INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area?

+3
Chapalagringa
hockables
MyrnaMinkoff
7 posters

Go down

Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area? Empty Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area?

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi Everyone!

Our family is getting ready to move to Lakeside, as soon as our house in Bend, Oregon sells.

We hope to find sources to buy organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken in the area. Can you share any websites or forums or information about this topic?

Are there some great health food cafes in Lakeside?

Thanks so much!
~Mary
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area? Empty Re: Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area?

Post by hockables Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Welcome to Mexico.... there are about 100 chickens runn'n around out on the street... u want one, I won't tell Beer

Biggest problem with the veggies around here is the fertilizer might be a little too fresh... wash & sanitize them... always .

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area? Empty Re: Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area?

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 pm

So not really any specialty organic markets ...  or cafes that you know of?

I think we'd start our own organic veggie garden...   and I would think chicken and beef are more free of tainted ingredients than in the good old USA.    But would love to meet up with some vendors who at least make the effort to be known for that!

Thanks for any thoughts that come to mind!!!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:25 pm

:) Hocks, you're suggestions are always most helpful, hehe

The organic market is set up on Tuesdays 10-1? i think. There are a couple of venders that offer organic meat, I believe. I know you can get lamb's meat for sure. There's also a gentleman that sells organic whole milk and honey, his ranch is across the lake. I can imagine he may sell organic beef. Regarding the organic chicken, I'm not sure.

There's an organic gardening group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489823371240855/

Tabarka Restaurant has a large organic garden:
https://www.facebook.com/tabarka.restaurant?fref=photo

When was the last time you were here for a visit Mary?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:55 am

The Farmer's Market on Tuesdays has a lot of organic produce.  A lady sells good lamb there.  For both organic beef and lamb see Maggie at the Friday market (same location as the Tuesday Farmer's market).
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi David! Great to meet you here in the forum!
Wow... the Tuesday market will be something to look forward to each week! And we love lamb!!! Terrific! I hope we'll run into each other there!
Probably a couple of months away from everything fitting into place for the move!
;-)))
Mary
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi!  We're from Oregon too, lived in Bend just prior to moving here in 2005.  Contact me on the board via PM when you arrive.  Or even before you arrive if I can offer any advice or assistance.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:51 pm

The Tuesday Market has vendors for organic chicken as well as lamb. The lamb vendor sometimes has beef. Vendors also sell eggs, cheese, all sorts of vegetables, some fruits, honey, bread, pre-made foods... A wonderful resource. Many of the vendors are not certified as organic because of the cost, but do farm organically and the produce is farm fresh.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi Flamingo!
Great to know of this wonderful resource (the market) for healthy fresh foods!!!
Glad to hear lamb is usually available... we love it!
I once had a work associate tell me when he was going to have allergy testing, that his doctor said nobody is allergic to lamb, so he could eat lamb before the test. I have always remembered this!
;-)))
Mary
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:42 pm

the lamb at the market is crap. i was used to buying whole lamb in alberta and cutting it up myself. lamb is not tough and the lamb here is so it ain't lamb. soriana now sells chuck steak lamb again which is real lamb but not a great cut. the lamb lady had the temerity to tell me i ain't cooking it right. cook real lamb any way you want and it ain't gonna be tough. i do it rare.
tango has a good rack of lamb and i keep promising myself that i gonna ask where they get theirs.
you can get fresh meat and other things,veg, fruits at the chapala mercado every day. just like shopping in europe. that's what we do and only once a month at wally world or soriana fer cleaning stough, real charcoal and some other supper market type food.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi Pedro!

Thanks for getting back! I do know what you mean... poor quality lamb is just aweful! Hey we'll check out Tango and let the pro chefs do their magic!

I've never been on a "bike" like yours but love the notion of the open road! What are some of your favorite 1-3 day trips from Lakeside? I love the backroads... but probably will do so in our car... ;-))

Cheers!!
Mary
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:55 pm

i'm to wrecked to do any long trips any more and my 61 year old beezer don't like back roads. mezcala manana for cervezas and tacos. nice short trip with some amigos
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:55 pm

In this part of Mexico, beef is probably not corn fed and the meat is not aged and therefore it is tough . If you go into a butcher shop here they usually only have three or four cuts of beef available. Arrachera is marinated flank steak and is the most tender and flavorful beef available.  Most Mexicans seem to get their beef sliced very thin and then after it is cooked on a BBQ, it is chopped up in small pieces for tacos.  There is also carne con chili made with beef (what we would call Chili Colorado in the United States).  Mexican hamburger has very little fat in it so it is not very flavorful.  You should make friends with a butcher and then you can get cuts and the type of meat you want.

Some of the local restaurants that cater to gringos have steaks imported from Argentina, Brazil and the United States. Of course, since these are imported, they are expensive.  There are also meat stores that have imported meats and fowl and game meat.

I was brought up in Central Oregon in Redmond but I haven't been back up there for over 50 years. I would be interested in meeting you when you get here and hearing about the changes there. I am thinking about going up there for the solar eclipse that happens on August 21st 2017.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

Good luck and have a safe trip down here.

mariachi
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:48 am

Hey Papa Chango! Thanks for filling us in on the beef! I have a very nice tenderizer, and it sounds like slow cooking in a dutch overn might be helpful! Is the lamb a little more tender in general? Besides chicken, is turkey commonly found in the markets?
Is there a good place to buy fish?
Thanks and yes... we''ll definitly meet up when we get settled... Bend and Redmond have both grown and have all the amenities of most big cities... which in a way makes them a big less charming. But the scenery, good weather and outdoor activiites are just fantastic!!!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:14 am

Turkey is available by order anytime and the holiday season at Puritan Poultry. They also have some of the best fresh chicken and eggs.  You can always get frozen turkey at walmart and costco.  There mulitple fish markets.  IMHO, the best one is Pacifico in west Ajijic.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Great to know! Thanks David!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm

There is an open pit barbecue place located on the western outskirts of Jocotepec where you can get lamb and a lot of other meats cooked on rebar spikes around the fire .  The lamb is very good and that is usually what I get when I eat there. You can even get quail there but they do not cook chicken. I think the reason they don't cook chicken is that there are many other places available where you can get barbecue chicken.

Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area? Shared_photo

mariachi
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:57 pm

it really is an excellent place! we usually get the mixed platter to share.Can organic veggies, grass fed beef, and free range chicken be purchased in the area? June_210
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:50 am

Thank you for sharing this great photo! It's obviously a congenial group! Hope we can drop by one day and join you for a cerveza at the local hangout!
Our move plans are slowing down... it seems we lost the selling season here in Bend... so thinking we'll be back in the limelight to sell around May. Maybe we'll just sneek down soon for a visit though!
Enjoy!!!
Mary and Paul... moving when we can to Lake Chapala!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down