INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish...

+7
Carry Bean
Gamina
gpbasap
viajero
Twonk
gringal
Kiri
11 posters

Go down

For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish... Empty For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish...

Post by Kiri Thu May 19, 2016 10:52 am

Not Interested In Learning Spanish

For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish... Z
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish... Empty Re: For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish...

Post by gringal Thu May 19, 2016 11:26 am

If you're being serious........how about providing more information?

Doesn't look like that little bugger would work with hearing aids, though.

A lot of us are "interested" in learning Spanish and have made a try at it with classes, online courses, etc., but when you're getting deaf enough to have trouble understanding your English speaking friends, it is more than a "challenge" to converse in Spanish.  Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish... Empty Re: For Those Not Interested In Learning Spanish...

Post by Twonk Thu May 19, 2016 11:35 am

Click the link and you WILL see more information.

Twonk
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 19, 2016 11:41 am

Twonk wrote:Click the link and you WILL see more information.

Aha. I get the "dummy of the day" award. So that first sentence was a link. Clicked it now and it tells the story, but of course, without that pesky little matter of the price in the initial story. I'm sure some folks will want it. I have one of those translation things that are hand held, but that has limited usefulness in real time.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 am

Not interested in learning Spanish?
Just speak loudly and make hand gestures,works like a charm...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gpbasap Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 am

FYI
https://www.wareable.com/hearables/pilot-waverly-labs-translation-earbud
gpbasap
gpbasap
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 pm

viajero wrote:Not interested in learning Spanish?
Just speak loudly and make hand gestures,works like a charm...

Yeah, I've seen that in action at the checkout counter at Superlake. Those senoritas don't give it their proper level of appreciation. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Thu May 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Pancho lets the senoritas get away with being perfunctory and lazy. Even if you could speak perfect Spanish. Most of them wouldn't last an hour in the average grocery store in the US.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu May 19, 2016 6:55 pm

I though I was the only one that noticed that, Gamina. Probably not many that speak English in that type of job.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Thu May 19, 2016 7:27 pm

Cranky old people. Who'd have thought?
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 pm

At Super Lake it's the employees who are cranky.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu May 19, 2016 10:50 pm

gringal wrote:If you're being serious........how about providing more information?

A lot of us are "interested" in learning Spanish and have made a try at it with classes, online courses, etc., but when you're getting deaf enough to have trouble understanding your English speaking friends, it is more than a "challenge" to converse in Spanish.  Rolling Eyes

If you have trouble hearing and understanding English and it is your first language, then learning Spanish to have oral conversations would be almost impossible.  Learn to read and write it and you will have at least a 50% solution.  Without being able to speak and hear you can never really learn to think automatically in Spanish that is required for conversations. The ability to at least read and write will get you by....unless of course you are blind and have arthritic fingers.  Very Happy
Trying to translate everything said to you in Spanish to English in order to comprehend is hard enough to do even without having a hearing loss.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 20, 2016 10:13 am

slainte39 wrote:
gringal wrote:If you're being serious........how about providing more information?

If you have trouble hearing and understanding English and it is your first language, then learning Spanish to have oral conversations would be almost impossible.  Learn to read and write it and you will have at least a 50% solution.  Without being able to speak and hear you can never really learn to think automatically in Spanish that is required for conversations. The ability to at least read and write will get you by....unless of course you are blind and have arthritic fingers.  Very Happy
Trying to translate everything said to you in Spanish to English in order to comprehend is hard enough to do even without having a hearing loss.

I'm pretty good at reading Spanish, and reasonably good at communicating in Spanglish, so all is not lost.
Luckily, I can still see and move freely.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 am

Having hearing loss myself, I can understand you problem.  When speaking to Spanish speaking people, ask them to speak in a "voz mas fuerte".
Spanish is a very rule driven language and one of the easier ones to learn, except for the exceptions Very Happy  and irregular verbs.  Read the newspapers, listen to the radio, and then grab the dictionary to improve your vocabulary.
You are correct..... "aun quedan esperanzas"

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Fri May 20, 2016 12:33 pm

What are the chances that everybody you need to speak to in a day will have one of these? Do you carry a spare for them to use? Share?Shocked

I wonder if anybody is working on a great big red plug to pop into the mouth as a speaking aid?
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Fri May 20, 2016 1:33 pm

I had a woman show up selling TeleCable. She whipped out her smart phone, I whipped out my smart phone and all was good. We let the phones do the negotiation.

She took 150MXN for the installation and they were never seen again.

Maybe my phone insulted her phone.......

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down