INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great recipe website: Yummly.com

Go down

Great recipe website:  Yummly.com Empty Great recipe website: Yummly.com

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:31 am

I've been warmly welcomed by all, and had some fun conversations with Chapalagringa about cooking at high altitude, so I am dedicating this post to you Chapalagringa and hope that all of you will enjoy the info.

www.yummly.com is like the "google" of recipe websites.  It is a search engine that pulls together top cooking websites and filters down to what you have in mind to cook that day.   This week I wanted to make a nice chili, and I love to add pumpkin, so I put "beef chili" (grass fed of course) in the main search bar.  In a filter field on the top left you can "add" ingredients you want in your recipes, so I added pumpkin.  Below that is another field where you can list ingredients that you do not want in your recipes.  Yummly searches and narrows down to give you a group of perhaps 30 recipes...   and they all have star ratings from real live folks...   so you can skip the 3 star recipes that weren't so successful and go straight to the 5 star winners.

I now keep my laptop on the kitchen counter.  On most of the recipe websites that yummly works with, such as foodnetwork.com or epicurious, you may need to register in order to view the full recipe.  Then you will find that most sites allow you to save your favorites there, so you can find them in the future easily.  Or you can pdf them and put into your own folder for future use.  Almost all of the sites allow you to change the font size and to eliminate stuff you don't want to keep, such as nutritional value (once I've read it, I prefer to have less clutter on my screen).  I make the font as large as I can, so I can see as I move around my kitchen from stove to sink to counter.

I used to have hundreds of cookbooks.  It was one of my favorite things to collect.  When we moved from SoCal to Bend almost 10 years ago I sadly had to part with about half of them.  Now I am packing up our house in Bend, in anticipation of our move to Lake Chapala, and I will part with the rest.  A friend who was helping me the other day laughed out loud when he grabbed Martha Stewart's first cookbook...   she looked like a preppy college freshman of the early 70's ...  perhaps dressed as a bridesmaid?  Anyway, into the box it went.  I hope the libarary has use for these great oldies but goodies! I really never look at them now that I am online with Yummly!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down