INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those of you who hate Wal Mart...

+14
kb9gzg
zenwoodle
Flamingo
ltollefs
viajero
slainte39
arbon
hockables
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
gringal
DaveP
Gamina
addtocart
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

For those of you who hate Wal Mart... Empty For those of you who hate Wal Mart...

Post by addtocart Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 am

In today's news, Soriana has bought out most of Comercial Mexicana.  That will mean that without Wal Mart, prices would be going sky high.  Harken back to the "good ol' days" when Soriana was the only game in town.  You think prices are high now?

Anyhow, the next time you begin your rant about how evil Wal Mart is, give a thought to the only thing keeping prices down.  Competition.  And one of the three big players appears to have gone.
addtocart
addtocart
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

For those of you who hate Wal Mart... Empty Re: For those of you who hate Wal Mart...

Post by Gamina Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:27 am

What, you think Walmart is going away? The building will not be empty. Even with a name change, Soriana will have competition.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

For those of you who hate Wal Mart... Empty Re: For those of you who hate Wal Mart...

Post by DaveP Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:41 am

addtocart wrote:In today's news, Soriana has bought out most of Comercial Mexicana.  That will mean that without Wal Mart, prices would be going sky high.  Harken back to the "good ol' days" when Soriana was the only game in town.  You think prices are high now?

Anyhow, the next time you begin your rant about how evil Wal Mart is, give a thought to the only thing keeping prices down.  Competition.  And one of the three big players appears to have gone.

The Mexican people are Soriana's client base. They will decide if the prices are too high and just shop elsewhere.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:53 am

What's to hate about Walmart?   Before they arrived, we had a choice of Superprice and a trip to Soriana.  At first, the veggies at Walmart were a disgrace and many items expats want weren't available.  As I heard it, they replaced the manager with a more customer-friendly one; the produce is looking pretty good and aside from having to keep a sharp eye at the prices on the shelves as opposed to those at the checkout stand.............it's kind of like shopping at Safeway in the States.   Superlake became more competitive and shopping life became easier for us.  So, everybody "hates" Walmart, but I seem to run into a lot of expats when I'm there.  I shop at all three places, depending on what I'm looking for.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:54 am

addtocart wrote:In today's news, Soriana has bought out most of Comercial Mexicana.  That will mean that without Wal Mart, prices would be going sky high.  Harken back to the "good ol' days" when Soriana was the only game in town.  You think prices are high now?

BTW what is the Walmart connection with Commercial Mexicana?

CM is connected with Costco, Bodega and Mega and a bunch of smaller stores. No mention of Walmart that I can see.

Check Wikipedia for Commercial Mexicana
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Actually Costco is connected with Mega and Walmart is connected with Bodega.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:14 pm

gringal wrote:What's to hate about Walmart?   Before they arrived, we had a choice of Superprice and a trip to Soriana.  At first, the veggies at Walmart were a disgrace and many items expats want weren't available.  As I heard it, they replaced the manager with a more customer-friendly one; the produce is looking pretty good and aside from having to keep a sharp eye at the prices on the shelves as opposed to those at the checkout stand.............it's kind of like shopping at Safeway in the States.   Superlake became more competitive and shopping life became easier for us.  So, everybody "hates" Walmart, but I seem to run into a lot of expats when I'm there.  I shop at all three places, depending on what I'm looking for.

Why do people hate walmart.

History my dear.

In Canada they put stores in three places and economically killed all the drug stores than shut down one of the new stores and people had to travel 20 miles to shop
and than to add to the pain they raised all the prices.
Walmart was guilty of slave labor more or less with it contracted janitorial staff.
Walmart has a huge number of lobbyists with abnormal influence.
In my town they tried to blackmail the community threatening litigation if we wouldn't let them in town. We raised money for a PR campaign and they left with tail between their legs.
Telling employees if they don't make enough money to go on welfare. State Welfare agencies were in essense subsidizing Walmart low paid employees.

These are not nice people in my opinion. Not sure any of these type of folks are nice but Walmart folks are worse.

Walmart is hated for many more reasons than these. I admit I shop there because I walk. I can't walk to Soriana's. I admit the company is acting better but still I hold my nose when I shop at Walmart.

Yes the company is better than it use to be and yes I do shop at walmart but I don't have to like it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:19 pm

I believe Costco sold off its Mega shares a while ago but can't remember any details. The article I read said Soriana's bought Mega and commercial.  They both have the orange square signs with a pelican on the sign so they are related I believe.  We have Mega foods in the Seattle area with the same sign.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:35 pm

people are funny

don't like it... don't go... who gives a shit

as far as prices ... appears you haven't left your little bubble lately...

in the NEWS today, a box of condoms costs $800 dollars in Venezuela... their rubber factory burnt down..
might be an terrific opportunity for our entrepreneurial members here...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 pm

hockables wrote:people are funny

You are absolutely correct if it irritated me that much I wouldn't go to Walmart.

People are funny including myself.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:46 pm

hockables wrote:people are funny

in the NEWS today, a box of condoms costs $800 dollars in Venezuela... their rubber factory burnt down..
might be an terrific opportunity for our entrepreneurial members here...

Another hoax.

The actual price is 23 dollars for a 36 count box of condoms. They make it sound like people are paying almost 800 bucks for 3 condoms, FAIL.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:59 pm

gringal wrote:What's to hate about Walmart?

The amount of corruption involved in getting some of their stores located in Mexico, in violation of US (home country) laws.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm

My dear Zed:  People who "hate" Walmart should hate capitalism in all its manifestations.  There are no benevolent huge corporations that I know of.

They will throw employees under the bus for no reason other than that they have worked long enough to earn too much money.  They can replace U.S. workers with cheaper foreign workers.  And so on.  Sound familiar?

Life in the corporate world is based on which dog can consume the most of the pile.  Such is the way it is.  Walmart has just been more efficient and ruthless than some others.  Do I approve of such ethics, or lack of them?  No, but it matters not a whit to the movers and shakers of our world.  So, the consumers get their cheap Chinese goods; employees get sup par wages and the beat goes on.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:01 pm

In Saskatchewan (where ever that is ) Ambulance cost: Depending on the health region, $245 or $325 + $2.30/km
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:07 pm

gringal wrote:My dear Zed:  People who "hate" Walmart should hate capitalism in all its manifestations.

ALL?....that's a mighty big world, when compared to a company that has KNOWN violations of ethics and laws.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:23 pm

arbon wrote:In Saskatchewan (where ever that is ) Ambulance cost: Depending on the health region, $245 or $325 + $2.30/km

.......and like WalMart.... the Health Regions are looking to maximize profits.... so they only hire drivers with pending DUI Proceedings and pay em Half Rate Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:34 pm

How about the greatest percentage of, rather than "ALL"?  That works for me anyway.  Some of them just haven't been caught; some haven't been large enough fish to interest the fishermen in authority.
I especially like the ones who make sure nobody works enough hours to get benefits.  
As in many other things......it's not what's right; it's what they can get away with.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:42 pm

arbon wrote:

Another hoax.

The actual price is 23 dollars for a 36 count box of condoms. They make it sound like people are paying almost 800 bucks for 3 condoms, FAIL.
The Venezuelan government just arrested two executives of a retail pharmacy firm,.why?because they allowed long lines to form outside their stores supposedly in an attempt to destabilize the economy.All those oil revenues and you have to wait in long lines to buy toilet paper,..when it's available. The Venezuelan government is a bad joke.
They could use a few WalMarts down there.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:57 pm

arbon wrote:In Saskatchewan (where ever that is ) Ambulance cost: Depending on the health region, $245 or $325 + $2.30/km

I lived in Saskatchewan for 7 years (2007 - 2014). Took a 35 Km ride in an ambulance at 3am. All costs covered by Province. Nothing special here, just good old socialized medicine. Lived in San Jose for 2 years (1999 - 2000). Took a 12 Km ride in ambulance up Hwy 101. Cost $1000+ dollars. 5 days in hospital, 45000+ dollars. Having to tell my doctor that my arm was broken: Priceless. USU, USA, USA!
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:36 pm

ltollefs wrote:

I lived in Saskatchewan for 7 years (2007 - 2014). Took a 35 Km ride in an ambulance at 3am. All costs covered by Province. Nothing special here, just good old socialized medicine. Lived in San Jose for 2 years (1999 - 2000). Took a 12 Km ride in ambulance up Hwy 101. Cost $1000+ dollars. 5 days in hospital, 45000+ dollars. Having to tell my doctor that my arm was broken: Priceless. USU, USA, USA!

ambulance fees in your province

Ambulance costs in Canada

How much an ambulance costs:

British Columbia $50 if treated on scene; $80 if transported to hospital
Alberta $250 if treated on scene; $385 if transported to hospital
Saskatchewan Depending on the health region, $245 or $325 + $2.30/km
Manitoba Depending on where you are in the province, the cost ranges from $270 + $3/km to $530
Ontario $45 if medically necessary, $240 if not medically necessary
Quebec $125 + $1.75/km
New Brunswick In New Brunswick those without private insurance don't pay ambulance fees.
Nova Scotia $142.30
Newfoundland and Labrador $115
Prince Edward Island $150
Yukon No out-of-pocket charge to patients
Northwest Terroritories No out-of-pocket charge to patients
Nunavut No out-of-pocket charge to patients
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:37 pm

In addition to Zed's list, the WalMart business plan of having products made especially for then - make them cheaper, make them LOOK like the better quality product. You buy something at WalMart, essentially you are buying a knock-off. For not that much less.

The NY State Attorney General is investigating the health food supplement market and found that WalMart and GMC products frequently not only didn't contain the ingredients the label listed, they often didn't contain any of the primary ingredient listed on the label.

No WalMart for me.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Can someone refresh my memory?
Is Walmart providing ambulance services now?
Or is this really about the missing ponies? Beer Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:05 am

slainte39 wrote:

The amount of corruption involved in getting some of their stores located in Mexico, in violation of US (home country) laws.

Wal-Mart de México y Centroamérica, is a Mexican-based public corporation. It has been traded in the Mexican Stock Exchange since 1977 (as Cifra).[1] The company was founded in 1952 as Cifra by Jerónimo Arango, Wal-Mart de México y Centroamérica is the biggest retail company in Latin America.

1962, Sam Walton opened the first Walmart store in Rogers, Ark.

1994 Walmart expanded into Canada with the purchase of 122 Woolco stores.

zenwoody "Can someone refresh my memory?
Is Walmart providing ambulance services now?"

For those of you who hate Wal Mart... Walmart-300x274
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:46 am

arbon wrote:
ltollefs wrote:

ambulance fees in your province

Your source is quite recent, while my ride came in 2008. I can't say whether or not there was a charge, but I do know I didn't pay it. Most likely covered our medical insurance if the rates you posted were in effect then. You could well be correct on this.

My post was really a dig at the quality of care I received at the hands of Stanford Hospital during my stay. Having some snot nosed, scabby kneed resident humor me by x-raying my arm only to find that it was in fact broken, and his complete dismissal of the situation, was unexpected. After recovering fully, I vowed never again to ride a motorcycle into the back of a Ford Econoline.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:02 am

Flamingo wrote:

In addition to Zed's list, the WalMart business plan of having products made especially for then - make them cheaper, make them LOOK like the better quality product. You buy something at WalMart, essentially you are buying a knock-off. For not that much less.

Example Walmart brand Pasta. Literally unedible. Never thrown away pasta before never!
Ran back to Barilla.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next