INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake...

+6
Zedinmexico
Minervajt
brigitte
Pedro
Zea
elevator
10 posters

Go down

Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake... Empty Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake...

Post by elevator Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am

but would like some trails if there are some around. Don't mind driving a bit to get there.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake... Empty Re: Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake...

Post by Zea Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:12 pm

At the top of Colon in Ajijic is a trail with the stations of the cross, leading to a shrine. The trail also continues on from there.

Zea

Back to top Go down

Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake... Empty Re: Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake...

Post by Zea Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 pm

And if you are more ambitious, here are some more trails in that area:
http://www.amigosdelago.org/around/ajijic_hiking.php

Zea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Zea wrote:And if you are more ambitious, here are some more trails in that area:
http://www.amigosdelago.org/around/ajijic_hiking.php
wow! that should keep anybody busy.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:31 pm

If you go to the end of Tempisque in Las Salvias you can hike to the top of the mountain where you have a beautiful view and some type of ceremonial ground for the Huicholes.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Minervajt Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 am

Considered safe these days?

Minervajt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:53 am

Zea wrote:At the top of Colon in Ajijic is a trail with the stations of the cross, leading to a shrine.  The trail also continues on from there.

A walking stick is nice for coming down. Its a little bit of loose rock. Yes it is safe during the day not sure anymore at night. Another set of paths are at the end of Tempisque past the big cell phone tower on the hill.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:11 am

Minervajt wrote:Considered safe these days?

Safer than the carretera when the borrachos are out. Safer than walking on  cobblestones, especially at night.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:27 am

Minervajt wrote:Considered safe these days?

Depends somewhat on whether you're male or female. There have been some problems for single female walkers on the trail going to the chapel in the past. May also depend on the size of your dog. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake... Empty Thanks to all and I also tried a place someone on the other board mentioned...

Post by elevator Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:59 pm

You take a left off the carreterra by a small furniture store in Riberas and go to the end of the road. There are a couple of trails up into the hills. If you go up all the way and cross over you will see the librimento. It's a tough go the first several hundred yards due to loose stone and there are a couple spots where the trail is narrow with steep cliffs to one side. Once at the top there are some farm roads that are easier going.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:38 am

Suggestion to O.P.:

Remembering an incident of a couple of years ago involving a lady who wen hiking on her own and had some serious problems with a Mexican male, I think you should think about the below.

Either go in a (small) group or have some form of protection with you. And unless your dogs are Dobies, German Shepherds or Pit Bulls, don't count on them to be a deterrent. IMO of course.

You might want to consider a Taser.

I think this "advice" applies to a man or women.

But don't let fear control you, just use common sense.

Enjoy.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:59 am

Then there was my friend in Joco who was hiking the hills above the bypass with her FIVE big dogs and 2 men came up from behind her, showed her their 9mms and steel-toe boots, took her to the ground with a neck pinch, and asked politely for the keys to her car.

They took her kayaks and her Jeep, left her without her glasses, shoes, and leashes and used the keys to try to enter her house. That part was unsuccessful.

GAWD, I miss good, safe hiking.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:31 am

Trailrunner wrote:Then there was my friend in Joco who was hiking the hills above the bypass with her FIVE big dogs and 2 men came up from behind her, showed her their 9mms and steel-toe boots, took her to the ground with a neck pinch, and asked politely for the keys to her car.

They took her kayaks and her Jeep, left her without her glasses, shoes, and leashes and used the keys to try to enter her house. That part was unsuccessful.

GAWD, I miss good, safe hiking.

I read about that incident.  There's very differing opinions about how useful dogs can be for personal or home protection.  When the attacker has a gun, I'd say you're vulnerable whether your dog is a spaniel or a mastiff.  IMO, going hiking alone in unpopulated areas is taking a risk.  I'm with Trailrunner in missing the freedom of safe hiking, walking at night and a few other things that used to be better.  Or maybe we were just luckier. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Looking for a place to hike/walk my dogs. I know about the malecons and along the lake... Empty I'm 6'3 about 220, not that it would discourage someone with a gun, but I probably won't

Post by elevator Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm

be sexually assaulted, or harassed. I carry a walking stick.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:53 pm

elevator wrote:be sexually assaulted, or harassed. I carry a walking stick.

Right, big guy.  I have few mental scenarios that range from tragic to hilarious if you meet a 5' tall guy with a gun.
But never mind..........a walking stick should take care of any chance encounters of the strange kind.  Buen Suerte.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Hola Gringal! Would be GREAT fun to go hiking with you! Probably ain't gonna happen though. I am thoroughly spoiled when it comes to hiking, having spent most of my life in Hawaii, CA, Lake Tahoe, and southern OR, hiking straight up these dry, scrubby, crumbly, scorpiony, rattlesnakey, trails-to-nowhere around here - meh - big whoop. Yeah, the vistas are nice. . . as stated, I'm spoiled.

I will add to my story above and add another story. On the story above, not one of her 5 dogs stuck around for the encounter but scampered on ahead running playing while she was being accosted and laying on the ground. If you think your doggie might be a deterrent, you might want to think it through a little more. The European man who was 'detained' and had his dog shot and killed in front of him on the Tepalo trail should be enough information for anyone.

A couple of years ago my best hiking buddy Larry and I were celebrating the onslaught of the rainy season by slogging up muddy trails above Joco on the south shore side of the lake. It was GORGEOUS. We had my small doggie with us. There were waterfalls, vistas, running water, and creeks everywhere we looked. Paradise. As we got higher and higher, I suddenly became aware of a noise that made my blood run cold. Twigs were breaking in the woods not very many feet from us and we were being followed. I got scared! There was no one else around but cows. I whispered to Larry that I thought we were being followed and he shrugged it off. We went a few more meters and were debating crossing a gate when I looked into the woods and saw a campfire that had been freshly extinguished and still smoking. Larry became a believer, and we rapidly descended the mountain.

And really, the perp doesn't even need a gun, a sharp machete would do. I know a woman snowbird who was hiking the south shore trail with her friend when they were accosted and forced to perform sex on a crazy guy at machete point even after throwing down her wallet. Her friend ran and hid until dark in a milpa.

Don't hike alone, especially women, and don't depend on your dog protecting you. There are hiking groups which would be safer, I hike now with 2 others and a bigger dog and feel a bit safer.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Hey, spoiled one:  I've done my share of hiking all over the place in CA, but not all by my lonesome. Dogs are good company, but that's about all they're good for in the clutch.  We had a bunch of weirdos hanging out in the hills near where I lived and some of them were on stuff that made them see things, so going it alone was just a bad idea. Happily, there were others to hike with.

Nowadays, I'm a pussyfoot with a bad back and the malecon is about my speed.  The big guy in my family goes with.........and he's much better company than a walking stick. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Hah!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down