re: tianguis paver project in Ajijic

Post by papa chango Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm

I am reluctantly supporting this project. However, if the gringos try to pave the other streets, I will be dead set against it. I feel the cobblestone streets add to the charm of living in a Mexican village. Also they slow down traffic which means that children and old people walking on the streets will not get run over as often. 

Gringos, spend your money in Mexico but don't try to change it.

tianguis paver project in Ajijic 87465

Last edited by papa chango on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Please don't change Ajijic, forget the streets, there are many other projects that could benefit the general population better than adding PAVERS to one street that is used only once a week, the rest of the week there is hardly any traffic on this street. Monies could be better spent to help support a medical center for the poor. Since Guadalajara and Chapala don't seem to care.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:12 pm

" Monies could be better spent to help support a medical center for the poor. Since Guadalajara and Chapala don't seem to care.''

Isn't that what Seguro Popular is doing?

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Ajijic has a Centro de Salud for the locals.  Seguro Popular is a Gov't Helth Plan one must sign up for.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:12 pm

axixix streets are only "quaint" for gringos.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:50 pm

gvprod wrote:....forget the streets, there are many other projects that could benefit the general population better than adding PAVERS to one street that is used only once a week, the rest of the week there is hardly any traffic on this street.

That would be entirely incorrect (I live a block and a half from Revolución). Besides the Tianguis, there are two futbol/soccer fields and the Lienzo Charro on that street. It is in use constantly by locals.

Of course there are other worthwhile needs and never enough money to address them, but that's a different discussion.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm

David wrote:Ajijic has a Centro de Salud for the locals.  Seguro Popular is a Gov't Helth Plan one must sign up for.

Actually, people are not required to sign up. It is better medicine if you do, however since you will see the doctor assigned to you. People walk in off the street frequently.

Back to top Go down

Post by BRLAhere Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Pedro wrote:axixix streets are only "quaint" for gringos.

Thank you, Jerry (Garcia) my friend.  So far those Mexicans living near and around the police station in Chapala don't seem to have any complaints with their paved streets.  The folks in Mezcala sure ruined all their "quaintness" with pavers, huh?  Oh, and Guad airport decided against cobble runways as do the highway folks for all the quotas all over Mexico.  My mexican Camry sure seems to dislike the rumbles and lost bolts & nuts while bouncing across all these quaint cobblestone streets.  I'm wit'cha, Senor! Just my 2-centavos worth.........
BRLAhere
BRLAhere
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:11 pm

It's not so quaint when you take a fall on the poorly set cobbles on that street.
I call 'em "clobberstones".  It will be a good thing for the merchants, since there are probably people who don't go to the tiangus for fear of hurting themselves and traffic might increase with smoother paving.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Oh, your poor car.     tianguis paver project in Ajijic 851398 

If you would park it and walk you might get some exercise and your nuts might not fall off.

Most of my Mexican friends that I have discussed the cobblestone street situation with have agreed that they should not be paved over.

flag waver
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:10 pm

i guess the mexicans in chapala,mezcala,jocotepec,tizapan,etc. etc. are more astute than your friends,chango?
as long as i can remember-it's only SOME silly gringos who think them cobbly stones is quaint in yer village.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Pedro wrote:i guess the mexicans in chapala,mezcala,jocotepec,tizapan,etc. etc. are more astute than your friends,chango?
as long as i can remember-it's only SOME  silly gringos who think them cobbly stones is quaint in yer village.

You are the one who mentioned "quaint".  

If you ask some of the realtors lakeside they will tell you that a certain percentage of people that are looking for houses here want to be in walking distance to the plaza. So which is safest? Cobblestones or speeding cars and idiots on motorcycles racing up the streets?  I walk most of the time and feel safer when cars and other vehicles are slowly going down the street. I have learned to watch my feet and avoid falling on the cobblestones.

lol!
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Cobblestones + burros + private cesspools + abacuses + on and on =
quaint old Mexico.   Rolling Eyes 
They weren't put there because they were quaint, but because the people and town were poor and that was what they could afford.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Beer 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 am

papa chango wrote:
Pedro wrote:i guess the mexicans in chapala,mezcala,jocotepec,tizapan,etc. etc. are more astute than your friends,chango?
as long as i can remember-it's only SOME  silly gringos who think them cobbly stones is quaint in yer village.

If you ask some of the realtors lakeside they will tell you that a certain percentage of people that are looking for houses here want to be in walking distance to the plaza. So which is safest? Cobblestones or speeding cars and idiots on motorcycles racing up the streets?  I walk most of the time and feel safer when cars and other vehicles are slowly going down the street. I have learned to watch my feet and avoid falling on the cobblestones.

lol!

I agree completely and try a set of Pirma sandles which are made of thick flexible real rubber from Brazil. They bend around the cobbles rather
than skidding across the top. Very inexpensive also. Best cobblestone sandles I have ever seen. Wore out four pairs in six years but I walk a lot.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:03 am

papa chango wrote:

lol!
How lucky you are that you have no problems with balance or walking, etc. Topes are made to slow the cars and motorcycles. Traffic is usually heavy, so that means stop and go, not speeding. People will still be in walking distance of everything whether there are uneven stones, (they are not cobblestones, go to Europe if you wish to see real cobbles), paved with tar, cement, pavers or gold. There are sidewalks everywhere. Having pavers on that road will make it more accessible to those in wheelchairs, etc. I have a very difficult time walking on those roads, pick my route very carefully to avoid having to walk on stones, often having to detour and take a longer route. It takes me twice as long to walk on stones than an even surface. One reason I never shop the Ajijic tianquis any more, I can't watch my step and see what is for sale at the same time, prefer the one in Joco, easier to walk. No, I do not need a cane, walker, crutch, you would not know of my disability when on pavement. It is only apparent to others when I am forced to walk uneven ground, so I wish they were all paved roads.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 am

Zed, where do you purchase these Pirma sandals?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 am

itsme wrote:
papa chango wrote:

lol!
How lucky you are that you have no problems with balance or walking, etc. Topes are made to slow the cars and motorcycles. Traffic is usually heavy, so that means stop and go, not speeding. People will still be in walking distance of everything whether there are uneven stones, (they are not cobblestones, go to Europe if you wish to see real cobbles), paved with tar, cement, pavers or gold. There are sidewalks everywhere. Having pavers on that road will make it more accessible to those in wheelchairs, etc. I have a very difficult time walking on those roads, pick my route very carefully to avoid having to walk on stones, often having to detour and take a longer route. It takes me twice as long to walk on stones than an even surface. One reason I never shop the Ajijic tianquis any more, I can't watch my step and see what is for sale at the same time, prefer the one in Joco, easier to walk.  No, I do not need a cane, walker, crutch, you would not know of my disability when on pavement. It is only apparent to others when I am forced to walk uneven ground, so I wish they were all paved roads.
right on!!!!! tizapan is even more paved[mostly smooth concrete] than jocotepec and they have grande topes.
the streets in ajijic are an abomination,especially since it is a town built on the side of a hill.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Zed, where do you purchase these Pirma sandals?

I don't know if you can still find them there but I used to buy mine at the tiangis in Ajijic. They used to cost 200 pesos but the last time I bought a pair I think they were 300 pesos.

I have heard that there is a store on Ocampo just off of Colon on the lake side about a half block down that has Pirma sandals.

Surte
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 am

Thank you for the information, Papa.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 am

Available all over the place. They say Pirma on them with brown leather straps that close using Velcro. The bottom of the shoe is made of Natural Rubber and is quite thick and flexible after they break in. Cheapest price is the shoe outlet on the north side of the road
that goes to the new Costco. Store in Mall is called Pirma.  Pirma is a Mexican company but the sandals are made in Brazil.  I admit they make Berkenstocks look good style wise but you can't beat them on the Cobbles. I couldn't find a picture of them sorry but you can't miss them. Look for the thick sole sandal with leather strap tops that say Pirma in 1/2 " letters.  About 311P (before the price increase in Jan) at Pirma store. UP to 50 pesos more here.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:08 am

Thank you, Zed. These sound like just what I have been looking for.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am

the word for shoes in espanol is zapatos and i had no trouble finding this pic of the men's style pirma sandal,price:385p in mercado libre-eh zed-SNORK!
tianguis paver project in Ajijic Sandal10
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:02 am

Thank you for posting the photo, Pedro. Very helpful.
Zed, I am most impressed that you wore out four pair of these in six years. I guess you really DO walk a lot!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next