INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship

+6
Mcee
Lobo2626
lunateak
hockables
cane
Rolly
10 posters

Go down

Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship Empty Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship

Post by Rolly Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:46 pm

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1983238,00.html?hpt=T2
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship Empty Re: Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship

Post by cane Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:09 pm

So if Americans give up their citizenship, does that stop them being extradited for tax evasion.

(if they pick a suitable country)

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship Empty Re: Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship

Post by Rolly Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:16 pm

They can be in trouble for tax crimes before renouncing their citizenship. But after they are no longer citizens, they no longer owe taxes to the US on their foreign income. That is part of the reason for renouncing.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Rolly wrote:They can be in trouble for tax crimes before renouncing their citizenship. But after they are no longer citizens, they no longer owe taxes to the US on their foreign income. That is part of the reason for renouncing.

I was thinking of their American income that they moved out of the States.

This is about Swiss ETC' bank accounts.

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 pm

I wuz wondering... Is it just a false sense of patriotism, that someone would interpret " greed " as motive for leaving one's homeland ... as opposed to bettering one's prospects for himself and that of his family?

"Greed " missused...missunderstood... to often used by chickenshit nonuthings that are too afraid to come out from under their rock!!

Greed" a prime motivator... my personal favorite vice ...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:47 pm

hockables wrote:I wuz wondering... Is it just a false sense of patriotism, that someone would interpret " greed " as motive for leaving one's homeland ... as opposed to bettering one's prospects for himself and that of his family?

"Greed " missused...missunderstood... to often used by chickenshit nonuthings that are too afraid to come out from under their rock!!

So where do you think "Greedy" and wealthy" people live and retire?

And where do you think "chicken shit" people live and retire?

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:00 pm

1: Anywhere they want

2: Under there own personal rock

A sign I laughed like hell when I first read it:

"There are those that make things happen..."
"Those that watch things happen..."
"Those that just wonder what happened..."

Words are true!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Poor Hockable! Let me see if I understand your position.
Greedy people are simply misunderstood by the people who failed to seize the opportunity to screw their fellow man. And people who fail to screw their fellow man are chickenshit know-nothings.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Hockables,

A sign I laughed like hell when I first read it:
"There are those that make things happen..."
"Those that watch things happen..."
"Those that just wonder what happened..."

Words are true!!

Still having trouble getting your beer shirt washed?

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:25 pm

My son, at 23, is a fourth year apprentice pipefitter... Who did he screw??A friend who recognised a need for enviormentally friendly ways to handle medical waste started a company and did just that... Who did he screw??
Actually most businesses are formed around needs... thatz how they become sucessful... Who did they screw??
The guy who just changed your broken window... Who did he screw??
The guy in the honey wagon who just hauled your shit away.... Who did he screw??
Shiftless, lazy, whiney, chickenshits....who spend their time concerning themselves with what others do to get ahead... yup, yer right ... nobody ever accused them of being Greedy...

I wuz half joking... but only half...

Don't feel to sorry for me... I'm not that poor....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 pm

lunateak wrote:Poor Hockable! Let me see if I understand your position.
Greedy people are simply misunderstood by the people who failed to seize the opportunity to screw their fellow man. And people who fail to screw their fellow man are chickenshit know-nothings.

For your edification.... I did not say people were missunderstood....
I said Greed wuz misunderstood.... Put down the Gin and pick up your glasses...
If ya wanna fire at me, at least read it!

And speaking of enterprising industrious peoples... yer Hookers... Who did they screw?
Bet ya can't prove it...

I did infer, the folks sniping away at those who work to better themselves and their families were not spending their time productively...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 pm

hockables wrote:My son, at 23, is a fourth year apprentice pipefitter... Who did he screw??A friend who recognized a need for environmentally friendly ways to handle medical waste started a company and did just that... Who did he screw??
Actually most businesses are formed around needs... thatz how they become sucessful... Who did they screw??
The guy who just changed your broken window... Who did he screw??
The guy in the honey wagon who just hauled your shit away.... Who did he screw??
Shiftless, lazy, whiney, chickenshits....who spend their time concerning themselves with what others do to get ahead... yup, yer right ... nobody ever accused them of being Greedy...

I wuz half joking... but only half...

Don't feel to sorry for me... I'm not that poor....

Phew, but you had us worried there for a while thinking of you moving in and "There goes the Hood" and painting over our "Artistic endeavors".

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lobo2626 Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 pm

hockables wrote:I wuz wondering... Is it just a false sense of patriotism, that someone would interpret " greed " as motive for leaving one's homeland ... as opposed to bettering one's prospects for himself and that of his family?

I'm with you Hock. People wonder why we moved to Mexico and left our homeland. Easy. We can afford to live in Mexico. If that's greed, then so be it. I'd rather they think I'm greedy than have to let them support my ass. They call it greed. I call it pride.
Lobo2626
Lobo2626

Humor : Pardon me if I don't laugh at your joke. There are very few I haven't already heard and I don't laugh just to be polite.

http://www.lrafferty.net

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:18 am

Making a living producing something benefits society. Raping the economy to line your pockets is greed.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcee Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:35 am

lunateak wrote:Making a living producing something benefits society. Raping the economy to line your pockets is greed.

Not only "...raping the economy..." but raping those seniors who lost everything in Madoff (sp.) swindle.

Mcee

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:38 am

Mcee wrote:
lunateak wrote:Making a living producing something benefits society. Raping the economy to line your pockets is greed.

Not only "...raping the economy..." but raping those seniors who lost everything in Madoff (sp.) swindle.

That is a good point, (about "GREED") because the Madoff investors had to prove that they would not (hopefully) need to take out any of the 12% interest.

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:51 am

Mcee wrote:

But I would choose to call them Thieving Bast#rds as I think it's more accurate...

Raping the economy to line your pockets is greed.[/quote] Nope...

Greed... I believe is a motivator... inspirator...( sorry thatz not a bad thing )
Raping the economy is Callous & Irresponsible.... qualities many " greedy " people don't have...
I know lots of greedy people.. they are easy to understand... in fact I have respect for many of them... it's the shiftless, lazy, nonuthing little shits I can't abide...
Greed ... unchecked & unfettered would be a bad thing... but like everything else... too much of anything is bad... too much water and U drown 😢

This is why I say the nature of Greed is often misused or missunderstood
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Overweening greed was/is the motivator for big business to take their plants overseas in order to be free to underpay their employees and avoid paying taxes. I would say that was greed.... big time! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by prestonway Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:22 pm

bobnliz wrote:Overweening greed was/is the motivator for big business to take their plants overseas in order to be free to underpay their employees and avoid paying taxes. I would say that was greed.... big time! Lizzy
Sorry to be contrary, but is the business simply paying the prevailing wage rate & applicable taxes in their new country?

If you agree, then employees are NOT really being "underpaid" and tax avoidance is something we ALL do if we can help it.

Does a finite supply of resources, both human and physical, not migrate to their ultimate utility? In other words, labour & capital move to where they can best be used.

Some view it as greed...I view it as basic economics as having owned my own business for over 20 years.

I really would love NOT to pay my call centre employees $13.00 hour plus benefits...maybe someday that can change. :affraid: :affraid:
prestonway
prestonway

Humor : Sorry...grumpy

http://www.simonsaysroses.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:07 pm

bobnliz wrote:Overweening greed was/is the motivator for big business to take their plants overseas in order to be free to underpay their employees and avoid paying taxes. I would say that was greed.... big time! Lizzy

Big Businesses who move overseas.... greed?

The decisions to make such a move are likley done by a board rather than an individual, who will no doubt be answerable to shareholders ( quite possibly, someones pension fund )....

Personally, I would rather see industry remain at home...

Why do you suppose governments allow their domestic industries to do so?
Couldn't they restrict access to domestic markets to companys who move??

I still think there are many better words to use to describe this than greed?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Looks like our members have different opinions on the definition of "Greed".
How about "one of the seven deadly sins" for a start?

My take on it is that it's not about honest ambition, being rewarded for hard work or enjoying the fruits of your labor. Greed is when there is NEVER enough, and the individual doesn't care what he/she does to get more, even it's illegal or immoral.

What governments do about companies moving their operations overseas where there is a cheap labor pool not subject to OSHA-type regulations.......is a matter between the legislature and their lobbyists.
That's an issue that could be heatedly discussed all day, with no resolution. When a plant in a one-industry town closes and ships the operation overseas .......is it Good Business or Callous Disregard?

Can you imagine the uproar if the Government tried to prevent it from happening? Tricky lines here.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:57 pm

I think we should "out source" the government. Surely we could get the same amount of work done for a lot less cost.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Let's outsource it to the Swiss. They seem to have successfully cornered the money. Why some expats are giving up their USA citizenship 87465

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:30 pm

OK. Maybe the new employees aren't "overpaid" by local standards, but the harm done to the towns they desert and the callous attitude they often employ towards their workers is a direct result result of caring more about the bottom line than they do about their employees' well being. The stockholders deserve a fair return for their investment, but not as a result of unethical practices. We'll just have to learn to be happy with a bit less of a dividend. L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down