INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Few Questions

+6
Mainecoons
Carry Bean
ferret
oncesubtle
Intercasa
espíritu del lago
10 posters

Go down

A Few Questions Empty A Few Questions

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 am

• Are you rethinking you decision to move to Mexico due to the increase in the rise of violent crime?

• Are you planning on selling your home and moving somewhere else due to the increase in the rise of violent crime in Mexico?

• How has the increase in violence changed your lifestyle in your daily routine?

• Have you already moved because of the violence?

I attempted to do a poll but it would not post.

Please refrain from flaming other posters.

Regards.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

A Few Questions Empty Re: A Few Questions

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:00 am

No, No, Yes, No

I've put up more security cameras and will record, am more aware of surroundings, will not just be bored at midnight and walk around alone.

Alot of it is bad luck and odds and if you are in the wrong areas at wrong time.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 am

no, no, no, no.

With the increase in violence in the United States have you decided to move, sell your house, change your lifestyle, jump off a bridge, drink more tequila?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:18 am

No to all the questions.
We are selling our home on the coast but it's because of health issues and the need to move closer to medical facilities.
We will remain in Mexico
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:20 am

That is off topic.and not related, but since you asked. No, I live in the country, l do not have to lock my doors or windows.

Back on topic, I currently own a home in Mexico. I am not planning on selling yet. I am waiting to see how this will play out. I had all utilities turned off last year. The year before that I added extra security to my home. I have Mexican neighbors who take care of other issues as they arise. I will still fly down when I want to. I was in Hermosillo last week to visit a friend.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:32 am

Off topic? I answered your questions and asked a related question. But thanks for your status report, I didn't know you had a home in Mexico. flag waver
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 am

As you know I am planning on getting married and have other things on my mind. My soon to be wife has been in Mexico several times for lengthy stays. Moving there is not a forever option like it was once thought we would. I have invested quite a bit of money in my home and hope to recover some of that if I do decide in the future to sell. Also I hope this war does not drag on forever as we would love to enjoy our other home.

Currently we have been looking at Florida for a new place to explore in place of Mexico.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:44 am

No to all questions.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:35 pm

No, no, yes a bit, no. We are more observant and less likely to go out late at night but we never did much of that anyway.

As for the optional answser regarding Tequila consumption, I would but my liver is already not too happy with current levels of consumption. Dammit!

People tend to forget that, on a much smaller scale, much the same happened in the U.S. around prohibition when the Feds really started applying the heat. The very openness of these incidences shows that these criminal organizations are increasingly stressed and disorganized.

I remain a great deal more optimistic about Mexico than I do about the U.S. It seems that this country, at least, remembers the perils of runaway debt very well and isn't going to repeat past mistakes.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:18 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:
  • Are you rethinking you decision to move to Mexico due to the increase in the rise of violent crime?

Too late since we moved here ten years ago. We picked Mexico over Colombia since there was so much violence down there in 2000 when we made our decision. Today, maybe we´d choose Colombia in either the highlands or Cartagena.

• Are you planning on selling your home and moving somewhere else due to the increase in the rise of violent crime in Mexico?

We own two homes in Mexico - Lake Chapala and San Cristóbal de Las Casas. When we bought in San Criatóbal, that was the supposedly dangerous place but today we actually would choose San Cristóbal over the Chapala area for safety. However, after having an emergency gall bladder operation in an utterly filthy hospital in San Cristóbal that nearly killed me leaving me no time to fly to DF to have it done and coming down with a serious amoeba problem in Tapachula in a rustic hotel on the slopes of the Tacaná Volcano that took months to cure, I now value living close to Guadalajara more than ever for the excellent medical care available in that city - an asset that becomes more valuable as I get older. We´ll keep both homes for now since the real estate market seems to be in a bit of a slump but the Lake Chapala area or metro Guadalajara are much better places for geezers so our primary residence will remain here.

Anybody want to buy a really nice newly renovated home in San Cristóbal´s historic center?

• How has the increase in violence changed your lifestyle in your daily routine?

• At Lake Chapala, yes - a wee bit - like avoiding large, crowded events or venturing out late at night. In San Cristóbal, no, except that we will be more cautious when exploring dangerous areas near the border with Guatemala by car. Incidentally; the incredible violence in the Lacandon Forest and other areas near the Mexco/Guatemala border in Chiapas and Tabasco both against Central American illegal immigrants, Central Americans working legitimately and among indigenous groups in conflict is underreported or not reported at all. Dawg understands this phenomenon which arises, more than any other reason, from lack of caring because the antagonists are indigenous and thus, in the minds of the local "ladinos" irrelevant plus the fact that these violent episodes take place usually in the deep jungle where corpses rot away under forest cover and tribal law prevails and "everybody minds his own business".

We just drove down through Michoacan to Zihuatanejo over Route 37 from the Guadalajara - DF Autopista through Uruapan and Nueva Italia, an area I like to call the "empty quarter" south of Nueva Italia (beautiful drive though if a bit deserted) because we had prepaid for a hotel room some months ago. I don´t know that I´d do that too often. Chiapas seems much safer than Michoacan and Guerrero these days.

To further emphasize the terrible violence that has plagued both Michoacan and Guerrero of late, on the way up Highway 200 from Zihuatanejo to Highway 37 to head north to Uruapan, we were passed by a large convoy or machine gun toting federales and, when we got the first toll plaza on Autopista 37, that large contingent of federal police officers were stopped at the toll plaza area to don bullet proof vests and they were all masked. Then in Nueva Italia as we drove the downtown area of that farm town on a little side excursion, a number of machine gun toting state police cruised past us in several vehicles which is fine but a reminder that nearby Apatzingán is a stronghold of the violent Familia Michoacana and local sympathies seem to be with them at least in part.

I can´t leave this subject without pointing out that a couple of days before we drove the Autopista 37 on our return trip to Lake Chapala, a police commander was assassinated at one of the three toll booths on that highway after having been shot 45 times with automatic weapons.

On the positive side, we were quite impressed with the marvelous agricultural valley occupied by the city of Uruapan which is incredibly green and beautiful and a center of citrus fruit and avocado and macademia production with a great climate at (I think) around 4,000 feet. The extensive cultivation of orchard fruits initiated by an Italian immigrant in the Nueva Italia area many years ago before his haciendas were seized by the government and re-distributed to the landless, assures a drive offering spendid vistas of row crops and orchards and then the harsh but beautiful desert of the "empty quarter" and the Presa Infiernillo begins and the contrast is inspiring. A fine trip if you are so inclined.

Have you already moved because of the violence?

Well, no, but this is the time of year we ordinarily head for a few months stay in Chiapas and, although the timing is coincidental, we are pleased to be out of here for a while and to have convinced a couple of American friends to housesit for us during our absence since things seem a bit unsettled here at present. This too shall pass but, in the meantime, the Chiapas Highlands beckon. What sweet irony that the home of the Zapatistas provides shelter from the Zetas - at least for now - the Chiapas indigenous not being easy folks with whom to deal.

Regards.

Last edited by hound dog on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm

No
NA
NA
NA

It would have to get pretty bad for me to change my plans. Such as the deliberate killing or kidnapping of gringos on a regular basis. I wouldn't put my wife in such a dangerous situation. I'm sure at that point you would all have left as well. Absolute worse case scenario I would find somewhere else down south to hang my hat. Now I may choose to rent longer than I may have a few years ago.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 pm

We have sold our home in Mazatlan and will move permanently to the lake in April. We do not go out here in Mazatlan after dark. We are not afraid, but cautious. We are not discouraged about moving to the lake even though it seems things have escalated. It is still to us a peaceful area to live and we love living in Mexico. I feel just as safe there as in the US.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 pm

No
No
Yes - more vigilant, watching what is going on around me like I did when I lived in NYC
No
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:04 pm

oncesubtle wrote:no, no, no, no.

With the increase in violence in the United States have you decided to move, sell your house, change your lifestyle, jump off a bridge, drink more tequila?

No to jump off a bridge

Yes to drink more tequilla Beer
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down