INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet!

+9
Ms.Thang
RVGRINGO
David
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
Rosa Venus
Lady Otter Latté
Chapalagringa
toedippers
13 posters

Go down

Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet! Empty Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet!

Post by toedippers Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:14 pm

A month or so ago my wife and I asked folks on this blog for advice as we prepared to travel to Ajijic to look for a home. We were overwhelmed by the responses and – although we didn’t follow every bit of advice given – we were/are so appreciative – we thought you might want to hear what happened…

We arrived on the Sunday after the hurricane – thankful to see so little damage and to hear people were safe – including family we have in El Gruyo. For the week we stayed at the Hacienda del Lago (a beautiful spot we enjoyed very much – with the possible exception of roosters crowing next door starting about 4am).

Over the next 5 days we saw (what felt like) every property for sale from Jocotepec to Chapala. We looked in the village, on the hills, gated and un-gated, old and new. We saw a beautiful French villa and we even toured Palacio del Sol (some call it the Taj Mahal – craziest layout – not practical in the least – but what a view).

In the mornings we walked malecons, in the evenings we ate at great restaurants and enjoyed relaxing in the plaza. We even went to church 3 times in the week (not bad for an atheist).

If I may - a quick shout-out to Terry Vidal from Lake Chapala Society – who took time out of his day to talk to us about the area and give us a great sense of the communities both local and expat in lakeside.

For the first few days, my wife (who’s from Mexico originally) had her mother and sister and sister’s husband all along for the house tours and we received lots of advice on how best to spend our life savings…

…and, after all that, my wife and I are thrilled to share that on the Saturday of our return to Atlanta, we bought a house in Ajijic!!

It’s everything we’d hoped for: big enough for family to visit, walkable to the plaza and malecon, not on a bus route nor busy street, lots of Mexican charm – but modern enough to be (hopefully) low maintenance and it looks like our neighbors will be a mix of locals and expats - which was always our hope.

We don’t take possession until the New Year – so we’ll be anxiously awaiting that next visit to pick up the keys.

Again – thanks to all for the support and advice (even that which we did not follow) we are so looking forward to being part of this wonderful community….

James and Claudia

toedippers

Humor : Lost in Translation

Back to top Go down

Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet! Empty Re: Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet!

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Congratulations! I hope your new home is all that you hope it will be! Being your wife is Mexican, you have a lot of insight that other expats do not. Welcome and enjoy! Bienvenidos!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet! Empty Re: Toedippers no more... we've jumped in with both feet!

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this outcome. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures in the new year.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Welcome and Congrats!!!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:33 am

Congratulations.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 am

Welcome and come visit me at LCS.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 am

Well done! Which neighborhood did you choose?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:23 am

May the time between now and possession pass quickly. Enjoy!

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:34 pm

The house sounds perfect! Most of my family lives in Atlanta too, I love it that I can get on a direct flight to Atlanta from Gdl and be there in a few hours. The new international terminal in Atl and the newish and improved one in GDL makes that trip so much easier than it used to be. Welcome, and enjoy your new home.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by toedippers Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 pm

David wrote:Well done!  Which neighborhood did you choose?

Probably the wrong answer - but I don't know....

we are a couple blocks up from the Carretera on Galeana - not sure what they call that neighborhood....scratch

jj

toedippers

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Is the "up" meaning on the mountain side of the Carreterra?  Or are you on the lake side?  Just curious.  The lake side of Galeana is a great spot for walking to everything.

Welcome!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm

What is the name of that Barrio ? San Sebastian?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by toedippers Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:09 pm

gringal wrote:Is the "up" meaning on the mountain side of the Carreterra?  Or are you on the lake side?  Just curious.  The lake side of Galeana is a great spot for walking to everything.

Welcome!

up means up the hill a couple blocks on the mountain side...
I'm afraid we'll have to risk crossing the carretara - good thing there' a stop light...

toedippers

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:56 am

Congratulations, look forward to seeing you sometime when you get down here. That's a nice location, very convenient for getting everywhere.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:30 am

toedippers wrote:
gringal wrote:Is the "up" meaning on the mountain side of the Carreterra?  Or are you on the lake side?  Just curious.  The lake side of Galeana is a great spot for walking to everything.

Welcome!

up means up the hill a couple blocks on the mountain side...
I'm afraid we'll have to risk crossing the carretara - good thing there' a stop light...

Bear in mind when crossing that many drivers here consider stop lights "a suggestion" and run them regularly.
Good luck!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by thomashellyer Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Congrats!! It is a beautiful house... -Thomas

thomashellyer

Humor : punny

http://www.chapalahomesales.com

Back to top Go down

Post by toedippers Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:30 pm

thomashellyer wrote:Congrats!! It is a beautiful house... -Thomas

thanks! we think so too....

td's

toedippers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down