INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dia de los muertos make up

+7
viajero
RVGRINGO
Flamingo
Twonk
saege007
brigitte
WDBarr
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dia de los muertos make up  Empty Dia de los muertos make up

Post by WDBarr Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Does anyone know where to get the make up (especially the white face) used for Day of the Dead?

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Dia de los muertos make up  Empty Re: Dia de los muertos make up

Post by brigitte Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Do you mean Halloween?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Día de los muertos is NOT Halloween.

Try the makeup store on madero near the corner of flavio romero.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks saege007..I was not aware Mexicans put on white makeup for the Day of the Muertos..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:52 am

Day of the Dead is not the same as Halloween. It is a custom that dates much further back in history, to the Aztec harvest festival, and has become a part of the Catholic tradition in Mexico. Have you seen the Calaveras Catrinas, elegantly dressed skeletons? This tradition is not as old, dating to the 19th century. Last year we spent the weekend in Guanajuato and young women from the university were parading around town dressed as Catrinas. This year we are spending the weekend in Patzcuaro where the most famous Day of the Dead ceremonies are practiced. Learning about the history and traditions of the people of Mexico is part of the joy of living here. BTW, Day of the Dead coincides with All Saints Day and All Souls Day, Nov 1 & 2, not October 31.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Twonk Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:05 am

You have only to look up at the current header photo on this web board right now to see the Catrinas in their white base coat of makeup.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:31 am

I wish I were as knowledgeable about the customs as you are. Must be nice to be that involved in the Mexican culture...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Twonk wrote:You have only to look up at the current header photo on this web board right now to see the Catrinas in their white base coat of makeup.

I believe the header photo is of Zombies from last year's Thrill the World. This year's Zombie event will be held Saturday, October 24, 2015, Ajijic Plaza. Great fun and well worth attending.
http://ttwajijic.blogspot.mx/
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:25 pm

That is one zonk for Twonk. :)

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:26 pm

brigitte wrote:I wish I were as knowledgeable about the customs as you are. Must be nice to be that involved in the Mexican culture...
Every year on el Dia de los Muertos we visit a panteon in Tonala where some of my wife's familiy are buried and light a candle,but I've never seen anybody there wearing white make-up..

Last edited by viajero on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:28 pm

brigitte wrote:I wish I were as knowledgeable about the customs as you are. Must be nice to be that involved in the Mexican culture...

cheers
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Twonk Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Flamingo wrote:
Twonk wrote:You have only to look up at the current header photo on this web board right now to see the Catrinas in their white base coat of makeup.

I believe the header photo is of Zombies from last year's Thrill the World. This year's Zombie event will be held Saturday, October 24, 2015, Ajijic Plaza. Great fun and well worth attending.
http://ttwajijic.blogspot.mx/

No, its not. Zombies and Catrinas are entirely different things and if you click on your own link to see the main photo there you can see that easily.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Viajero you need to immerse yourself in the culture a little more than you have and then you would know about white faces..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:27 pm

brigitte wrote:Viajero you need to immerse yourself in the culture a little more than you have and then you would know about white faces..
Yes,you're probably right about that.
Speaking of white faces,Porfirio Diaz used to use a white makeup base to make himself look more European..

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:57 pm

I guess he got his wish in the end and got buried there where we celebrate the Day of the Dead by going to the cemeteries and cleaning and decorating the graves with the last flowers of the season the chrysantemums.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:22 pm

brigitte wrote:I guess he got his wish in the end and got buried there  where we celebrate the Day of the Dead by going to the cemeteries and cleaning and decorating the graves with the last flowers of the season the chrysantemums.

Diaz died in exile, in Paris, and is buried there.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:07 am

WDBarr wrote:
brigitte wrote:I guess he got his wish in the end and got buried there  where we celebrate the Day of the Dead by going to the cemeteries and cleaning and decorating the graves with the last flowers of the season the chrysantemums.

Diaz died in exile, in Paris, and is buried there.

I believe that is what brigitte is referring to.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:21 pm

yes wdbarr he is in Paris whee all Saints Day and the Day of the Dead are celebrated so what is your point?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:10 pm

[quote="brigitte"]yes wdbarr he is in Paris whee all Saints Day and the Day of the Dead are celebrated so what is your point?[/quote

Sorry, Brigitte. I did not realize until now that English is your second language.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:39 pm

WDBarr wrote:
brigitte wrote:yes wdbarr he is in Paris whee all Saints Day and the Day of the Dead are celebrated so what is your point?[/quote

Sorry, Brigitte. I did not realize until now that English is your second language.
Brigitte,speaks three languages and is learning a new one.
How many languages are you fluent in,WDBarr?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Just what I thought you have no point just annoyed because I called your bs regarding your great knowledge of the Mexican culture.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:10 pm

brigitte wrote:yes wdbarr he is in Paris whee all Saints Day and the Day of the Dead are celebrated so what is your point?

I thought it was quite obvious what you were referring to and didn't have to be pointed out. Anyone with a minimum knowledge of the history of Mexico would have known that.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:22 pm

WDBarr wrote:Day of the Dead is not the same as Halloween. It is a custom that dates much further back in history, to the Aztec harvest festival, and has become a part of the Catholic tradition in Mexico. Have you seen the Calaveras Catrinas, elegantly dressed skeletons? This tradition is not as old, dating to the 19th century. Last year we spent the weekend in Guanajuato and young women from the university were parading around town dressed as Catrinas. This year we are spending the weekend in Patzcuaro where the most famous Day of the Dead ceremonies are practiced. Learning about the history and traditions of the people of Mexico is part of the joy of living here. BTW, Day of the Dead coincides with All Saints Day and All Souls Day, Nov 1 & 2, not October 31.  

Maybe here in Mexico, but Halloween (or it's preceding celebration) as a change of seasons, Samhain, dates back to the pre-Christian era in Ireland which became Christianized some 1200 years before Mexico. As here, it was incorporated into the new religion in a fashion. The druids of the pagan Celts had been celebrating that day (the midway point between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice) for centuries.
The Aztecas arrived much later to the party.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:52 am

Most cultures have and had rites around main events in life, change of season s etc..that were incorporated in a religion or another. The Aztecs were newcomers no questions about that but the Maya, and other groups celebrated a festival around that date no one has exclusivity on that one.
The Catholics success came from the fact that they incorporated the important pagan celebrations to their own and in Mexico they did a great job with the Day of the Dead.
The Aztecs were not the only one celebrating or honoring their dead around that date, most of the indigenous cultures did. The Aztecs were really late bloomers and as they had an empire which facilitated the the blending of the cultures but they actually came in very late in the history of Mexico or the world for that matter.

The Day of the Dead took on a new meaning with the Catholics in Mexico but as you say Slaintes this is by no way the beginning of the tradition which existed way before christianity.

By the way is Halloween part of the Catholic tradition in Ireland? It is not in France but the Celts in France retrieved to Bretagne or lost their identity when the Romans took over so it could be why it was not celebrated. I wonder what tradition the Gallegos in Spain have around that holiday since they also descent from the Celts.

I remember as a kid that the old people in the country would leave a light on as it was the night spirits and mostly bad on could visit, the superstitious people also would have the locks up side down to fool the witched but we it was not a holliday per say. Meanwhile All Saints Day on the fort was a big celebration  not a thrilling one but it is an important day .

The Maya in Yucatan actually pull the bones of their dead out and clean them before placing them back in their urn.
Patzcuaro is the famous one for its celebration but thee indigenous groups I know all have their distinctive way of celebrating,

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:55 am

WBarr English. is my third language after French and German . I forgot German but I spoke it before I started learning English. Very Happy

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next