INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon

+10
juanrey
borderreiver
gringal
suegarn
viajero
CanuckBob
ltollefs
slainte39
Zedinmexico
pamarie
14 posters

Go down

Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon Empty Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Well I have made it finally to Lake Chapala! So excited to be here now that I'm beginning to feel somewhat back to being myself again. Not a great journey to get here but I am here safe and sound by the grace of God! Fortunately after 3 trailer tires blew out no accident happened and many stops by the police to check on the papers for the trailer, smooth sailing across the border in Del Rio, we made it to Lakeside safely. I am now living at Lolita's Inn in a great little apartment right in the midst of Ajijic and couldn't be happier. I have to buy a car though and was not sure if I have to have a Mexican drivers license to do that or if just having a US drivers license is okay. I posted a question on this to see if anyone can help answer this for me. I am finding it quite hard to get things done without a car. I can't ride the bus with my knees in as bad condition as they are I can't get up on the first step to the bus, so I will be taking a taxi until I buy a used car. I would appreciate any helpful information on who is reputable and what the rules are in regards to owning a mexican plated car. In advance thanks to anyone who replies with helpful information.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon Empty Re: Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Yes you can buy a car with a US drivers license. No problem.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon Empty Re: Arrived after long grueling journey from Oregon

Post by slainte39 Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:22 pm

recommendations......
S & S used cars in Riberas del Pilar and another location about a block away.
Both have very good reputations.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm

pamarie wrote:...but I am here safe and sound by the grace of God! Fortunately after 3 trailer tires blew out...

Thanks for the laugh!
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:22 pm

How long did it take you guys to get here??
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm

CanuckBob wrote:How long did it take you guys to get here??
LOL,Oregon to Chapala by way of Texas?
Three tire blowouts.
And he didn't want to "overnight in Mexico", even though he's moving to Mexico...
Sounds like tictoc should have checked his tires...and a map..

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:17 pm

viajero wrote:
Three tire blowouts.
And he didn't want to "overnight in Mexico", even though he's moving to Mexico...

Viajero, who are you talking about? The OP is Pamarie, not tictoc! And she never said anything about not wanting to 'overnight in Mexico'

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:23 pm

suegarn wrote:
viajero wrote:
Three tire blowouts.

Viajero, who are you talking about?  The OP is Pamarie, not tictoc!  And she never said anything about not wanting to 'overnight in Mexico'
Well,she had mentioned that she was hitching a ride  down with tictoc who said he that he didn't want to "overnight"in Mexico.... Rolling Eyes

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:21 pm

First let me be clear I did do a ride share with Tictoc and company, but the trip was very grueling because we drove pulling a trailer way over the weight capacity so the car kept overheating and the heater had to be run to bring the temp down which happened quite frequently. So the ride was very uncomfortable for everyone. Tictoc did all the driving except for a short break from two of us taking two turns each to drive outside of Mexico. He didn't foresee having the drive be so rough as it was, no one could have known what the roads would be like given the weather and winds. Most of it was up hill climbing a mountainous terrain and some pretty bad roads, construction and gps would give us some weird round about directions a couple of times, combined with bad winds going gainst us. We did stay the night in Saltillo and San Felipe which was a unique experience in itself. He hoped to get to Mexico originally by the 19th but we arrived here on the 23rd late PM. Lots of reasons for getting here so late. Yet we weren't trying to race to get here either, we didn't have to be here by any particular deadline. I feel we were very blessed to arrive as safely as we did and I give Rictoc all the credit for that. He did a great job driving rough some rough terrain and weather under the circumstances.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 pm

At least you all arrived safely.
Welcome to Mexico!
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Glad you made it safe and sound. Enjoy. I am confused regarding purchasing a mexican plated vehicle. Can the holder of a tourist visa (180 days) buy a car ? I've bee reading about proof of residency (CFE bill, etc.). Clarification ? Thx.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Glad you made it safely pamarie, that's the main thing.
Yes you can buy a car on a tourist visa Borderreiver, I did it a month after I got here, and my wife did it a little over a year ago.
I don't think pamarie is on a tourist visa, but that won't matter.
S&S no longer helps you buy used cars (I think) as they work mostly with new car purchases and the dealers in Guad. It's still a good deal, but no help in used cars unless they have something on their lot.
I'd suggest checking out Beg, Borrow or Sell group on Facebook. It's a closed group, but they'll let you in and I see used cars on there all the time. Worth checking it out.
Glad you made it safely, I'm sure we'll chat sometime soon.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Thx juanrey. I think i slid into that facebook page via a TOB posting. There were some interesting car sale postings. Should have saved that facebook page thingie. Oh well
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:54 am

You do not need a Mexican's drivers license to buy a car here. Other things are involved, do a search.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/785666514831385/
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:29 am

The name of the group on FB is Beg Barter Buy and Sell.
Do a search within FB and ask to join, they keep the group closed to avoid spammers and will also remove people that abuse the intent.
A lot of folks advertise lots of stuff including cars.
It is quite popular
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 am

Also on Chapala.com there is a automobile for sale section in their classified area..That is unless our notorious a-hole MC doesn't delete it!!

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by barbicheesecake Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am

Glad you are here. Welcome to Mexico. Bienvenidos!
barbicheesecake
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Welcome pamarie and tictoc.  I read your posts about preparations and sent you good vibes. drunk

Your story reminds me of our trip from Canada in December/January 2013.  Pulling an overloaded trailer through the very busy and stormy Snoquamie (sp?) pass in Washington and blew a trailer tire in the snow.  And the Grapevine in California...yikes.  I patted the dash and told our old "Bella Burro" (our Durango); "just get us there and I promise you can retire and never be cold again."
We can laugh about it now...you will too...
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down