INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for skilled tradesman

+10
The Postman
Sherman
Pedro
CHILLIN
MexicoPete
JayBear
CanuckBob
eagles100
zenwoodle
Intercasa
14 posters

Go down

Looking for skilled tradesman Empty Looking for skilled tradesman

Post by Intercasa Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:54 pm

I am looking to do a decent remodel on my building and need reliable, honest tradesmen to help.

I am remodeling probably at least 4 to 5 bathrooms, have all the tile coming soon, need someone to rip out old tile and lay new tile.

I need someone to rip off rock covering on facade and prep for new recinto negro as well as in the cochera

I also am thinking of putting marble floors in office so need an installer

Need someone to repair cement work

I am putting laminate wood floors in 2 or 3 bedrooms so need someone to install who has done it before.

Want to change office closet doors, they are old and ugly, also someone to varnish and hang 2 to 4 new wood doors and make the frames. Someone did my other doors but looks like they cut wrong and put back together and then sawed indoors creating a real mess.

Also need a good electrician to see what is sucking so much energy giving me electric bills on only one meter of like 3,000 pesos when they used to be 800

I had put a note on the other site, 2 people were recommended, one had a bad phone number, other came by and was going to drop off a quote and still waiting for it. Looking for more options to try and hire locally.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Looking for skilled tradesman Empty Re: Looking for skilled tradesman

Post by zenwoodle Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I have a lot of experience with laminate flooring, but I do not come cheap.
I only accept payment in single malt Scotch from the isle of Islay.  Beer Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Do you have a cutter? I was looking to perhaps do that myself, supposedly there are cutters that dont generate dust and some that do angles
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 am

Spencer, I've just written to you on the other board for a trade worker.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 am

Spencer, this is the fellow we used for all our work.

ALEJANDRO (ALEX) SALAZAR GUTIERREZ CONSTRUCTION (Written estimates) (Speaks English) (Work guaranteed)
Calle Paseo de los Veleros #26A, Ajijic
Tel: 045-334-593-6417
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:59 pm

BEWARE, through my work as an attorney, I just had a case presented to me where one of the people on a thread on the other board who are being referred had a dispute with a client, the "contractor" prepared the contract and now is going to the labor board threatening the person claiming to be a simple worker and this apparently is not the first time. He appeared to knowingly prepare a weak contract to use against his clients being a worthless contract and the client would have full liabilities as an employer and he would not be deemed a contractor

You should never let an interested party prepare a contract, and especially one who is not an attorney. Also beware of referrals, some people really do not know who they are referring.

If you have work done on your home, safest bet is to get a contract called CONTRATO A PRECIO ALZADO and be careful how you make the payments and get receipts to not be tricked into having the contract negated by paying the other side as mere workers and not contractors.

I am glad I didn't hire the guy, he either had changed his number or flaked in the beginning, good for me.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:02 pm

As to your electric bill, I recently replaced my defective meter and now my bills are a third or less of what they were. So, my first thought is to get CFE workers to check and possibly replace your meter. (NOT with one of the smart meters, needless to say!) I was lucky that a couple of CFE workers actually came around testing meters, explained to me that mine was defective (which I could see at a glance once they pointed out that it was taking little leaps all of its own) and it cost me $1,000 p cash. They did not have cards or I would have taken one and referred people. But if you tell CFE that you want your meter replaced, the same 2 guys will probably show up. They were very professional and polite.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm

When I got a new meter, my rates immediately went down; not because I was using less electricity, because I was using the same amount.

How could that be, you ask. Yes I was using and reading on the meter the same amount of electricity and my rate went immediately down.

It went down for the simple reason that this was a new account and while I was paying the high DAC rate on the old meter, I wasn't paying DAC at first on the new meter. Soon though the average amount over the previous 12 months or less on this new meter put me back in DAC and my rates returned to the same amount

Remember those of you who use an average of less than 250 KWH per month over a 12 month period have their bills subsidized by CFE. Those who consume more here lakeside loose their subsidy and pay much more.

Rates vary by geographical area too
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Intercasa wrote:Looking for more options to try and hire locally.

I would give up on that idea right away - this area is too small to support a full time, custom cabinetmaker and also a marble/travertino stone installer (with diamond pad equipment). If you find a professional stone polisher, they should be able to also offer terrazzo and the newer polished concrete (very nice and affordable). The newer equipment also sucks up the demolition dust. You want someone who will arrive with a full, experienced crew which can get in, and get out quickly. Probably from Guadalajara. Probably charging an "out of town" expense. 2cents worth! Very Happy
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:54 pm

no custom cabinet makers?? what would you call the guy that made these?
Looking for skilled tradesman Kitche10
Looking for skilled tradesman Kitche11
Looking for skilled tradesman Kitche12
Looking for skilled tradesman Kitche13
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Pleasant enough - but only mediocre in execution. The finish looks like it was brushed, not sprayed (important for glossy), the hardware is of low quality (not Euro) and there is no matching of wood grains.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

the finish is glossy [did you miss the reflection?] because it was sprayed except for the finer blue trim on the drawers. yes the hardware is not high quality[we held back final payment because of that]. and the wood is underneath a paint surface so what's this silly talk of matching of wood. as a self taught maestro i know the flaws but they ain't earth shattering. in any event,there is more than one custom cabinet maker available here so on that you are out to lunch, gary. by the way our old cupboards were brushed in the same colour scheme and [gasp!] they were glossy-excellent painter he was. i have seen other work around here that was just fine too. too bad manuel dexterity isn't here on this board any more because i'm sure his company does fine custom cabinetry too. so where do you suggest one finds a maestro up to your high standards?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 am

Manuel Dexterity = Cooper on TOB. Now retired.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Looking for skilled tradesman Empty Is it better (safer?) to have no written contract and/or no written estimate?

Post by Sherman Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:14 am

Intercasa wrote:BEWARE, through my work as an attorney, I just had a case presented to me where one of the people on a thread on the other board who are being referred had a dispute with a client, the "contractor" prepared the contract and now is going to the labor board threatening the person claiming to be a simple worker and this apparently is not the first time.  He appeared to knowingly prepare a weak contract to use against his clients being a worthless contract and the client would have full liabilities as an employer and he would not be deemed a contractor

You should never let an interested party prepare a contract, and especially one who is not an attorney. Also beware of referrals, some people really do not know who they are referring.

If you have work done on your home, safest bet is to get a contract called CONTRATO A PRECIO ALZADO and be careful how you make the payments and get receipts to not be tricked into having the contract negated by paying the other side as mere workers and not contractors.

I am glad I didn't hire the guy, he either had changed his number or flaked in the beginning, good for me.  

What changes as far as the customer getting stuck if there is no written contract and/or no written estimate?
Thanks ....

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Postman Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am

I recommend Manual Salazar and brothers. 765-3797 house phone   3310624091 cell phone. Good at solving problems and projects are done to last: ie. a water barrier that prevents saltire on walls. They make sure the right materials are used for each job. They are honest, speak English or Spanish. With the Salzar Brothers you get what you pay for.  
bill

The Postman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:25 am

I've had good work for three years now from Joel Cardenas Zepeda, 331 047 5564, and his brothers. Prompt, honest, uses very good materials, brings in top notch subs for cabinets, marble and stone, iron and glass. Written estimates, prompt, and he has to be late for some reason calls and tells you. English and Spanish.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Looking for skilled tradesman Empty found a copy of the 'non-contract' this guy uses and apparently there are others

Post by Sherman Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 am

[quote="Sherman"]
Intercasa wrote:BEWARE, through my work as an attorney, I just had a case presented to me where one of the people on a thread on the other board who are being referred had a dispute with a client, the "contractor" prepared the contract and now is going to the labor board threatening the person claiming to be a simple worker and this apparently is not the first time.  He appeared to knowingly prepare a weak contract to use against his clients being a worthless contract and the client would have full liabilities as an employer and he would not be deemed a contractor

The 'contractor' (non-contractor) gives a written estimate followed by a "Deposit Payment" schedule that looks like a 'contract.' All looks proper.
The document lists the contracting parties (owners), and the contractor lists himself as a 'contractor'.

Briefly describes the 'project' and a total cost.
The projected time is listed as 'first deposit, followed by an amount and a date, and so on through the projected time of the project.

When payments are made, the "(non)Contractor" signs for the payment.

The owner(s) never sign the document nor do they get a separate receipt.

----
Somehow or another, according to Spencer, this translates into some sort of labor payments and not a contract with which to deal with construction problems, timeliness, non-payment of subcontractors, etc. The door becomes open for the 'non-contractor' to file a labor board complaint based on the perception or reality of non-payment of one of those deposits.

Based on information from one of the 'real' employees of the contractor, this is not the first time for this practice, but rather is on-going and used as needed by the 'non-contractor' to collect payments, due or not. The 'real' employee indicated that the non-contractor stops paying certain key employees and then files the labor board complaint and the 'real' employees are thereby forced to comply. But, in the end, they get paid from the outcome of the labor board complaint and final judgment.

It now appears that this one non-contractor is not the only one with this practice, but another family member (and one shared last name) is doing something quite similar with the same end result.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:43 am

Spencer, I see Gustavo did some work for you, were you happy with him?
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:53 am

Yes for plumbing and small stuff he is great! Thanks
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:33 am

Spencer's post on TOB for a skilled tradesman seems to have been removed? Anyone else notice this?

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zea Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 am

The old post on TOB is still there -- the title is "Need skilled labor"

Zea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Two names given to me as lawyers that do labor complaint work are:
Lic. Marco Velez, 333 137 8555 and Lic John Brennan (you can find his contact info online).

Lic Velez used to be lakeside, but now works primarily in Guad. I'm told he will come lakeside if needed.

Lic Brennan has a similar arrangement, but apparently has an office lakeside.

Before using either of these, I'd check with Spencer for his input and opinion.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 pm

I used a guy here on the south side and would highly recommend him. His name is Miguel, phone 333 441 0106. Highly skilled, prompt, price is fair and never comes back with "I need more" He is just a great all round albinil. He re roofed my house, re did all the floors, and bathrooms. He does a lot of work over in the San Miguel area, but is currently here at the lake and probably available. He has been re-cobblestoning ( I know, not a word) the side streets in San Luis. Ok nut said, I would recommend him.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Marco and John are good attorneys, capable and speak English well. They do charge what they are worth, might seem expensive to some, I probably undercharge but they have many years of experience, more than me.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down