INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Area Information

+9
bimini6
brigitte
shana
Chapalagringa
Grizzy
oncesubtle
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
beached
13 posters

Go down

Area Information Empty Area Information

Post by beached Sun May 18, 2014 12:25 pm

I hope this does not cause too much controversy, but I am trying to educate myself on the areas in and around the lakeside. Any thought/opinions on best options concerning safety, easy access to main hwys and shopping, more scenic, etc. Have been looking at housing for rent or purchase around Lake Chapala, Jocotepec, and Ajijic. Another thing I just read on this board is that there are major issues with scorpions and black widow spiders!! (Yike) ... any opinions, please post. Thanks!  Very Happy 

beached

Back to top Go down

Area Information Empty Re: Area Information

Post by CanuckBob Sun May 18, 2014 12:35 pm

If you have any phobia's towards bugs (cockroaches, spiders, etc.) then any tropical climate should probably be off your list.

I think every town around the lake has it's pluses and minuses. Your best bet is to come on down and rent in several different areas before deciding on anything long term.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun May 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Safety:  Pretty much the same in any of the village towns, depends greatly on the security of the property you rent.

Access:  Pretty much all the same.  Chapala or Jocotepec are closest to the main drags into GDL.  Jocotepec is closest to the main drag to the beach.

Scenic:  Hillside lodgings often have great views.  In town, not so often.

Scorpions:  All over but more frequent the higher up the hillside you go.  Spiders, all over.  Use Home Defense or similar on your lodgings periodically, make sure there are no places for them to hide near your doors.

Prices:  Cheaper in Chapala and Jocotepec.  Really cheap on the south side of the lake.

Bob's advice is good. Don't rent or buy before you get here. This is off season, rentals are more available. Negotiate a good deal with a local B&B also at off season rates and come down and figure out if it is for you and where before you commit yourself.

Welcome to the area!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun May 18, 2014 1:27 pm

We've lived in Chapala centro for 8 years and have found one dead scorpion, one live and about 5 black widows. The cucaraches however are another story.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Sun May 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Sign a short lease on your first rental and explore the neighborhoods. Walking around is a good way to get the feel of an area. Have fun amd enjoy the quirks and don't be afraid to move a few times.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun May 18, 2014 8:13 pm

best options concerning safety:  We're all here and doing well.
Depends on what type of property and home security will work best for you.    
Do you want a large yard or condo/casita/gated community type living?  
What are your physical abilities/limitations/lifestyle/budget?  All those are important questions to ask yourself in regards to the type of living/home you're going to be interested in.

easy access to main hwys and shopping:  This is a small community, several villages that run along the lake, which is a two lane highway.  Our "traffic congestion" isn't much except on Sunday nights and holidays.  Guadalajara is another story.  

more scenic: A lot of hillside/lake front properties have awesome views.   You'd have to weigh out your options.  

Youtube has many property videos that you can check out.

Regarding bugs, I used to be very phobic about spiders and unusual creatures, not so much anymore. We never spray inside our home and live in a potentially buggy/ants/scorpion/tarantula/snake area...our home is has a border sprayed around areas outside, windows and areas of the sidewalk we're not going to walk barefoot. Maybe we kill one scorpion inside when it's about time to spray again. We just step on them and that's about it.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Sun May 18, 2014 9:58 pm

14 years living in lower Ajijic. 3 scorpions due to construction that disturbed their nests.
I have never seen harmful spiders.
I spray around door frames, pipes and windows once every 3 months so no cucaraches either.
My biggest headachee is cutter ants eating my garden but even that is not a problem when my gardener remembers to spray the grounds in a timely manner.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 pm

They are plenty of black widdows but they are shy and usully hide during th day.JUst do not stick your fingers where you cannot see, like wood pile, , rocks etc in the garden.
I just had a scorpion in the house today , no big deal unless you are allergic.

Plenty of palmeto bugs or tree roaches but you can control them by spraying.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 pm

I think part of the decision would be made on how comfortable you feel with the Spanish language. If you prefer to be around more English speakers, choose San Antonio and Ajijic area. Otherwise move on around the lake to other areas.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Mon May 19, 2014 5:32 pm

There are areas in Ajijic centro where the majority of the neighbors are Mexican.  I live in the village and can speak Spanish all day long.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes it is a misconception that people in Ajijic do not speak Spanish. I speak fluent Spanish , learned it in Ajijic and most people I deal with speak Spanish.
I always think it is funny to meet people who want to live where" the Mexican live" and do not speak a word of Spanish or very poor Spanish.

I know plenty of people who live in Chapala, Jocotopec and south of the lake and do not speak Spanish.

Pick an area you are comfortable with for whatever reason, you will always be able to find people who speak English in this area no matter where you live.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 pm

But if one wants to learn Spanish it would be beneficial to be in an area where Spanish is primarily spoken. Immersion is always the best way to learn.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

beached wrote:Any thought/opinions on best options concerning safety, easy access to main hwys and shopping, more scenic, etc. Have been looking at housing for rent or purchase around Lake Chapala, Jocotepec, and Ajijic.

Main highway access is easiest the closer you are to either Chapala or Jocotepec. Your other criteria are all too subjective to even comment on without more information from you.

Scenic: What's scenic? Living up on a hill with a big lake and mountain view? Or is scenic being able to walk out your door and through a colorful and festive village?

Shopping: Is Walmart shopping? Or is it neighborhood tiendas and abarrotes and tortillerias and an outdoor market with fresh produce? Or do you mean Superlake (a mid-sized grocery store with lots of specialty and NOB products)? Or are you talking about higher end department stores and a whole world of specialty stores? If the latter, that's all in Guadalajara.

Safety: Everyone's relative definition/expectation/personal thermometer is so different, I've learned to stay away from this topic.

As far as evil insects go, I *think* it's more related to the specific house, its exact location and what surrounds it more than which general area it's in. We live in central Ajijic and have them all. We show no mercy.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Mon May 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Whatever gets you through the night. Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 am

Come here rent and move around to different areas than if you feel the need to buy do so. We feel no need to buy and in six years have had three different houses in three different types of neighborhoods. Most fun and most noisy is Mexican neighborhood.  Most quiet and least fun is gringo neighborhood. I miss living with the Mexicans. Your mileage may vary as this is a very opinionated subject which is why I say rent and move around. I survived living one block from plaza in Ajijic.  Never boring but never quiet and not for all gringoes!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 20, 2014 8:15 am

Found black widow nest in Garage yesterday. Fairly common here but nest is very distinctive so easy to spot. Spiders here are no worse than in Pacific NW. Learn how to spot Recluse spider as it is the other bad boy down here. Keep Topical antihistamine in med. cabinet for minor spider bites. Found Scorpion
yesterday in house. Found about three in last month. It is scorpion season here and I live up on the hill
which seems to be worse for the little devils. Also my house is always open to outside which doesn't help the situation but it is manageable even my wife squashes them now. So as you see from other opinions about spiders and Scorpions is that the correct answer is it depends on where you live and how much poison one uses. I use no poison other than the six cats who kill them (your mileage may vary) and live with the critters to a certain extent. Other use poison. Some use non toxic Borax with good results.

Welcome

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down