INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My home was broken into- what is the process?

+7
CanuckBob
slainte39
sparks
Marrell
Pedro
Semalu
creating
11 posters

Go down

My home was broken into- what is the process? Empty My home was broken into- what is the process?

Post by creating Thu May 21, 2015 8:50 am

I just moved into a new rental house in Chapala. It was broken into while I was gone last night and some things taken. I don't speak good enough Spanish to explain what is missing to the police nor do I know the process. I wasn't here at the time. Now I am wondering what I do next? Are there police that speak English well enough to understand me? Do I just go in and make a report to the police or do I call and have them come to my place like in the USA? I have renters insurance so I have to give them a report. Any advice?

creating

Back to top Go down

My home was broken into- what is the process? Empty Re: My home was broken into- what is the process?

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 21, 2015 8:58 am

You do not involve the police at this point. You need to file a report with the Ministerio Publico (MP) which is the legal arm that investigates all crimes and files all charges. The police are only here to prevent a crime or stop one while in action. I believe they have some English speaking people at the MP's office or get a translator to assist you.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

My home was broken into- what is the process? Empty Re: My home was broken into- what is the process?

Post by Semalu Thu May 21, 2015 9:01 am

CBob, Maybe if you know where the OP can find the MP's office that would help too? Apologies, I would give the address myself but am drawing a blank.

Semalu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 am

Juárez 575, Chapala Centro, 45900 Chapala, Jal., Mexico
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 am

you will definitely need a translator with you. we are using spencer. you should really determine if it's worth the $'s. our insurance agent talked us out of house insurance because as he said:you can replace the stolen objects for far less than paying premiums and maybe not getting anything from the insurance company. burglars usually only take small stough that they can carry.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Thu May 21, 2015 9:23 am

Ministerio Publico is scheduled to be at LCS next Wednesday, May 27th from 10 - 2
in the Talking Books room by the back patio. There is always an English speaker
to help take your report. Arrive early as they tend to leave early if no one is waiting.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu May 21, 2015 9:29 am

How did they get in and fix it. Must be a weak point in your security. Reporting it is only gonna take your time and energy
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am

sparks wrote:How did they get in and fix it.  Must be a weak point in your security.   Reporting it is only gonna take your time and energy

But he has insurance which usually requires a report in order to file a claim.  A trip to LCS would probably be the cheapest (no translator required), unless you think there is evidence or witnesses, leading to the intruder, at the scene, which would be better handled with a MP investigator coming right away.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am

Also, what part of Chapala do you live in? Others in the area may want to be aware.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu May 21, 2015 12:52 pm

The insurance company will also want proof that you owned the missing items: Original receipts will do. Good luck!

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 21, 2015 1:34 pm

I was in an insurance office a while back and the owner was arguing with a policy holder because his house had been broken into and she had processed the claim but hand delivered a check to the tennant . He said it was his policy and most of the stolen items were his, she pretty much told him to just suck it up. After that she commenced to blow me off on my car insurance claim .

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Thu May 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't not believe you can make a report to the MP people that come to LSC.

It also takes a long time to make a report and you may have to make more than one trip if serial numbers on items are needed.

The chances are slim and none from what I am told of you ever getting anything back and most people, if they don't have insurance, simply take the loss as experience.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu May 21, 2015 2:04 pm

YES you can make a claim to the MP at LCS. That is why they come every month. And not reporting only means the MP doesn't know the extent of the problems. Will it magically return all your stolen items - almost certainly not. Is it worth doing - absolutely.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 21, 2015 3:13 pm

It also doesn't hurt to let the Police Chief in Chapala know about it so he can maybe step up patrols in the area. Just don't invite them to your home.....go and see him at the station.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down