INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala

+4
viajero
Ezzie
CanuckBob
Clueless
8 posters

Go down

need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala  Empty need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala

Post by Clueless Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm sad to say I'm looking for a plumber/electrician, preferably English speaking, to replace the one I have used for 8+ years.

No, he didn't die, move or become incapacitated.

I recommended him to my next door neighbor. He did a job and vastly overcharged her. In addition, a fitting he did leaked the next day and even though he said he guaranteed his work, he said it wasn't his "fault," and wouldn't even come out.

My neighbor called me and I went over with my tools and fixed it in 10-minutes; and it was the incorrect handling of a fitting by the plumber. It just took some white pipe tape and a wrench.

I rarely will make a referral since when I do, I feel I am to some degree, responsible for the honesty and quality of the worker.

Anyway, now I need a name/phone of someone you trust and have worked with.

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala  Empty Re: need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Some of the plumbers around here are horrible. One of the worst trained trades in this area IMO. I have seen stuff done by so called plumbers that anyone with an ounce of common sense would know wouldn't work or last long.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala  Empty Re: need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala

Post by Clueless Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:43 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Some of the plumbers around here are horrible. One of the worst trained trades in this area IMO. I have seen stuff done by so called plumbers that anyone with an ounce of common sense would know wouldn't work or last long.

This guy worked great for 8+ years; there was nothing that couldn't get done between the two of us (I do handyman work) and my tools, but I need someone for when I'm gone that my house-sitter can call if there is a problem.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:05 am

I'm with Bob on this one. I take care of a water system east of Chapala and I have yet to find a plumber I could recommend. Same thing with electricians. All of the trained good ones must head to the city where the money is better.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:47 am

I think the problem is that none of the local guys are properly trained. They get taught the same bad habits by their fathers and the beat goes on. Seems to be the case with most of the trades around here. I mean why would anyone still be mixing concrete on a piece of plywood out on the street. Cement mixers are cheap and readily available but heaven forbid to break tradition......jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:01 am

CanuckBob wrote:. Cement mixers are cheap and readily available but heaven forbid to break tradition......jaja.
In Guadalajara they are called chalanes/Albañil helpers and they rarely bother using plywood,they just mix it on the street.
Re;plumbers and electricians,most houses are wired with lamp cord and P traps are rare.
A US building inspecter would have a fit...
No doubt there are exceptions but that has been my observation as a retired contractor from California.

Last edited by viajero on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:19 am

Well to take it even further I doubt that just about any construction in Mexico, from a casa to a high end hotel, would even come close to passing inspection NOB. The only quality construction I have seen are by corporations who either bring in their own crews (Walmart, Autozone, Hilton, etc.) or who seriously manage every aspect of the job. I was at the Grand Luxxe (Vidante) complex a couple of weeks ago and saw things (plumbing/electrical) that were a joke and this is probably one of the highest end projects around.

The construction guys here are really good a putting lipstick on a pig.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 am

It's strange,there are some very good masons and carpenters here,just look at boveda ceilings they build here,but as far as the electricians and plumbers go....?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:07 pm

My problem is that I will be gone for a few days and should something happen, the lady who will be in the house knows less than nothing about plumbing/electricity.

I know if she just pulls a name out of a hat, when they see a woman, ignorant about plumbing/electric, they will rape her on the price.

Has anyone had anypositive experiences with an alleged plumber?

Something is better than nothing.

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Nope not yet.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zea Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:25 pm

OK Clueless - Here's a name of a reliable plumber/electrician to give to your house-sitter:

Miguel and Jorge Jimenez, a father and son team out of Ajijic and San Juan Cosala. Phone is 333-197-4001.
I don't know how much english they speak. Probably some.

The Jimenez father and son fixed a difficult-to-find problem with our irrigation system (that defeated a different plumber/electrician), and have never failed to show up when they said they would. And they have never tried to rip me off (and they helped me get around the gringo-pricing in Ajijic with regard to pump parts).

I feel comfortable recommending them for routine and emergency plumbing problems -- the only issues are their ability to speak english (which I just don't know), and whether they work as far east as Chapala (I assume they would, but...)

Zea

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 pm

The father speaks some ENglish the son does not.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

need recommendation for electrician/plumber in Chapala  Empty English speaking plumber/electrician

Post by holdrja Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Arturo Sanchez (333) 661-2193
lives in Santa Cruz, speaks good English, nice to deal with
There are definitely better plumbers out there - but Arturo is willing to tackle anything, he has done numerous small repairs for us over the years.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm

holdrja wrote:Arturo Sanchez   (333) 661-2193
lives in Santa Cruz, speaks good English, nice to deal with
There are definitely better plumbers out there - but Arturo is willing to tackle anything, he has done numerous small repairs for us over the years.

How is he on electric? Simple job.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Miguel does great work!

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down