INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roberto's

+7
CanuckBob
simpsca
johninajijic
Parker
gringal
hockables
ferret
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roberto's Empty Roberto's

Post by ferret Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

This was our first dinner out since we moved here 3 months ago. We had friends from San Pancho with us and had a delightful evening. Love the various terraced garden settings and the great service. Fresh oysters on the half shell were the sweetest and tastiest I've had in many years. Also had the Shrimp Pad Thai which was very good...very subtle curry with coconut cream sauce. Others had the loin of lamb, the steak Diane and the seabass...all were happy.

I'm not great at descriptive restaurant reviews...just know that we'll be going back.
Roberto is quite a character with a great sense of humour!
Being able to leave the woofie alone (finally!) with her Thundershirt on as an anti-anxiety fix and knowing that she didn't howl the whole time we were gone, made the evening even more enjoyable.

P.S. It is not handicapped friendly...although the wide stairs do have a railing, it still took a while for my hubby to negotiate them.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Roberto's Empty Re: Roberto's

Post by hockables Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Your dog has anxiety attacks?

Bring him home some of Roberto's Carrot Fritters... that should cheer him up :)
Roberto's has some great Ambience... and the foods not bad either...

Huge number of stairs and I don't recall any ramp, so I don't believe its wheelchair friendly... :(

Last edited by hockables on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling... my bad)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Nope. It's definitely not wheelchair friendly, but if requested, the waiters will help get handicapped people up the stairs. I've seen it happen.
There is one table at the parking lot level that I've seen set up for dining. Probably for someone who couldn't handle the stairs. It's right inside the front gate. I'm sure they'd set it up if asked.

I'm glad to hear Roberto is recovered from his surgery and is back. Things seem to run much better when he's on the spot.

Re wheelchair friendly: I just read a favorable review on here about Hacienda Ajijic. West end of town on the lake side. $$ Specials on some days. It does have good access from the parking lot. Don't know if it's been mentioned before.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Lol ... as long as someone is helping person in wheelchair....

If the chair ever got loose or out of control....you'd be entering the place at the speed of sound
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Wouldn't you actually be leaving at the speed of sound.? Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:45 pm

gringal wrote:Wouldn't you actually be leaving at the speed of sound.? Shocked

Sorry... I was talking about Hacienda Ajijic.... some pretty serious slopes out there in the parking lot....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Heck, it's even scary to park your car there. Lol. Rolling Eyes
"Brakes, be my friends today".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 pm

I really want to thank you all about thinking of the issue of being in a wheelchair and the issues involved. We know how much we can handle so we always check out places before any commitment. Hopefully I can contribute.

Tonight we went to “Tabarka” (sp?) with really pleasant company so my opinion will be influenced, however I really enjoyed the food (this time), the better-half just thought it was sort-of-O.K.. My fish was slightly over cook, more so for the better half.

Somewhat difficult from car to entering the restaurant, minor slope but doable with someone with strength enough. The help there are willing and able to help. We parked right in front and got me in, then parked else where.

Personally I had a great time. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 am

Hacienda Ajijic has ramps, although parking is steep. Waiters will definitely help, same as Roberto's and most places. we have a friend in our Dinner group who is handicapped.

Don't go to Hacienda Ajijic on less than a 1/4 tank of gas or if you're low on gas because your car won't start when you come out. This happened to me and when Omar the Manager was there, they went to the gas station with their gas can and put gas in my car. I didn't even get my hands dirty.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 am

LOL... That describes the grade better than anything I could have thought of... good input John...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 am

johninajijic wrote:Hacienda Ajijic has ramps, although parking is steep. Waiters will definitely help, same as Roberto's and most places. we have a friend in our Dinner group who is handicapped.

Don't go to Hacienda Ajijic on less than a 1/4 tank of gas or if you're low on gas because your car won't start when you come out. This happened to me and when Omar the Manager was there, they went to the gas station with their gas can and put gas in my car. I didn't even get my hands dirty.

That's amazing John! I've lived here long enough, Parker, to know any restaurant of a decent size with some strong waiters will usually be happy to help carry you in wheelchair into a restaurant. I say of a decent size meaning that there are enough waiters to do that. A few small restaurants may not have more than one waiter or waitress.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Went to Roberto's for dinner last night. Food was excellent as usual. I had the monkfish. We chatted with Roberto for a while. Very nice fellow.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:38 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Went to Roberto's for dinner last night. Food was excellent as usual. I had the monkfish. We chatted with Roberto for a while. Very nice fellow.

His food is inconsistent especially when he is not there. He's high priced for the portion size that he gives. I crossed him off our Dinner Groups list. Many people like it because of the ambiance, but I don't eat ambiance.

Jardin de Ninette, Hacienda, Bruno's, Tango, Tony's, Manix are better restaurants with good portion sizes for the same or less money.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 am

Well that means it will be easier for me to get in then.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:14 am

Couldn't get reservations for St Patty's dinner, it shows many people enjoy Robertos as well. I guess John is in the minority and that means less competition for reservations. LOL

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 am

itsme wrote:Couldn't get reservations for St Patty's dinner, it shows many people enjoy Robertos as well. I guess John is in the minority and that means less competition for reservations. LOL

How far ahead did you try to make reservations? What was his price?

You could have gone to Manix. They do great dinners on St Patty's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. We went to Manix last year. Tons of food buffet style. Hector, the owner really knows how to run a restaurant and treats his customers right. THE most "consistent" restaurtant in Ajijic and the oldest.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 am

I love John's "portion size" critiques. Both of us are so stuffed after any of his lunches or dinners that there is no way we could order dessert.

A quick look around lakeside will show you a bunch of people who overdid their portion size, and then some.

I was happy to see that his new Sunday Brunch includes a very large fruit plate instead of the former heavy duty "salad" selections, which, if you did a good job finishing, left little room for the brunch entrees. The fruit plate does include some salmon and cream cheese, for those who favor it.

Yeah.........John should replace Roberto's on his "list" with an All You Can Eat joint. I think Bubba's has a day for that.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:20 am

gringal wrote:I love John's "portion size" critiques. Both of us are so stuffed after any of his lunches or dinners that there is no way we could order dessert.

A quick look around lakeside will show you a bunch of people who overdid their portion size, and then some.

I was happy to see that his new Sunday Brunch includes a very large fruit plate instead of the former heavy duty "salad" selections, which, if you did a good job finishing, left little room for the brunch entrees. The fruit plate does include some salmon and cream cheese, for those who favor it.

Yeah.........John should replace Roberto's on his "list" with an All You Can Eat joint. I think Bubba's has a day for that.

I guess you don't eat at any other restaurants to see portion size differences, so you can't make that comment. Try going to Manix, Jardin de Ninette, Hacienda, Tony's, Armando's, or Panino and post here what you size portion you got.

I guess you never read his Lunch menu that says his Lunches are smaller than his Dinners. There's not much on the plate for lunch, but that's fine for most of the old foggies who eat there.

I don't require a lot of food and don't like Buffets as I only get one reasonable size portion. And we would never eat at Bubba's after all the negative reviews and the type of food he serves.

I have had a few unsatisfactory meals at Roberto's, so I tell it like it is. Too bad if you don't agree with me. Try going to Manix, Jardin de Ninette, Hacienda, Tony's, Armando's, Panino for consistent quality food. Roberto's has constantly raised his prices since he left the waterfront of Lake Chapala. He's nearly double what he used to be for inconsistent food. We have better places to spend our money. I've seen times when his waiters are slow too.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:16 pm

John, I've been to every restaurant you named, more than once. We enjoy dining out and do so several times a week, usually for lunch but when we're with friends, it's dinner.

IMO, "portion size" is not what it's about. It's about the quality of the food.

Long ago, you complained that a 90 year old would be underfed with Roberto's stuffed shrimp. I tried it. It was such a rich dish that I was barely able to finish it. My esposo, over 6 ft. and with a hearty appetite, has never felt underfed there. I just don't get what you're complaining about.

Inconsistency, yes......that's legitimate. When "the man" isn't there, things take a slide. That's true with every restaurant I've ever patronized.

Of course the lunch plates are smaller than the dinners. That's why the lunches cost less. Duh? Speaking of $$$, have you noticed the "price creep" at Panino's this year? It's substantial.

Of course prices are higher. Costs don't go down. Try comparing the price of ground beef from 5 years ago, or just about any other staple. Even (gasp) wages have gone up.

As another poster said............now that your dinner group has crossed Roberto's off your list........it will be easier to get a table when it's busy.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Without Roberto's on the list and with LAURENT, so unfortunately gone, we are now able to put Tony's back on the list as well as trying Yves which may prove to be good, especially the lakefront view.

We haven't eaten at Panino in over a year and I know prices have gone up, some were complaining, but she's ALWAYS consistent, has great sevice and the place is very clean. We have friends who eat at Panino's 2 to 3 times a week.

The people who were complaining were just plain CHEAP. Where can you eat in the US for $ 7.00, not even at McDonalds or Burger King?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 am

Seems you were the one complaining...................

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 am

We've never been disappointed at Robertos. We love the atmosphere and the food. Just goes to show you how personalized restaurant preferences are.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 am

I do not enjoy Mannix on a holiday. They had three chances and failed each time. I think I should be served on a holiday when I am not the one in the kitchen. I have had friends look forward to Brussel Sprouts which were cold, one was charged for wine she never had, etc. I have had a nice lunch and dinner at other times. Holidays, never again.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 am

Restaurants here often don't handle crowds well. I can understand it for the thinly staffed, lower dollar places but when we went to Four for the last Galen concert, the service was chaos. Unacceptable at that price IMO.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 am

It's to the point where we stay home on holidays most of the time. None of the restaurants can staff up for the occasions sufficiently to handle a full house. Some do a better job than others......but just the frantic vibe is stressful. So......you wait, and wait. Not fun, like holidays are supposed to be.

Back yard barbie with friends becomes much more appealing.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next