INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forest Grill

+11
gringal
lakeside7
CHILLIN
brigitte
slainte39
borderreiver
Carry Bean
suegarn
CanuckBob
nolajoe
David
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forest Grill Empty Forest Grill

Post by David Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Anyone know anything about it?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Forest Grill Empty Re: Forest Grill

Post by nolajoe Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I went there today and had the filet steak sandwich and enjoyed it. It was served on a bun that is baked in a wood-fired oven. They do not have a traditional style hamburger (no ground meat). They are open from 9:00 am - 11:00 pm this week, then closed next week for "operational" changes. The plan is to re-open August 14 with free margaritas and maybe some specials. A very nice young man was there alone and I was the only diner. There were several picnic style tables with benches for seating. I had water to drink, but I did see that there was a small selection of wine and beer. I will go back after they re-open.

nolajoe

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Where is if located?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:02 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Where is if located?

I remember this food truck being parked beside Ancla restaurant and Que Ganga beside La Reserva in West Ajijic for a while.  They obviously moved it.  Haven't tried it yet. It's on the mountainside of the carreterra across from Yves' restaurant and Dental Express in West Ajijic.

https://www.facebook.com/Forest-Grill-178449195861312/

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 pm

The sandwich was made of filet mignon?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by nolajoe Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:26 pm

It is described on the menu as Filete / Filet. You can see the menu on their Facebook page.

nolajoe

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 pm

They have lengua. Nice
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Carry Bean wrote:The sandwich was made of filet mignon?

In Mexico, filete can be any solid piece of meat without bone and fat and not necessarily the French definition of filet mignon, (which is usually beef tenderloin and described on the menu as lomo or bife de lomo in Argentine Spanish)
Think fish filet....filete de pescado, huachinango, etc,

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:44 am

Two favorite dishes in my family are carne en su jugo, and puntas de filete, which are chunks of lean beef with all the other ingredients that go with it. The meat doesn't have to be tenderloin where filet mignon would come from.
Modern packing plants have machines that after the primal cuts have been deboned, they strip every last speck of meat off the bones, so that when the bones come out, they look like they have been laying in the desert for 50 years. The resulting meat is nutritious but has no texture other than mush, so stay away from frozen packing house produced hamburger patties because they will always be "mushy".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 am

In French we have faux filet , filet and filet mignon they are 3 different cuts not al filet is filet mignon

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:00 pm

There is definitely an "extender" for commercial ground meat, someone mentioned kitty litter, but I don't think that would be allowed (although is is type of clay). It is no different than when people add oatmeal, breadcrumbs, eggs, to their homemade patties.

Brigitte - I don't know if you knew this but Rey Taco, just behind Soriana in Chapala is run by two sons, both trade certified chefs, Marco and Christian (but I believe they are both working Baja right now). Their Father is a now retired French Chef from France, married to a Mexicana. When he helps in the kitchen, there are some really fine dishes, at very low prices (they have converted their house to be a restaurant and residence. Had his filet at Xmas, it was real good. This is homestyle Mexican food, with some international flair thrown in - like liver, bacon, veggie/onions and gravy, 80 pesos. The liver is from the U.S.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks chillin, I was there once or twice but I had pure Mexican fare.. did not know about the French chef or I would not have gone there.. ha ha..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:28 pm

CHILLIN wrote:There is definitely an "extender" for commercial ground meat, someone mentioned kitty litter, but I don't think that would be allowed (although is is type of clay). It is no different than when people add oatmeal, breadcrumbs, eggs, to their homemade patties.

Brigitte - I don't know if you knew this but Rey Taco, just behind Soriana in Chapala is run by two sons, both trade certified chefs, Marco and Christian (but I believe they are both working Baja right now). Their Father is a now retired French Chef from France, married to a Mexicana. When he helps in the kitchen, there are some really fine dishes, at very low prices (they have converted their house to be a restaurant and residence. Had his filet at Xmas, it was real good. This is homestyle Mexican food, with some international flair thrown in - like liver, bacon, veggie/onions and gravy, 80 pesos. The liver is from the U.S.

Super Liver and Bacon etc at CocinArt is 65 pesos. Their prices and quality and flavours etc., IMO are the best in town

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:58 am

It could be "kitty litter" but it is likely to be perlite, which is simply volcanic rock reduced to sand and heated to over 2000 degrees F, at which time it "pops" like popcorn and comes out white and "fluffy". This product is not poisonous, but it ain't "food". It's sold to nurseries as a soil amendment, but also to chicken and meat producers to add to feed. You can figure out where else it might be used.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Wow! Talk about people going 'off-topic'.... Rolling Eyes

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:49 pm

I continue to be surprised that people continue to be surprised that threads on web boards ramble off topic when they so often do.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:I continue to be surprised that people continue to be surprised that threads on web boards ramble off topic when they so often do.

Not surprised, just disappointed, I guess!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Why? They're just conversations. That's what conversations do, no? I think we enjoy our conversations. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Why? They're just conversations. That's what conversations do, no? I think we enjoy our conversations. . .

Usually, people will start a conversation under a different heading! If I see 'Forest Grill', that is what I think I'm going to find out about!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Did you? There's quite a few posts..
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Did you? There's quite a few posts..

Most of the posts unfortunately, had absolutely nothing to say about Forest Grill, which is what the title of the header is! Only about four out of the nineteen posts up to this point (excluding the OP) had anything to do with Forest Grill!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:18 pm

I found out everything I needed to know about Forest Grill and enjoyed the kibitzing. If you did not, just make a comment or ask a question to bring the thread back on topic.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 am

Yeah, I found out everything I needed to know about it too. I will now try it for myself.

I would surmise, Sue, what you see regarding FG is all anyone on this board knows about it. I think we heard from everyone who knows the place.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 am

It seems to me that the question was answered in the first 6 replies and then that troublemaker, Slainte39, steered it off course.  So in summary, anyone wanting to know about the topic OP can read the first 6 posts and continue to read the runoff.........or not.

Beer

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Honestly, I was just trying explain that the filete sandwiches (Forest Grill), didn't/don't always have to be the small end of the beef tenderloin strip, i.e., filet mignon.
Now, I'm going to hang my head in shame and see if I can quietly and SURREPTITIOUSLY sneak out of here.....to the land of Beer and lol!

Last edited by slainte39 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next