INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Health Insurance for those 70 or older

+6
GBATRUCKS
CanuckBob
jschl453
martygraw
balymena
simpsca
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Health Insurance for those 70 or older Empty Health Insurance for those 70 or older

Post by simpsca Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07 pm

On another thread someone asked if there was medial insurance available for people living here who are 70 and older. I asked my insurance agent, Edgar Cedeno, and he said yes, BUT. Only if the person is in good health can they buy health insurance if they are over 70. He has insurers who will provide insurance.

So if you have a heart condition, stents, or other serious problems the answer will be no. But it is available to those who are healthy.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Health Insurance for those 70 or older Empty Re: Health Insurance for those 70 or older

Post by balymena Mon May 02, 2011 3:31 pm

we are canadians and want to travel back to canada for small visit.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE WE CAN GET TRAVEL INSURANCE TO GO ACROSS THE USA??? fran

balymena

Back to top Go down

Health Insurance for those 70 or older Empty Re: Health Insurance for those 70 or older

Post by martygraw Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Go to www.carp.ca and follow the links under travel ins.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by balymena Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm

I have called them...they say we have to start our insurance from location
in Canada. if we are presently in Mexico, which we are...they will not
insure. stupid rule, but same with other insurance companies.
any other suggestions thanks fran

balymena

Back to top Go down

Health Insurance for those 70 or older Empty Health Insurance question

Post by jschl453 Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 am

Hi:

Fairly new to this site and about to move to Ajijic area from VA. Question on health insurance. I am interested in obtaining global health insurance to cover living full time in Mexico, as well as month visit back to US and possible European travel. I am 58.

That said, my question is for anyone with experience regarding IMG - Global Medical Insurance through Copperstate Insurance? Their website is ajomexicaninsurance.com. Their rates seem reasonable, particularly for the Silver plan.

Would appreciate hearing any comments on it !

Thanks.

Last edited by jschl453 on Fri May 20, 2011 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by balymena Fri May 20, 2011 6:44 pm

REALLY IT IS ***TRAVEL INSURANCE****
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW ONE OBTAINS TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR TRAVELLING FROM MEXICO TO CANADA? fran

balymena

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri May 20, 2011 8:33 pm

I don't know anything about travel insurance but you could ask Edgar who comes to Lake Chapala Society every Tues. and Thurs from 11:30am to 2pm. He is an insurance agent and handles all types of insurance.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Actually, in looking at their website, they say it is for people living in foreign countries, not just traveling there. In fact, it permits you to choose two types of premiums, one for coverage in other countries and another to include coverage for travel back to the U.S. or Canada. Check it out:

https://www.imglobal.com//travelinsurance/plan_info/GMIP3/index.cfm?hideproducer=0&CFID=2787701&CFTOKEN=a0d86fa6e753f945-0B0E846F-2264-F52B-AA3AF2819AA0F69B

Although it says travel insurance, couldn't you use this as your normal health insurance the way they describe the benefits?

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Also, how much are private health care insurance premiums in Mexico?

This IMG is talking about an annual premium of less than $2,000 USD for a person about 60 with a $500 deductible and a few other co-insurance features, depending on the type of benefit. This would include coverage back in US and Canada while traveling, not for going there for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.

Last edited by jschl453 on Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 21, 2011 8:34 am

I was checking out these guys:

http://www.healthcareinternational.com/

Seems to be significantly cheaper if you exclude the US from their policy. For the premium policy with a $1000.00 deductible for me and my wife (48 & 58) it is 4,435.90 per year. It's over double that to include the US.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 am

Hey Bob:

Under the IMG Silver Plan ( $500) deductible, excluding US and Canada coverage saves you about 25%. According to my calculations for you and your wife's ages, it would be about $3,081 vs. $2,318.
I guess you have to measure if/when you go back to US/Canada. I would go back about one month per year, so the 25% might be worth the peace of mind. Otherwise, what do you suggest-- a separate travel policy for that one month? Might be something to consider.

Thanks.

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat May 21, 2011 9:07 am

Bob, There was some chat on Chapala.com about them and I think there are a few lakesiders who buy it. I don't know if anyone has had a claim paid. That is the real test of an insurance policy. But given your ages I would shop around lakeside also. That doesn't look like a deal given what I was paying at that age and my deductible was lower and coves "emergency" treatment in the US.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 21, 2011 10:09 am

Yes, we will definitely shop around as I'm sure there are better deals. That was the only one I had really looked at. Even that price looked reasonable to us so if we can get it for less then great. We don't need coverage for the US but would like to include Canada as that is where we would be visiting once a year or so. However it may be cheaper to just get a travel policy when we do go back for visits.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat May 21, 2011 10:31 am

The most important aspect of buying health insurance here is to talk to people who have had claims. You can see from Jim and Deb's experience you really need a good agent and find out an insurers track record of paying claims. It also helps to know what to do to see that your claim is paid - like going to an in network hospital for emergencies and getting prior approval for non emergency procedures. That is where the good agent comes in - explains what you need to do.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Sat May 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks. Do you happen to have an email address for Edgar, since I would like to purchase health insurance for Mexico prior to arriving if possible?

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Edgardo Cedeño - email address: mexicoprotect@hotmail.com

I don't know how old you are - they require physicals exams past a certain age and I don't know the cut off age. I was only 51 when I bought my insurance and I did not need a physical. But Edgar can fill you in on the details.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by balymena Sat May 21, 2011 5:26 pm

I understand travel and health is the same, with exception...health coverage one generally takes for longer durations...travel is something you take, for instance, 7 days at a stretch. Banks in Canada offer it to people
just visiting U.S. or another country.
however, again, ffor this, you must start your insurance and travel from Canada
I will go down to LCS on a Tue or Thurs to inquire. fran

balymena

Back to top Go down

Post by jschl453 Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks to you both. BTW, I am 58 and in pretty good health.

jschl453

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

The problem I saw is all those private insurance premiums keep going up as you get older....you might not be able to afford it if you live long enough. I suggest you enrol in the Mx. national program, IMSS as soon as you get here as it takes a few years to be fully vested. It's great backup for major problems and cheap...less than $400 U.S. a year depending on age. Yah, I know it's got its quirks, some people have horror stories, others swear about the hip replacements or by-passes they got under the program. Go search IMSS on mexconnect or chapala.com & see what people think.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon May 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Someone just posted this on Chapala.com about their IMSS insurance:

I had an appointment with my Doc. at IMSS today Went in at 11 and my doc told me she could not give me service and I needed to see the director. Went upstairs and the director told me I was canceled and that was it. I ask the director I have been paying in for 6 years and I needed this all in writing, the director said nothing in writing IMSS just erasers you from there computer I told her you got be joking NADA thats how they do it folks I have gone to Monica at LCS and turned my report to her and I would suggest anyone that has IMSS and has never used it you better go in and get a brief check up to see if the computer erasers you. I did tell the director that I needed everything in writing but that how they do it folks I will be going back to Monica and report this to her, she is trying to get some improvements at this local clinic
Have not decided how I will look at my health needs but I still have a few options, but when you reach 70 they seem to dwindle. I really am happy to be finished with IMSS It was one big pain in the ### to put up with there sad system Good luck and always ask for it in writing if nothing else than to piss them off
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Well one good thing about being Canadian is worst case scenario, as long as you can make the flight, you can get home, keel over in the airport and they will take care of you and worry about the details later. I'll even bet a foreigner could do the same thing. Canada won't let anyone die because they don't have medical coverage. If you can hold out, you are eligible for coverage again after 3 months of being back in the country.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm

You can do that here too, simply go to the hospital. I understand that if you give up your Canadian residency you give up your health coverage. Is that correct?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm

You can apply for a 2 year "out of country" coverage once every 5 years. After that you are cut off. If you return, you are eligible to re-join after 3 months. Canadian medical is currently about $57.00 per month. It goes down if you earn under a certain amount per year. We'll probably take the two year out of country coverage and figure it out after that.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by balymena Mon May 23, 2011 7:39 pm

yes, that is correct. even if you don't give up your residency...if you are away from Ontario for more than 7 months you have a 3 month wait for coverage. each province has it's own time limits that you must be in Canada for coverage.

balymena

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

We will not be giving up our residency however BC Medical only allows 6 months per year that you can be away. Although as I stated above you can apply for a 2 year out of country exemption every 5 years.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next