INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any of you been to the Malecon today?

+7
otrocanuck
kiko
borderreiver
gvprod
juanrey
Zedinmexico
wildharp
11 posters

Go down

Any of you been to the Malecon today? Empty Any of you been to the Malecon today?

Post by wildharp Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:08 pm

There were teenagers who were giving up their Saturday to help clean up the gunk out of the lake. They were doing a great job along with others, maybe district employees, painting and various clean up jobs.  cheers
wildharp
wildharp

Humor : no

Back to top Go down

Any of you been to the Malecon today? Empty Re: Any of you been to the Malecon today?

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Which Malecon?

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Any of you been to the Malecon today? Empty Re: Any of you been to the Malecon today?

Post by juanrey Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Yes, I saw them down at the Ajijic malecon and many thanks to all those who volunteered their Saturday morning to help.
They did a great job.

Muchas Gracias
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Very few foreigners. Sad because the lake belongs to all that live here.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:41 pm

farting against thunder.. untill they clear from the east it will continue to flow down. need machines and weed killer. a few do gooders wont solve the problem.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:47 pm

Gotta agree. While it is a very good gesture, over the entire lake that crap probably grew as much as they cleared in one day. It grows unbelieveably fast. I have it in my turtle pond and every week I pull 50% of it out. You can almost watch it grow.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:17 pm

they did the same in chapala last week. made no differece unfortunately.the guy who runs the big palapa restaurant has already complained, and new chapala president has promised to try and get money from federal funds. but was no mention of san antonio nor ajijic in his statement,source informador this week...however its not as bad as previous years apparently. thought the new owner of the taquila restaurant might have kicked up a fuss, as many say he is a well known businessman with connections. or harry b might do something !! i wait with anticipation, but wont hold my breath. so turtles arent the answer then nor manatees ?

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:29 pm

That lirio is a real plague. The stuff grows faster that you can remove it and keeps coming down from the river, it is nicely fed by all the run off water and fertilizer so I am afraid that without the round-up it is a losing battle.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 pm

round up is king !! or queen, just to keep things politically correct.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:13 am

This stuff is biomass. It has value. It needs to be utilized. The water grass/seaweed that infested the Trent/Severin (sic) waterway system in Ontario was controlled by developing a machine to harvest it. I know, my professor cousin thought it up. That biomass became animal feed/ protein. In that case sheep love/d it. All that Lirio (or whatever it's called) is just tons and tons of beneficial goodness nourished by mountain water and too much fertilizer. Literally, it just has to be sucked up and composted, then back to the inefficient farm fields that started the whole mess. JOBS. $. There's a loop thing here and that is good.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:59 am

I believe this lirio has too many heavy metals in it from the pollution. It can not be used for animal feed or compost. Even burning it would probably not be wise. Perhaps some company can mine the heavy metals out of it and put them to use?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 am

Sounds like another great business opportunity for Monsanto,
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:29 am

interesting idea. would need to get samples tested, but i suppose the main problem is that its not here every year in such quantity and possibly theres not enough to sustain a business.dont know about higher up the lake or river. maybe woth looking into.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by otrocanuck Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 am

I stumbled upon the Chapala clean-up last week. Never heard it was happening and wish I had - I would have helped. As I watched the excavators and dump trucks haul it away I thought everyone's labor was a drop in the bucket for what was needed, probably right the lirio returned as fast as it was being removed. If it comes down the rivers would it not be best to control it where the rivers enter the lake and stop it from spreading over the entire lake?
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:41 am

Yes, I have also wondered why they don't corral it, shred it and haul it away right in the river. Seems like that would be less costly and more effective than trying to get rid of it after the fact.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:16 am

thats a far too sensible and logical idea. i suggested this some days ago on tob and they still think they are doing some good. i do like borderrivers idea if the stuff is harmless.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:45 am

borderreiver wrote:This stuff is biomass. It has value. It needs to be utilized. The water grass/seaweed that infested the Trent/Severin (sic) waterway system  in Ontario was controlled by developing a machine to harvest it. I know, my professor cousin thought it up. That biomass became animal feed/ protein. In that case sheep love/d it. All that Lirio (or whatever it's called) is just tons and tons of beneficial goodness nourished by mountain water and too much fertilizer. Literally, it just has to be sucked up and composted, then back to the inefficient farm fields that started the whole mess. JOBS. $. There's a loop thing here and that is good.

Whether it's harvested by a machine (good idea) and then used for some purpose isn't the main issue. If we could put it somewhere, let it dry out and burn it would be better than poisoning the lake with Roundup.........which, admittedly, works.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:01 am

problem is, to burn it would create smoke, increasing pollution. but really until its solved at source, that is the entrance to the lake, it will be an ongoing issue.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:05 am

I haven't heard of any adverse effects from when they used Roundup the last time. I didn't see any dead fish or wildlife after the fact.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 am

me neither, like most things in life, its a calculated risk.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:22 am

Yes you wonder what they do not take care of it in the Lerma to start with and at the entrance to the Lake. It would be there anyways as it grows and propagate fast but it seems it would be easier..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:31 am

the entrance to the lake would be the perfect place to start border rivers idea.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down