INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making my list and checking it twice !

+17
juanrey
brigitte
Lady Otter Latté
hockables
pamarie
mattoleriver
tictoc
Pedro
Rosa Venus
David
viajero
Intercasa
CanuckBob
RVGRINGO
sparks
gringal
Woody
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Making my list and checking it twice ! Empty Making my list and checking it twice !

Post by Woody Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Friends, we are so excited about moving to Joco first of Septiembre. We're not total newbies to lakeside as we have visited my in-laws lakeside for many years. My wife's mom first moved there in the 60's !  We're not moving down with any furniture. Only the basics. Here's my condensed list.

* Clothing*
* Kitchen gear*
* 2 Flat Screen TV's*
* 2 Laptops*
* Tool Box*
* Bedding,sheets,towels,blankets*
* Voltage Regulator, 2 small UPS's*
* Cell phone, Ooma VOIP box*
* Mini Weber Kettle Grill and a couple bags of charcoal*
* A small box of personal treasures*

That's about it so far.  

What pops out to you as "must have" for most anyone..

Thanks !
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Making my list and checking it twice ! Empty Re: Making my list and checking it twice !

Post by gringal Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Sounds okay if you already have all that stuff, but most of it can be purchased locally if you don't.
If you happen to have a cast iron piece of cookware, bring it. Very expensive and hard to find here.
Good luck on your journey and welcome!
mariachi

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Making my list and checking it twice ! Empty Re: Making my list and checking it twice !

Post by sparks Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Extra 100% cotton bedding as it's not always easily available ..... and queen is an odd sized mattress. I'm sure there are exceptions but Soriana and Walmart always had King, Double and Single. Mattress pads as well

I buy mine at Second Hand stores every time up north
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Why carry charcoal?

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:40 pm

sparks wrote:Extra 100% cotton bedding as it's not always easily available ..... and queen is an odd sized mattress.  I'm sure there are exceptions but Soriana and Walmart always had King, Double and Single.  Mattress pads as well

I buy mine at Second Hand stores every time up north

Wal-Mart in Ajijic has queen sized items. They don't have double, they have matrimonial.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:48 pm

Remember Mexican bedding sizes can vary from NOB sizes as mattresses here are shorter.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:06 pm

I just bought a king size set of Elegant Comfort sheets from Amazon,very soft and breathable,38 dollars including shipping.

RV' s right there is no reason to haul charcoal to Mexico.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:42 pm

There's no reason to haul any of that stuff down if you didn't want to. There's nothing on that list that can't be purchased locally other than the small box of personal treasures.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:01 pm

I'd bring all except the charcoal. Clothing is expensive here as are bedding and kitchen stuff. I brought all of my hand tools and hand-held power tools. When you get her would you rather be using your tools to get your home in order or out shopping for tools, bedding, clothing and the like?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Well, we all agree that the charcoal is unnecessary.

Woody hasn't mentioned if he's moving into a rental that's furnished, or a bought a place, or what. So beyond that, I have no idea what to suggest.

And to Spencer's point, I almost bought a Queen Sized bed down here from a private party who'd never used it, then I noticed it was 4 inches shorter that the US Queen sized bed I had, so even bed linens….who knows.

Generally, those categories that are "available", but much more expensive here, are the things I'd bring down: Quality clothes, linens and towels, tools, all important kitchen tools if you cook, etc. Over all, I'd say the list looks pretty smart and good.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Really appreciate the feedback. Good heads up on bedding,size differences, cast iron cookware, etc.. Everything on the list we own now. I went back and forth on buying some of those items after we arrive but heck there's little re-sale value on any of it here so since we're driving down I figured might as well bring it. The tools are special to me as some of them were my dads. My sister-in-law has a huge,wonderful home on the hillside in Joco where we can stay short term. Plan to take our time and are hopeful to find just the right furnished long term rental. Oh, the charcoal.. We're coming from Seattle and plan to do some camping along the way.. I prefer camp cooking with charcoal over LP !  If you think of anything else let me know.. gracias de nuevo.. Thumbs up
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Woody wrote:I went back and forth on buying some of those items after we arrive but heck there's little re-sale value on any of it here so since we're driving down I figured might as well bring it. The tools are special to me as some of them were my dads.

Exactly. If you already own it and there is room in the car, bring it. And DO NOT sell the tools that belonged to your dad, at least the ones that will be useful here. (Some may not be useful here, don't know what the tools are.) Not only do they have emotional value, those tools are much better made and crafted than than the tools that are for sale today, here, or anywhere else for that matter.

I covet a friends "heritage tools" and I'm not even a tool person. The stuff available today is junk.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:56 pm

i brought all the tools and shop equipment that i didn't sell so i have a complete woodworking shop and mechanics tools. got the work tables here and built the shelves in my shop for hand tools paints etc.
you will get real mesquite charcoal here and i did bring my weber.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:04 am

Woody,if you like to read open a library account in Seattle and bring an e-reader.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:13 am

you can borrow real books from the american legion,lcs and magana fish and chips in riberas. there may be other places too.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:30 am

Pedro wrote:you can borrow real books from the american legion,lcs and magana fish and chips in riberas. there may be other places too.
With the library accounts my kids set up for me in LA and San Francisco I have free,easy 24/7 access to over 100,000 books.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic has a special room where books from the main library end up and are for sale very cheaply. Sometimes, they have a big "book sale" and there's plenty to take home even more cheaply. No membership required. If you're a member, the main library is free. They also have a video rental library. Not free, but reasonable.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:13 pm

gringal wrote:Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic has a special room where books from the main library end up and are for sale very cheaply.
Yep,sometimes they have as many as a hundred old books for sale..I used to make regular book runs to Ajijic from Guadalajara,now with a Kindle those trips are no longer necessary.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:46 pm

gringal wrote:Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic has a special room where books from the main library end up and are for sale very cheaply.  Sometimes, they have a big "book sale" and there's plenty to take home even more cheaply. No membership required.  If you're a member, the main library is free.  They also have a video rental library.  Not free, but reasonable.
Unfortunately most of it is adult reading and not very much for the kids... Thumbs down

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:16 pm

viajero wrote:Woody,if you like to read open a library account in Seattle and bring an e-reader.
 Right on Viajero.. I have King County account and I'm 90% an eReader.. My wife is old school and it's paper only for her !  Good to have options for sure.. Very Happy
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:47 pm

I really wish I'd kept my Seattle City Library Card with me when I moved down so I could use it…..and I don't even have an e-reader yet. I'm a hold out, but it's becoming inevitable, especially living here.

tictoc, don't know the age of your kids, but there are some English Language books at the Wilkes Library in Ajijic that are for children. Not a lot, but some. Get 'em an e-reader…I doubt e-books are limited to adult publications, but what do I know? I don't even own one yet!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:I really wish I'd kept my Seattle City Library Card with me when I moved down so I could use it…..and I don't even have an e-reader yet. I'm a hold out, but it's becoming inevitable, especially living here.

tictoc, don't know the age of your kids, but there are some English Language books at the Wilkes Library in Ajijic that are for children. Not a lot, but some. Get 'em an e-reader…I doubt e-books are limited to adult publications, but what do I know? I don't even own one yet!
Thanks, great to know. We have several smart devices and two different county's library cards so we are up on the online reading stuff. My wife wants them to have paper stuff so thanks for the information. We will check it out!!!

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:13 am

Rosa Venus wrote:I really wish I'd kept my Seattle City Library Card with me when I moved down so I could use it <snip>

Rosa Venus, maybe your library account is still valid unless you closed it on purpose.. If still active then setting you up for eReading is pretty straight forward.  Might be worth a call to the Library.
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks for that tictoc. I´m far too lazy to pro-actively close an account as benign as a library card, so maybe I´ll look into it, if I ever buy an e-reader!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:Thanks for that tictoc. I´m far too lazy to pro-actively close an account as benign as a library card, so maybe I´ll look into it, if I ever buy an e-reader!
It would be crazy for your library to loan books that are not compatible with Kindle. Amazon has free Kindle apps for just about anything with a screen. With the appropriate app you could read on a tablet, phone, laptop, etc. No e-reader required. I would not be too surprised if Nook, or others, had similar apps.
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next