INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaf cutter ants

+7
shana
Halfglass
juanrey
Klutzy
Gamina
Trailrunner
nthensome
11 posters

Go down

Leaf cutter ants Empty Leaf cutter ants

Post by nthensome Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Has anyone had success with slowing down these insects? No wonder the people who lived here had no garden...I can throw poison powder at them, but if if doesn't help, what's the point? I am very discouraged. Appreciate any advice.

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Leaf cutter ants Empty Re: Leaf cutter ants

Post by Trailrunner Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:40 pm

You can't just throw it at them you have to pour it into the nest.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:53 pm

I have put it in half a dozen holes and they make more. Should I be trying to dig into the holes? I read the nests can be large and deep. I am using powder.

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:43 pm

The white powder? Patron? Yes, the tunnels and nests are supposed to go all the way to Argentina. So they say.
No, you don't have to dig in to the holes. You may have to dose the nests a few times. Esp if you live next door to an empty lot or neighbors have a lot of nests. They'll stop eventually, but they'll be back. sorry
I know it's frustrating but you'll eventually get a bit of a handle on it or you'll just let them have at it. That's pretty much where I'm at, unless it's a prized plant! Nature's pruners.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:05 pm

Thank you. Behind my house is nothing but mountain. My neighbors have nice gardens. I must be feeding all the ants! Out after dark with my flashlight...

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Try Patron or Trompa. Works better than the white powder, doesn't stink like the powder and eventually you can make a big dent in the ant population. But they will come back. I got them to stay away for a whole year once, but they are now back so I'm fighting them again. They will also move their major entrance so you have to watch for that. Only use the pellets on the trails where you actually see ants. And don't let the pellet get wet. If the ground is damp from the gardener, I put the pellets on flat rocks or pieces of wood in the trail.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Klutzy Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:43 am

Is there any way to deal with them without poisons, or with gentler ones? Or a lizard, bird, or other animal that eats them?

Klutzy

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 am

Once i find the hole, I make a circle with the powder around the hole. That keeps the ones on the trails from being able to get back in the hole, and the ones inside the circle from getting out. Then I put the pellets inside the circle and close to the entrance to the hole and that seems to really help knock out a nest.
Right now they are gone, but they always come back. But this method helps control them.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:02 am

Ok this will sound disgusting but it worked for me. My soon to be father-in-law is a local Mexican man and a long time organic farmer. I had a nest of cutter ants and he told me to pee on the nest! (a man's pee not a woman) A few days after he told me this I finally got fed up with the ants and pee'd into the nest. To my surprise the ants outside the nest would never return and the ants inside the nest died (I'm guessing from hunger). This is a local remedy for the problem that the locals been doing for many years.

Back to top Go down

Leaf cutter ants Empty Trompa

Post by Halfglass Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:14 am

I too had a problem with cutter ants. I had just spent a bunch of money with the Chapala Tree Service, removing some trees and planting some very nice plants. To my horror a day or two later I went outside to see bare branches on the butterfly bushes they just planted.
Well they came and spread some Trompa around the area and that evening we watched the ants come and haul the small pellets off to their nest.
Happy to say after a week of application all of the ants are gone and have been for some time.
We still get an occasional attack, but are right there with the Trompa.
Seems to work for me.
Good Luck
Halfglass
Halfglass
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:25 am

Klutzy wrote:Is there any way to deal with them without poisons, or with gentler ones? Or a lizard, bird, or other animal that eats them?

The short answer is "NO". Leaf Cutter ants are aggressive plant "eaters" and must be dealt with by aggressive means. They can literally strip a tree overnight of all leaves (I'm not kidding)
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm

I use Cynoff. I get it at the hardware store. It is very inexpensive and is easy to use.
It is a powder that I put into a sprayer and add water. I use the least amount of water suggested and then shake it and spry around the holes and along the trails.
I was told by a very experienced exterminator to spray around the holes and not into the holes because you want the ants to bring things into the nest so that hopefully the queen eats some of what the worker ants bring in and that ends that family.
I am very satisfied with the results. Eventually they will return as not everyone nearby sprays their grounds so they go visiting.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nthensome Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Thanks for your sdvice. Now I need to find a man with a full bladder. Wonder if the amount of alcohol in the urine matters. Just kidding..

nthensome

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Oh dear, don't tell my dear husband or he'll be peeing all over the garden and probably get arrested.

I use Diatomaceous earth with good success. Could be I haven't had a serious outbreak?

And Halfglass - I love the Corgi!
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Klutzy Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:26 am

Me&BearDog wrote:Ok this will sound disgusting but it worked for me. My soon to be father-in-law is a local Mexican man and a long time organic farmer. I had a nest of cutter ants and he told me to pee on the nest! (a man's pee not a woman) A few days after he told me this I finally got fed up with the ants and pee'd into the nest. To my surprise the ants outside the nest would never return and the ants inside the nest died (I'm guessing from hunger). This is a local remedy for the problem that the locals been doing for many years.

Fascinating, thanks Me&BearDog!

Klutzy

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:20 pm

Cynoff is not dangerous for pets once it dries. I also use it in the house to keep the cucarachas at bay. I spray every 3 months around pipes and outer door frames.
No cucarachas.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:53 pm

We were touring an organic berry farm recently on the west end with the owner who is a friend. I asked him about leaf cutter ants and he pointed at all the orange peels on the ground. He said that what they use to control them. Never heard of that but didn't see any ants either.
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Me&BearDog wrote:Ok this will sound disgusting but it worked for me. My soon to be father-in-law is a local Mexican man and a long time organic farmer. I had a nest of cutter ants and he told me to pee on the nest! (a man's pee not a woman) A few days after he told me this I finally got fed up with the ants and pee'd into the nest. To my surprise the ants outside the nest would never return and the ants inside the nest died (I'm guessing from hunger). This is a local remedy for the problem that the locals been doing for many years.

What's the going rate (pardon the pun) for paying some guy to pee on the nests these days? Very Happy

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 pm

A whole new job market, a trickle down economy that can really work.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:55 pm

HA!

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Klutzy Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:A whole new job market, a trickle down economy that can really work.

Ah, that theory has finally found a workaround!

Klutzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down