INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bancomer

+10
DaveP
David
Zedinmexico
Carry Bean
slainte39
gringal
addtocart
viajero
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bancomer Empty Bancomer

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:24 am

Just looked at TOB and it appears someone who had their Bancomer account breached is getting shafted by Bancomer. If you have money with Bancomer, you might want to rethink that!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bancomer Empty Re: Bancomer

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:29 am

I wouldn't have money in any Mexican bank if I could avoid it. I've heard similar stories involving other banks here too.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:46 am

Me too, CB! And over the last 40 years in and out of Mexico I've seen this kind of thing over and over.

Additionally, I have a couple of Canadian friends who lost their whole account at Lloyd a couple of years ago. Poof! It just disappeared, along with the employee who managed the account for them. Apparently there were 2 other victims. They did everything they could. lawyers from Guad, letters, a year of follow ups, bla bla bla. Lloyd said oops, too bad, so sad. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:07 am

CanuckBob wrote:I wouldn't have money in any Mexican bank if I could avoid it.
Me either,but I can't avoid it due to family considerations.
I've been lucky with Banco Walmart now owned by Carlos Slim,no problems so far,fingers crossed.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by addtocart Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:23 am

Trailrunner wrote:Me too, CB! And over the last 40 years in and out of Mexico I've seen this kind of thing over and over.

Additionally, I have a couple of Canadian friends who lost their whole account at Lloyd a couple of years ago. Poof! It just disappeared, along with the employee who managed the account for them. Apparently there were 2 other victims. They did everything they could. lawyers from Guad, letters, a year of follow ups, bla bla bla. Lloyd said oops, too bad, so sad. . .
Finders, keepers.
addtocart
addtocart
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:37 am

Yep. Thirty thousand dollars worth. Plus 2 other accounts.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:58 am

I guess the best way to put it about Mexican banking is:  don't put any more in the account than you can afford to lose.

However, when Banamex USA threw its customers under the train, we had to find a place to get our SS checks auto deposited elsewhere. We didn't have another US checking account, and since the SSA is really picky about the truth; in the process, we needed to quit pretending we live in our mailbox in Laredo and give them our actual address, where they send a statement once a year to see if we're still alive.

I don't want to repeat the experience of  getting into a long and hopeless discussion about how easy it is to have a U.S. bank account if only you have some other person's address to use, or if only you already had the account when you moved to Mexico, or if only you were a veteran or if only you wanted to put a ton of your bucks into an investment account and actually buy some stocks/bonds in order to keep the account active...................(see TOB if you want to see how ridiculous this can get.  For one thing, hardly anyone reads anyone's original post)

After Banamex USA dumped us,  we went to Actinver where we had a "convenience" account and did what was needed to get our autodeposit there.  It's worked ever since.  Best of all, there's parking.  I'm not saying they wouldn't steal if they got the chance.  I've heard enough horror stories to think they all do.  

Not being complete fools, most of our modest fortune is earning almost zero interest, but is "safe" back in the U.S.A.
And, being a complete cynic at this point, I'm not sure anything is "safe" anywhere. One can hope.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:14 pm

Are you saying they won't accept a Laredo mail box address?
I qualify for US Social Security and use a Laredo address for them to send notifications and haven't had any problem.
How and what happened when SS decided they didn't like your Laredo address?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:54 pm

SS knew I was in Mexico since they deposit my check at Bancomer but after they were sending the verification letter to see if I was alive, regular mail & I got cut off, I asked if they would mail it to my Laredo address & they said "No."

They seem to think I live at Handy Mail here & I'm not telling any different. If one had a US bank account & used the Handi Mail address for it & registered as living in the US, I suppose it would work. If not, there's the rub.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:55 pm

slainte39 wrote:Are you saying they won't accept a Laredo mail box address?
I qualify for US Social Security and use a Laredo address for them to send notifications and haven't had any problem.

I am assuming that you don't receive SS checks in the Laredo P. O. box.

Our Laredo box was accepted (and still is) for "the usual" correspondence, but when Banamex USA closed our account where the SS checks were being auto-deposited, we had to fill out several pages (through the Guadalajara office) to have the checks deposited elsewhere.  That's when SSA insisted we give them our true home address.  They do know about those Laredo boxes anyway, since I once tried orderings stamps from the U.S. Postal service and they wouldn't accept that box as an address,  several years ago.

In my youth, I did time working for the SSA agency and was gobsmacked at the level of attempted fraud ordinary as well as criminal types would try.  Some of the schemes were worthy of bank-robber movies in their ingenuity. I'm not at all surprised that any change comes under suspicion. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Gringal. You keep saying "checks". Paper checks? You get your SS in the form of paper checks?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Sad part is from time to time we hear these kind of stories from all the banks here. Problem with having a second debit card and account is the 8000P minimum for no fees at Bancomer. This means you are typing up 16,000P for two accounts with no interest. Not a huge amount of money but its not spending change either. I wish you could turn the account off using an online banking service that exists at bancomer and than when you want to go to Costco/wherever you could log on before going and turn it back on and visa versa when back home with card locked up again.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:00 pm

I've ordered postage stamps twice from the US postal service & they sent them to the Laredo Handi-Mail address. Try again.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Sad part is from time to time we hear these kind of stories from all the banks here. Problem with having a second debit card and account is the 8000P minimum for no fees at Bancomer.

Another good reason to have your account at BancoMultiva where the minimum balance is $1,500 pesos.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:46 am

CI Banco minimum is only 1000.00 pesos
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:26 am

gringal wrote:

Our Laredo box was accepted (and still is) for "the usual" correspondence, but when Banamex USA closed our account where the SS checks were being auto-deposited, we had to fill out several pages (through the Guadalajara office) to have the checks deposited elsewhere.  That's when SSA insisted we give them our true home address.  They do know about those Laredo boxes anyway, since I once tried orderings stamps from the U.S. Postal service and they wouldn't accept that box as an address,  several years ago.

In my youth, I did time working for the SSA agency and was gobsmacked at the level of attempted fraud ordinary as well as criminal types would try.  Some of the schemes were worthy of bank-robber movies in their ingenuity. I'm not at all surprised that any change comes under suspicion. Rolling Eyes

I didn't even know that the SS sent checks as I thought it was all direct deposit,
What does your mailing address have to do with your direct deposit bank account as those are two different things, and I don't see where the US Postal Service sending stamps would be involved with SS rules.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:40 am

True, there are no paper checks; just direct deposits.
We did order US postage stamps with our Laredo address, but had to indicate that it was an apartment number, not a private POB or PMB number. It is a little tricky, but can be done and their computer will accept it.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:57 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Gringal. You keep saying "checks". Paper checks? You get your SS in the form of paper checks?

Haven't I already mentioned "autodeposit"?  I don't think anybody gets paper checks any more. I am guilty of using obsolete terminology.  Beat me with a wet noodle. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:58 pm

slainte39 wrote:
gringal wrote:

I didn't even know that the SS sent checks as I thought it was all direct deposit,
What does your mailing address have to do with your direct deposit bank account as those are two different things, and I don't see where the US Postal Service sending stamps would be involved with SS rules.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:10 pm

If an address is "unacceptable" to a government agency for sending items with a monetary value, such as a roll of stamps, then it is reasonable to assume that this is a government agency wide practice.

I think one apology for using the term "checks" instead of "funds" should suffice.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:27 pm

....or telling someone to "dial" a telephone number!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:16 pm

David wrote: ....or telling someone to "dial" a telephone number!

Should we say "punch in".......that has a nice ring to it, especially if you're calling someone you're a little pizzed at.
Like a bank.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:19 pm

With the frequent problems with MX banks, I don't understand why you don't just use a US bank account. Have your SS funds auto-deposited in a US bank account, and withdraw funds via ATM or other means. What am I missing here?

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 pm

angela04101 wrote:With the frequent problems with MX banks, I don't understand why you don't just use a US bank account. Have your SS funds auto-deposited in a US bank account, and withdraw funds via ATM or other means. What am I missing here?

What you are missing is the near-impossibility of opening a US bank account when you live in Mexico unless you already had one when you moved here. Banamex USA was the bank of choice for many of us, but they had "problems" and closed the accounts of expats who had them. Now, they are closing our credit cards accounts which we had in conjunction with those BanamexUSA accounts.

There are many people who have friends or relatives whose addresses they use as they pretend to still live in the USA.
This is not possible for many of us. Other than that, the U.S. does not want any new accounts from expats.
Why knows why? Not me.

There us no simple workaround. Most if us are not dummies and have tried the many possibilities suggested by others.
If you have a solution others have not already mentioned, please tell us about it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:29 am

I have a CapitalOne account using my daughter's address in the US. I must have done something right, so far no problem, even though I opened that account after moving to MX. I remember telling the bank that I live part-time in MX and part-time in US, which is true, but "part-time" is only a few days in US. So far so good.

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum