INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published

+17
kb9gzg
islandiver
Mainecoons
Zedinmexico
zenwoodle
slainte39
Smartalex
hockables
oncesubtle
Pogo
viajero
sparks
Lady Otter Latté
Rosa Venus
Flamingo
ltollefs
Oldyfeliz
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published Empty Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published

Post by Oldyfeliz Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:17 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/12/03/ayn-rands-early-novel-ideal-to-be-published-after-80-years/

This should be very interesting and a best seller

Oldyfeliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published Empty Re: Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published

Post by ltollefs Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Oldyfeliz wrote:http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/12/03/ayn-rands-early-novel-ideal-to-be-published-after-80-years/

This should be very interesting and a best seller

I've never seen dreck defined quite that way.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published Empty Re: Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published

Post by Flamingo Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:02 pm

I refer you to John Oliver's brilliant piece on Ayn Rand
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldyfeliz Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:22 pm

A lousy video, no matter what the subject.

BUT, Ayn Rand sold more than 25 million books. and there has been a renewed interest on college campus , especially for the novel "Atlas Shrugged"
Most critics have never read her works, only heard that she was
conservative, and that is enuf for some people

Oldyfeliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Oldyfeliz wrote:

And THAT is complete horseshit.

Critics for decades and decades have read her work and debated it much. And so have I. I remember re-hashing it in University.....and, well, that was a while back. Of course she's still popular and a book-seller. Her themes are perpetual.

I was even a champion of hers when I was young. And then I moved out into the real world and opened my eyes.

You use words so loosely. "Conservative". You don't even seem to know what that one means.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Oldyfeliz wrote:A lousy video, no matter what the subject.

BUT, Ayn Rand sold more than 25 million books. and there has been a renewed interest on college campus , especially for the novel "Atlas Shrugged"

You mean there are at least 25 million more people on this planet that think like you?  How many copies and how many people have read "Mein Kampf"?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 pm

To say that "most critics" of Ayn Rand have never read her is just ridiculous.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 am

Her last name was Koch ... no?
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:12 am

Rosa Venus wrote:
Oldyfeliz wrote:

And THAT is complete horseshit.
As is just about everything oldinfeliz posts.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 am

Flamingo wrote:I refer you to John Oliver's brilliant piece on Ayn Rand
Thanks for the video,her suggestion that Native Americans have no right to live in America was priceless.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldyfeliz Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:57 pm

You assume that you know my values when I posted this, but in no part have I stated any ofmy beliefs, except about the
fact that most critics of Political issues do not know much about what they are criticizing.
ie, the critics of Rush Limbaugh do not listen to him, the critics of DrudgeReport are unaware that the website is only links to news issues(Liberal & Conservative)
But since I did read your responses, I think that I understabd a part of you...
As I stated , I think the works will be interesting & probably sell several million copies.(One for me, that I will read)

Yes , I know what "A Conservative" means! It means what I am today after my Liberal experience<
Thank God for LBJ

Oldyfeliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:To say that "most critics" of Ayn Rand have never read her is just ridiculous.

Perhaps. But it is not ridiculous to say that most critics - including some of the truly bright lights in this conversation - have never understood Rand. Largely because most of them do not know how to do simple literary analysis. In my 27 years as a Professor of English Lit, I heard many of these absurd arguments about Rand in general and Atlas Shrugged in particular so often that I designed a course in literary analysis using Rand's works. (It was very popular and in a few cases enlightening.)

In any event, here is what I and a bunch of other scholars determined to be the theme and ultimate message of Atlas Shrugged based on standard literary analysis.  

Atlas Shrugged says that when governments and institutions that are supposed to protect and serve the individuals in society become so corrupt and dysfunctional that they only wreak havoc and destruction, then the creators, the inventors, the visionaries - the Atlases of society - should neither fight against the corruption nor continue making their contributions. Instead they should simply quit. The result will ultimately be that the culture of greed and depravity that is left behind will eventually fail and destroy itself. Then those Atlases can return, pick up the pieces, and through their creativity and ingenuity, rebuild a society wherein the worth of the individuals and their contributions will be honored, respected and protected.

Now we can argue about two things here: whether or not the analysis is correct, and/or whether or not the message is correct. If on the other hand, you simply want to sling mud or carry on with the nonsense about Rand being a conservative or a communist or an anti-capitalist or a whatever, go ahead. There really are no rules in bar fights.

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:38 pm

I think Animal Farm is more the reality of those who come into power
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Shocked Above my Pay Grade..... I will say her read on Government would be Bang On
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:10 pm

oncesubtle wrote:I think Animal Farm is more the reality of those who come into power  

Amen! Especially if we look at what is currently going on - and not going on - around the police brutality incidents in Ferguson, New York, Cleveland, and - ta da! - a new one today in Phoenix. Yup, another unarmed black man shot by a white policeman because the cop thought he had a gun in his pocket and was reaching for it. According to the policeman, he didn't actually see a gun, but he shot him just in case. Better safe than sorry, don'tcha know.

I lived in the Detroit in '68. I saw what happens. God help us.

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Pogo wrote:

Atlas Shrugged says that when governments and institutions that are supposed to protect and serve the individuals in society become so corrupt and dysfunctional that they only wreak havoc and destruction, then the creators, the inventors, the visionaries - the Atlases of society - should neither fight against the corruption nor continue making their contributions. Instead they should simply quit. The result will ultimately be that the culture of greed and depravity that is left behind will eventually fail and destroy itself. Then those Atlases can return, pick up the pieces, and through their creativity and ingenuity, rebuild a society wherein the worth of the individuals and their contributions will be honored, respected and protected.

Oh yeah, now I get it: "Turn on, tune in and drop out."
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Smartalex wrote:
Pogo wrote:

Amen to that too! Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published 169387

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Pogo wrote:
Smartalex wrote:
Pogo wrote:

Amen to that too!  Ayn Rand's Original Novel to be Published 169387

But this is not the takeaway that fans of Rand get from reading her "dreck," as it was so accurately described earlier in this thread. To them, Rand offers a philosophical rationale to justify their own greed and selfishness.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldyfeliz Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Pogo,
That is not exactly what was published

The Man was selling drugs and the neighbors called the Police. The Police arrived and asked the man to put his hands up.  The man turned and ran into the hallway of an apartment complex, where an
altercation began.  The man put his hand into his pocket and the Policeman (as per training procedure) put his hand on the man's hand to keep him from drawing (what the Policeman believed to be a gun, because he could feel a round object that he thought was the gun handle.  The Policeman told him to leave his hand in his pocket, but the man began to withdraw his hand and the Policeman shot him. The object was a bottle

All of these incidents the victim has been engaged in illegal activities and the Police have been called.
All four have refused to obey Police commands.

Oldyfeliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:05 pm

And that warrants the death penalty?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Resistance is futile, and sometimes fatal. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogo Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:05 am

Oldyfeliz wrote:Pogo,
That is not exactly what was published

The Man was selling drugs and the neighbors called the Police. The Police arrived and asked the man to put his hands up.  The man turned and ran into the hallway of an apartment complex, where an
altercation began.  The man put his hand into his pocket and the Policeman (as per training procedure) put his hand on the man's hand to keep him from drawing (what the Policeman believed to be a gun, because he could feel a round object that he thought was the gun handle.  The Policeman told him to leave his hand in his pocket, but the man began to withdraw his hand and the Policeman shot him. The object was a bottle

All of these incidents the victim has been engaged in illegal activities and the Police have been called.
All four have refused to obey Police commands.

And you believe what was published? And you accept it as evidence that justifies shooting people?

I thought we were generally all in favor of supporting the constitutional right to trial by jury to decide these things. And I thought that we steadfastly upheld the idea that the accused are innocent until proven guilty. That seems to be true for Jared Loughner who was successfully subdued and arrested after he shot and killed 19 people in Tucson. Also true for James Holmes who was successfully subdued and arrested after he shot and killed 70 people in a Aurora Colorado movie theater. Also true for Col. Nidal Malik who was successfully subdued and arrested after shooting and killing 43 people at Fort Hood, Texas. These guys are still alive and awaiting trial for what they unquestionably did. These guys weren't jaywalking, stealing cigars, selling loose cigarettes, or sitting in a car outside a store maybe selling drugs. These guys had guns blazing and were killing people - lots of people. And the police managed to arrest them without shooting and killing them.

Michael Brown won't get a fair trial for what he ALLEGEDLY did. Neither will Eric Garner, or Rumain Brisbon, not to mention the twelve year old, Tamir Rice. They are dead - killed by cops. Their trial was over before it began.

Seems to me we have pretty clearly lost our perspective on equal justice under the law. And just in case you didn't see the Eric Garner murder video, have a look at this one just to get the flavor of what passes for police service and protection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-uOXzhUZE

Pogo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:40 am

Kill this none are going to be convinced by the others.  Waste of time. If you want to read the book do so. If you don't than don't.  Better FAIRER conservative writing is available in my opinion. I also think much liberal writing is crap also.  Folks in the middle continue to be screwed and the republican party continues to drive me to the Demos where I am not completely comfortable at all but what choice do we middle folks have? Hold your nose and pick one evil or the other.  Whats a Nelson Rockefeller republican going to do in a tea party republican world?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:37 am

Some of you and Pogo may find this an interesting read:

http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/how-to-reduce-police-violence-eliminate-nanny-state-crimes/?utm_source=wysija&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mailing+List+Saturday+9+AM

Too many laws? IMO, yes along with way too much government in general. Sadly, it seems Mexico is rapidly headed in the same direction along with jacking up taxes at every turn.

Personally speaking, I've found that both of those political parties are responsible and I've turned libertarian in my old age.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:51 am

Mainecoons wrote:I've turned libertarian...

...with an overwhelming control-freak impulse. No hypocrisy there. Rolling Eyes
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next