INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning.

+13
CanuckBob
Traveller
Smartalex
Oldyfeliz
Walter
David
Ms.Thang
viajero
hockables
Chapalagringa
Jim W
sparks
diamondtuffy
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning.

Post by elevator Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Check the other board for details. It's happened a couple of times in the last two weeks.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty Re: Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning.

Post by diamondtuffy Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Could you be more specific? - there are several "other" boards and I don't see it listed.

diamondtuffy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty Chapala.com webboard.

Post by elevator Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:38 pm

nm

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty Re: Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning.

Post by sparks Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:50 pm

BS
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:54 pm

elevator wrote:Check the other board for details. It's happened a couple of times in the last two weeks.

elevator, not all of us look at TOB. Please cut and paste the link for us in the future, or post the topic listed.

Gracias Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty You calling BS on my story Sparks? If so in what respect?

Post by elevator Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Anyone can go to chpl.com so I am not going to post again here.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 pm

elevator wrote:Posted Today, 04:38 PM
Just happened to us on Friday. We had a 3 car caravan, our guide and transporter in a loaded van. my wife in her car and me. We crossed through the city crossing in Laredo. Couple of blocks across a car rushes around me, pulls in front of the van and stops, blocking the street. A guy jumps out of the car and another comes out of a building with shirt on that said staff. He walks to the window and shakes hands with our guide through the window. I thought they knew each other because our guy knows a lot of folks in Laredo. My wife stayed in her car and as I got out of mine our guy comes to me and says we gotta pay $400 US dollars.. I said we just paid at the border. He says no, we have to pay these guys or they will take him and the van....and I can tell he's nervous. I said are they cartel and he says yes, the Cetas I look on the sidewalk next to the van and there is a guy there with an AK 47 raised. Luckily I had cash and paid. They were very polite and one guy had on UGA hat. I said go dogs and he laughed. BigTiki may talk big, but once the gun is up so is the jig. Our guy is very experienced crossing the border it has never happened to him before. Evidently they were watching at the crossing or a border guard tipped them off. Just glad it was only $400.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Do us a favor and post a link. Gheeeesh

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=52137
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:06 pm

So sorry that happened to you elevator and that you and your wife arrived home safely. Thank you for bravely posting what happened to you.

The thread began with this post:
777 wrote:Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:32 PM
I received a note from friends that drove in last week, Sept.25.. After crossing into Mexico, stoping to pay for importing a US vehicle for 6 months, they drove a short distance further, and a car came up along side of them and pushed them off the road to the right side road. He then took out a gun and asked for their cash. They gave him cash and he drove away. I'd suggest, as a precaution, you might want to drive in the left lane.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Where did you find your Guide?
Why did you find your Guide?

I suspect you were Conned....

Try to Avoid anyone Who Offers To Help You... especially the ones Hanging Out Around Immigration

Get A Map
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 pm

hockables wrote:Where did you find your Guide?
Why    did you find your Guide?

Try to Avoid anyone Who Offers To Help You... especially the ones Hanging Out Around Immigration

Get A Map

I am with you Hocks! I have never thought about hiring a guide at the border. In all my border crossing trips, never run into anyone hustling "GUIDE" service! Either a major con job, or creative writing! Twisted Evil
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Did he say anywhere that he hired a guide at the border???? Where's that, I missed it. Put your reading glasses on folks
elevator wrote:our guide and transporter in a loaded van

Why would you think anyone would make that up?  People hire people or ask for Mexican friends to travel "guide" them all the time.  When we first moved to Mexico, quite often we had Mexican friends that traveled with us and still do to this day.  In fact, I rarely travel alone anywhere, speak rather good gringo Spanish and have lived here over 10 years.  

From what was written on TOB, it's a hit and miss driving through the Laredo crossing right now.  I wouldn't send any friends or family through that border crossing at this time but people will do what they want, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat hehe
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:Did he say anywhere that he hired a guide at the border???? Where's that, I missed it. Put your reading glasses on folks
elevator wrote:our guide and transporter in a loaded van

Why would you think anyone would make that up?  People hire people or ask for Mexican friends to travel "guide" them all the time.  When we first moved to Mexico, quite often we had Mexican friends that traveled with us and still do to this day.  In fact, I rarely travel alone anywhere, speak rather good gringo Spanish and have lived here over 10 years.  

From what was written on TOB, it's a hit and miss driving through the Laredo crossing right now.  I wouldn't send any friends or family through that border crossing at this time but people will do what they want, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat hehe

Lori... I only said " I suspect " you have been conned.
and the first one I would look at is the stranger you allowed into your travel plans...
Seems unlikely a coordinated stop like that would happen randomly.

I'm crossing there next week... I'll let you know what happens.
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:30 pm

Moved to the Crime Section.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:50 pm

hockables wrote:Where did you find your Guide?
Why    did you find your Guide?

Get A Map

I admit hiring someone at the border that you don't know would be completely unsafe, but I didn't read that into his post. Be safe Hocks! Have we ever read that going out to the US at the border has been a problem? I'm thinking it's only coming in to Mexico as I recall, anyone else recall differently?

Our snow birds are starting to trickle down, I hate to read this kind of stuff.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:03 pm

I so apologize Pizza lady! I have never heard of hiring a "Guide and Transporter" for a convoy of 3 vehicles From Laredo into Mexico!

Color me stupid if you will! Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. 477249
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:25 pm

Jim W wrote:I so apologize Pizza lady!  I have never heard of hiring a "Guide and Transporter"  for a convoy of 3 vehicles  From Laredo  into Mexico!

Color me stupid if you will!   Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. 477249

No harm, no foul Big Guy.... just sorry something like that happened to The Elevator Guy...
Newbies are sometimes easy to spot... and I suspect someone saw him coming...

Everyone always says Cartel... Cartel... maybe... maybe not
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Consider yourself pardoned by the pizza lady.  We all know you call it how you see it, no problemo.  

We've traveled plenty on our own with and without Mexicans but it's not unheard of to have someone lead the way.  Call it stuck on terminology.  If elevator would have written, I had my Mexican son in law meet us at the border to caravan down with us, ya'll wouldn't have thought a thing about it, right?  

Years are becoming a blur at this point in time and it's seems the months are just flying by so can't remember exactly when this happened.  We had some acquaintances that caravanned down with their "Mexican son."  It was pretty awful when they were stopped by cartels out from the Reyanosa border.  It really was only by God's grace they got away but it was a hairy ordeal, there were kidnapping threats and robbing threats and they were praying!  Since then that couple has moved back to the states, they didn't stay for too long.  At that time it was known that the Reyanosa border was the one to avoid and their caravan included some pretty nice big toys.  He had a golf cart deal that looked like an atv hanging off of a new red truck pulling a loaded down flat bed trailer.  It was like a welcoming sign for trouble.  

Our first trip from Laredo more than 10 years ago we were pulled over right after passing the last check point at the border.  Our plan was to travel all night, which we pretty much did.  My husband and I were learning Spanish and the culture, we had one adult Mexican friend with us and a loaded van full of gifts from a little shopping spree in the US.  Two "cops" pulled us over for nothing but to search our van.  When I caught one of them searching my purse off to the side, I yelled at him! "HEY!"  He had no right or business doing that.  We were upset by the incident and the delay but didn't pay them anything.  Later down the road we were thankful for the inconvenient stop.  It poured rain heavily up ahead, a bull had been hit and there had been a several car pile up that we missed.  

Call it a women's intuition but the last time we traveled down with a trailer, I didn't feel too good about it but the worst thing that happened was a flat tire.  Trailer's gone now and we're permanent residents eligible to be Mexicans soon so no worries about those long border runs, I'd much prefer to fly than stress about it.   I bet it's been over 4 years since we've driven to the border or even been in the US. Wow!

But this other that the op is writing about is a heads up! We all appreciate that!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 am

Whether Elevator was scammed by the guide or not, it is still valuable information for everyone to know.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty We did not hire a guide at the border, he came up from lakeside to Atlanta to haul our stuff

Post by elevator Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:42 am

and to tow my wife's car. He was highly recommended by several people from lakeside and saved us much time and aggravation. He had numerous opportunities to rip us off for a lot more money. We stayed in Matahuala at Las Palmas and met a very nice Mexican gentleman and his son from S Miguel by the pool. I invited them to join us for dinner as it was our anniversary. They were saddened by our story and bought dinner for my wife and I and our mover. That is why I love Mexico. I guess I could have made it plainer who was with us, but some folks here are quick to postulate their wisdom as compared to others. I lived in Mexico 40 years ago and in several other countries. I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Stuff happens and you deal with it.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 am

If you read some of elevator's previous posts on ToB you'll see that he had planned this move for some time and that the guide/driver was highly recommened by people at Lakeside,it sounds he had some bad luck,glad it wasn't worse.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm

elevator wrote:and to tow my wife's car. He was highly recommended by several people from lakeside and saved us much time and aggravation. He had numerous opportunities to rip us off for a lot more money. We stayed in Matahuala at Las Palmas and met a very nice Mexican gentleman and his son from S Miguel by the pool. I invited them to join us for dinner as it was our anniversary. They were saddened by our story and bought dinner for my wife and I and our mover. That is why I love Mexico. I guess I could have made it plainer who was with us, but some folks here are quick to postulate their wisdom as compared to others. I lived in Mexico 40 years ago and in several other countries. I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Stuff happens and you deal with it.

Once again... I was suggesting you had been conned... nothing more
There are more hustlers and con men at the border than gun toting cartel.
I'm probably wrong, as you know your " guide " so well....
I was quick to speculate the stranger in your midst played you....

sorry... my bad

glad ya made it Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:01 pm

It doesn't really matter if they were Zetas or not but I wonder if the cartels ever say they are cartel when they are doing a stickup like this? Wouldn't a guy standing on the sidewalk with an assault weapon be enough of a threat? Seems like they usually just carve a "Z" on your forehead er something when they are done. Um, that is me just thinking out loud , I guess.

I am also glad you made it and I am delighted to hear that the rest of your trip was pleasant . It is very important to share these kinds of experiences, it could help someone else.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Had a run-in with cartel in Nuevo Laredo crossing Fridy morning. Empty They could have been the litle sisters of the poor with an AK 47 and I'd pay.

Post by elevator Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 pm

I didn't hear them say who they were, but my guy said Zetas. Don't know if he was guessing, knows their territory or they told him.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:00 pm

The Zetas are known for much more violent actions.  Things must be tough if they're pulling over motorists.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next